Author Topic: Critters and Pets  (Read 353587 times)

Morning Glory

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 01:45:40 PM »
My/our dog.  As all labs do, eats everything including his poo.

chcmd

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:15 PM »
Oooo beauty dog!  My beagle is a poo eater too, his preference however is Kittie poo. yucky.

Thing is though Kitty is a real puker, which has always really grossed me out (especially when I have stepped in it!).  Hubert the beagle is A1 at cleaning it up ASAP.  Super icky to think about, but handy as hell!
Feel the fear and do it anyway

Morning Glory

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »
Quote from: chcmd
Thing is though Kitty is a real puker, which has always really grossed me out (especially when I have stepped in it!).  Hubert the beagle is A1 at cleaning it up ASAP.  Super icky to think about, but handy as hell!

Yesterday, as I was posting, as a matter of fact, the cat puked and then ate most of it and then the dog came along and ate the rest.  He then licked the carpet clean and there is no stain at all.  They're so handy to have around.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
On the topic of 'critters', we're suffering through a particularly bad black fly season here, probably due to the cold, wet weather we've had this spring. Nasty little things are all teeth, and they're everywhere.  :(

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Critters and Pets
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:18:08 AM »
Och, Morning Glory -- what a glorious mug that guy has! Hugs to him. :)

Boomer, such a coincidence. Just a couple of days ago, a friend here was telling me about having a black fly trapped in her bed one night last week, bite bite bite all around her midsection.

It was news to me that we had such critters. I've been bit here by fleas and bees and mosquitos, but never, I think, by black flies (knock on wood). She lives on a ravine, though. That might do it.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
It was news to me that we had such critters. I've been bit here by fleas and bees and mosquitos, but never, I think, by black flies (knock on wood).

I'm going hunting for the critters tonight. If I bag a few blackflies, I'll be happy to ship them to you. We have some American big game hunters up here for the Annual Black Fly Shoot. It's a big event. We're thinking of strapping saddles on these critters and having our own Coastal Stampede to rival Calgary's. Hope the Humane Societies don't come after us - after all, ridin' blackflies is terrific sport, and they seem to enjoy it as much as the spectators do. Then there's Blackfly Burgers, but you need to develop a taste for this.

anne cameron

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 10:55:49 AM »
What we call blackflies on this coast sound downright puny alongside yours.  We can't even get a saddle near them, let alone on them, and I think if you tried riding bareback your weight would hold them down, they probably wouldn't get more than eighteen inches clearance from the grass.  Any blackfly burgers we eat are mostly of the inadvertant kind, you know, the squadron comes screaming down in vee formation to grab the meat on the grill and there's a sudden fat-flare, the wings are singed, they fall onto and become part of the patty and...

they bite like hell, though, especially seem to love the hairline at the back of the neck so you wind up with bloodstained neckline on your summer tee's.  Skin So Soft kind'a sort'a works to repel them, which is great because any of the "off" or "scat" or other commercial bug repellents leave me with huge itchy welts which burn and are worse than the fly bites.

We are most pestered with "no see'ums".  So small they can easily fly through the holes in the window screens.  A black fly seems to be able to anaesthetize your skin before it chomps so you don't know until later on that you've been devoured.  A no see'um doesn't bother with that it just bites and it's like a pinpoint of fire.  Terrible little buggers live in grass, and even the dogs get chewed raw.

Lilli is not yet two and has a black fly bite on the side of her face, near the corner of her eye.  She is so swollen she looks lopsided.

Our big vermin war this past winter has been head lice.  Jesus!  Just when you think you've got rid of them the kids come home from school with more of them.  We've used everything from commercial preparations to plain old mazola oil and those little nit combs, and I've read everything I can find about them.  Supposedly they can only live on the head, and only within certain temperatures and die if they're off the head for more than however long and...bah!  They've crossed with cockroaches , I think, another vermin form which will survive nuclear holocaust.  Just when we were beginning to think we'd won the struggle...we'd been a week and a half with no sign of the little christers... the goddam landlady let some stranded people stay in her downstairs flat for a few days.  They had a four year old.  My grandgrrrrls are four and five years old, the sun was shining, all the kids playing outside, here comes new girl, very excited, wanting to play...hair all neatly braided and looking so cute and...I took out some freezies and nearly flipped, her head was full of little white nits, looked as if someone had poured salt on her head...things creeping and crawling and...and we were off again, on another great episode of head lice.

I'm hoping the no see'ums will develop a craving for head lice blood and start a war with them or something.  Probably all that will happen is they'll breed and we'll have squadrons of flying head lice running interference for the black flies.

and then there are the slugs ....

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »
We get  "no see'ums" too. Awful little buggers, they are. But the blackflies are currently the bane of my existence, as I think I'm allergic to them. Anytime we manage to bag any of these devils, we have them shipped out to the taxidermist so we can mount them on the wall. They're highly prized by American big game hunters. Even the occasional African big game tour guides come up here to marvel at these beasties, but we arm them with 12 gauge shotguns before letting them off into the bush. Actually, some of our friends from down south reccomend 50-caliber Gatling Guns for our fearsome blackfly infestation. One of our guys here has a used Sherman Tank left over from WWII that he uses when the blackflies mount a counter-offensive.

lagatta

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »
Boom Boom, I have allergies to biting insects of a similar magnitude to the respiratory ones that would make it difficult for you to live in Ottawa or southern Québec. Even ordinary mosquitoes give me welts like bee stings.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 12:57:54 PM »
I have bumps on the back of my head and neck from black fly bites. Very irritating. I can't live in Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto because the heat in summer is more than I can bear. Anything more than 80F and I'm a cranky old puss.  I have breathing problems in high humidity. The weather here is about perfect for me, although a bit cold in winter.

Timebandit

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 01:00:18 PM »
As all labs do, eats everything including his poo.

Gorgeous mutt!  I love Labs!

Kali's a Lab cross, and will eat poo, or rather did...  When she was first brought to my house, when the blond guy and I had just started seeing each other, I let her have the run of the place.  Didn't occur to me to shut the door to the room where the kitty litter was...  Kali must've thought "Oooh!  Hors d'ouvres!", because she ate every lump.  She came back upstairs, and I put 2 and 2 together, having been a Lab owner most of my life, but the blond guy stuck his nose right in her face -- Whoof!  Never saw a man jump back so fast!  Cat-shit breath!   :lol:

Fortunately, Kali only ever needs to be told "no" once.  I'm not sure what the cross with the Lab is, but damn, that dog is smart.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »
My brother on his farm near Merrickville had a series of black Labradors and also I think a Husky and then two Golden Retrievers. Needed big dogs to run off the foxes that would raid the chicken coop. Darn foxes would make a huge mess unless the dogs were outside. All of the dogs were child-friendly and great companions. They also had about a dozen cats to keep the rodent population under control. All summer long one door would be kept open in the house and all these animals came and went at their leisure. I think even the resident geese got inside once.  Pure chaos, but it was fun.

lagatta

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 09:22:16 PM »
Bootiful puppy!

By the way, nothing specifically to do with critters, but Merrickville is a most beautiful Eastern Ontario town. Lots of limestone buildiings from the Rideau canal-building period.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 10:08:23 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
By the way, nothing specifically to do with critters, but Merrickville is a most beautiful Eastern Ontario town. Lots of limestone buildiings from the Rideau canal-building period.

Indeed. My brother helped to set up three businesses in Merrickville.  I used to go back every summer for their Artists Festival. Incredible.

ETA: Merrickville was always a few degrees cooler than Ottawa, so it was a nice place to walk around. Then I'd head back to Ottawa and my a/c hotel room in the evening. Can't believe how hot Ottawa gets now in summer - was never like that when I was growing up. I don't think it ever reached 90F in the 1960's.

lagatta

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »
Strange humans. I was buying a big sack of catfood at an animalerie where they also have cats and sometimes dogs for sale (they take good care of them, and a lot of the Siamese cats are reared on the spot). There was a lovely black, half-grown kitten who had been returned to the shop - because his humans had broken up. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, wouldn't you want a warm, furry little guy if your human has given you the boot?

Hope he finds more dependable humans...

Boom Boom, as far as I know Merrickville still has better air than Ottawa - indeed Ottawa does get a "close" summer air that we don't get as much in Montréal, although we are a much larger city with pretty much identical temperatures, probably because we are an island and get quite a breeze off the lake where the Ottawa flows into the Saint Lawrence, and the Saint Lawrence itself. No other explanation I can think of.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT