Author Topic: APEC Security is a joke  (Read 5779 times)

APEC Security is a joke
« on: September 07, 2007, 03:12:44 PM »
Some really funny stuff from The Chasers on YouTube mocking the $140 million dollar security steps taken to protect Bush and others at APEC.

Found it on Crooks and Liars first.

Hilarious

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
:rotfl:

eph, that is priceless. And they used a Canadian flag on the limo!   :rotfl:

I love those guys. The second video at C&L is hilarious too.

ETA: I also love their definition of APEC:

A
Pointless
Expensive
Crock

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »
:D http://www.bumsnotbombs.org/

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8tjl2Opt0U

ETA: Awww...only 50 people showed up :(  Ah well. I guess it's barely springtime there, eh?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
Anyone recognize Suzette in those, ah, views?   :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
Perhaps Osama can pose with all the gyus + Bachelet when they are dressed up in their silly costumes. Guess they'll be Crocodile Dundee types - I'd be hard-put to see some of them as scantily-clad Aborigines...

Or perhaps they won't dress up as humans at all. Kangaroos?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

suzette

• View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:02:57 AM »
It's  ridiculous, the news  stories  on this have  been  all  outrage: how  dare  they make a mockery,  could have been shot, just not funny, gone too far this time, blah, blah, blah.  Surely the outrage  should be that the government spent, how much? 170 million? of MY  dollars on APEC security, and a  bunch of  well-known satirists  just waltz on through!  As one of the cast said at the time, lucky  it was them and not someone intent on harm.  

I watched The Chaser last week, and they were posing  as APEC security in Melbourne.  I won't bore you with the details,  but the upshot is that a real security guard challenged them at a train station, so the Chaser guy demanded to see his ID, then told him to get lost because he outranked him.  So the security guy did just that!  Or perhaps that's now ex-security guard.

The Chaser is a bit hit-and-miss for my taste, but  when they're good they really do show the government/media/target-du-jour up for what they are. I was thinking that they'd jumped the shark with this latest series, but after this stunt I'm back on board.  We need good political and social satire to keep our eyes  open.

And I must go and find out  what the official APEC silly outfit was.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »
Quote from: suzette
so the Chaser guy demanded to see his ID, then told him to get lost because he outranked him.  So the security guy did just that!

:rotfl:

Don't try this at home, kids.   :wink:

Hi, Suzette. How's the menage?

suzette

• View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 07:16:24 AM »
Hi, my lovely.  We're in the pink!  Thanks for asking. I'll stick a couple of pics  in the brag thread, when I  find it.  ;)

lagatta

• View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:17:05 AM »
Yes, hi suzette, lofty, twins, fauna and flora!

I haven't seen any pics of the annual silly outfit yet... Which of course is also a waste of taxpayers' money.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:20:32 AM »
Hi Suzette! Pics would be fabulous. It's in the Parenting forum.

I saw that video too where the Chaser put up ropes in front of the escalators and wouldn't let people past them. I think that in the end, the security guard came back all flustered and chased him out. I'll find it on YouTube.

ETA: It's part of the 2nd link I posted toward the end.

suzette

• View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:36:16 AM »
Yes, eph, that's the one.  Didn't realise he came back.  What a  shame. ;)

As for  the outfits: Drizabone coats. Is it possible to cringe and yawn  at the same time?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 07:49:32 AM »
Dubya would have loved those -- they look something like the old Texas dusters that cowboys wore, although they're short -- dusters are longish, mid-calf or lower.

The fabric is a kind of oilcloth, yes? And there's a strip inside each front flap that you can snap around your leg so that the coat stays in place when you get on your horse?

lagatta

• View Profile
APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
But while those are a mite rustic for the big city, they don't look nearly silly enough...

And hey, there are actually THREE women leaders, Arroyo, Bachelet and Clark!
Rosa Luxemburg

APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 04:46:48 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Dubya would have loved those -- they look something like the old Texas dusters that cowboys wore, although they're short -- dusters are longish, mid-calf or lower.

He probably also enjoyed the hat they got to wear with their coats.

deBeauxOs

APEC Security is a joke
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 04:53:08 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
And hey, there are actually THREE women leaders, Arroyo, Bachelet and Clark!
... I noted an agenda item - that the First Wives ... er, Ladies had a visit to the Zoo.  Are the First Gentlemen, spouses to their countries' leaders, invited also?  :?

Return To TAT