Author Topic: Federal govt. creates mental health commission  (Read 6700 times)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re: Federal govt. creates mental health commission
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
Bizarrely, Alberta has the best asset limits for PWD (~100K).  Those provinces that require a person to be destitute before they become eligible for disability benefits ultimately create a total dependence, and make people very vulnerable.  Sadly, two of the worst provinces as far as disability benefits go are Saskatchewan and Manitoba - NDP provinces.  Manitoba is pathetic.

BC is actually in the middle of the pack, while Alberta and Ontario treat PWD better than anyone else (in Canada).  Not that they are good, they just compare well with the other provinces.  Sweden puts us all to shame, as usual.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

BlueGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
Toedancer, I agree with you in principle here but I fear that one of your groups in need of identification might be the "mentally ill."  Identification breeds stigma and we have suffered enough.  We have our own legislation, in fact.  Legislation which violates our Charter.

Why can't we just leave it as "people in need"?  Combine all the ministries into one big one called "the Dole."  If you need it, you take it.  If you don't need it, you contribute to it anyway.  No more senators' commissions.  No more 16 page application forms.  No more women staying in abusive marriages because they can't afford to leave.  

It's been proven scientifically that it's cheaper to house the homeless and feed the hungry than let them suffer.  The homeless cost society a lot in terms of police and emergency services.  They also reflect very poorly on our society.  If you can't walk by a storefront at night without seeing one of "all the lonely people," then something has seriously broken down in the social order.  

These issues just must be addressed.  And I'm afraid to death that Premier Gordon Campbell will "solve" the problem by declaring the homeless mentally ill and having them reinstitutionalized just in time to tidy up the streets for the 2010 Olympic in Vancouvers.  I am not alone in this fear.

BlueGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »
Quote from: arborman
Those provinces that require a person to be destitute before they become eligible for disability benefits ultimately create a total dependence, and make people very vulnerable.

Many years ago, a ratbag Social Credit (the old Socreds are now "Liberals") social assistance minister by the name of Grace McCarthy actually publicly stated that those in need should run up their credit cards to the max BEFORE applying for public assistance.  I could never hear "Amazing Grace" again without barfing.

And, back to Toedancer's point about unpaid care, money is an extraordinarily shitty indicator of the value of a transaction.  There are entire communities that would fall apart without the mutual support and volunteer work that women do.  Here, on the psych ward, most therapeutic interactions are between female patients.  My parents were not paid to raise me but they did the best they could.  I'm glad I wasn't sent to boarding school.  I had good parents but nobody paid them a dime for their trouble.  Capitalism continues to look uglier and uglier.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
Quote from: BlueGrey
 We have our own legislation, in fact.  Legislation which violates our Charter.

Indeed that is true. Pls. BlueGrey I have my own activism work separately and that is what I concentrate on. I do not ever negate your input, I like it. It's just that I am pissed right now with Kirby's '07 report which totally left out 'the disabled by occupation'. It is a sacred cow and we know why. The Charter also covers the 'the disabled', which is why of course the Compo Boards have brainwashed every funded "Injured Worker" group to use the word Injured rather than Disabled. It is marketing, it is diabolical and it works. And it violates the Charter, but no one has 6 years or $1M to get to SCC. Meantime the so-called IW groups that get to the table HAVEN'T seen that simple fact yet.

Not even the Unions have disavowed that simplistic, ridiggulous term.

You have a different mission, yet altogether we continue to be stepped on. Chin Up, Don't Give Up.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

BlueGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
Chin Up, Don't Give Up.

Okay, Toedancer.  Sure gets tiring sometimes, though, doesn't it?

Quote from: Toedancer
And it violates the Charter, but no one has 6 years or $1M to get to SCC.

Our only hope is to get the BC Civil Liberties Association or some such group interested enough to get on board.  Seems to me the BCCLA is much like the UCLA protecting David Duke's freedom of speech and not giving a shit about mental patients' freedom of thought.  I swear that in my lifetime we will see the Provincial Mental Health Acts overhauled if not repealed.  Starson v. Swayze was an SCC decision that was decided in favour of the mental patient, Dr. Starson.

abdulla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 04:23:32 AM »
Taking the first major step in its mission to evaluate and then provide recommendations for systemwide improvements in this nation’s mental health system, the President’s New Freedom Commission on Mental Health holds nothing back in decrying the current system as fragmented and in disarray in its interim report released last week.
-------------------
Roopa

Alaska Drug Addiction

Return To TAT