Author Topic: Critters and Pets  (Read 353560 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Critters and Pets
« Reply #2745 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
I'm very sorry Tildie has passed away. It is sad news, or rather bittersweet news as she had a good run and passed away in the manner we'd all prefer.  :angel_cat

My Renzo, who was born almost the same time as Minnie and Tildie, is still alive and reasonably well, but his kidneys are no longer working very well (he pees a lot, have to change his box at least once a day). I doubt he will live very much longer, but he has rallied with the spring sunshine and revels in it.

Renzo was a stray kitten who adopted me so I don't know his exact date of birth, but the vet looked at his teeth and could tell me how many weeks old he was.

I'd been wondering about the kitties, and especially Minnie and Tildie...

Funny, I always think of the Dunblane massacre happening longer ago...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #2746 on: March 13, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
she had a good run and passed away in the manner we'd all prefer. 
She went to sleep in one of her usual spots and just didn't wake up.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2747 on: March 15, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
Sorry to hear about Tildie but I'm so glad the rest of the gang, including Ms. skdadl, are doing well. Thanks for the update, pogge. (I always figured young Grace would remain a super svelt kitty into adulthood.)

A good news update, Queenie had 5 teeth extracted yesterday but was back to eating dinner no worse for wear. :applause
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I'm still so sad about Tildie, who is the same age as my Renzo, the being I love most in the world.

Glad to hear about Queenie!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: March 25, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
Eaglets at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton, first time in DECADES!  :applause

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/03/25/hamilton-eaglets-hatch-at-rbg.html
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
That is wonderful, Toe!
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2752 on: May 26, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 26, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:15:35 AM by Toedancer »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: May 26, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
Yeah, and some of the commenters think the elephants would be fine at the "African Safari"...

There is a big move now not to house tropical or warm-temperate animals in regions with a cold winter, where they have to spend winters in captivity, even if they are free to graze and roam (in very large enclosures) in warmer weather.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 01, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
CBC is going to run something on the whole thing tonight.

This is a wonderful little vid - Mother otter teaches her 1 month old pups how to swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QpTqV6LPl8c#!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 01, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Those are lovely; there are also otters at the Biodome here in Mtl.

I also looked at the story of the Columbus Zoo's gorillas, but, although they have thrived, it was upsetting as the first two were captured as children in Africa (i.e. taken away from their parents...) And they are too close for comfort.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: June 01, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
We have wild otters (only a few...)  here. I don't know how they adapt to salt water.  :confused

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2759 on: June 02, 2013, 07:40:24 AM »
River otters do very well in the ocean here on the west coast, hanging out at the local marina where they are not universally adored on account of the outrageous mess they make. A pair came up the creek and nested under my house one summer. People coming over would say - what's that smell? - and I'd say - I don't smell anything.

Return To TAT