Author Topic: Grit-ty drama unfolds in Outremont.  (Read 13351 times)

John_D

• View Profile
Grit-ty drama unfolds in Outremont.
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:12:40 AM »
First off, there's the CTV polls that show the Liberals trailing badly in Roberval and Saint-Hyacinthe, but more unexpectedly being behind the eight ball by six points in Outremont, with the vote coming on Monday.

Second, there's Chantal Hebert's often dead-on column, pointing out just how far up Excrement Creek the Stephane Dion led Liberals have managed to get in Quebec without the benefit of a paddle.

And third, my morning paper today had an a very intriguing article (I can't find a link as yet unfortunately, so you'll have to take my word for it) that
pro-Ignatieff forces within the party are deliberately sandbagging in Outremont, hoping the NDP will win and that they can then call for Dion to resign.

Can't these clowns ever get along? Actually, I hope they don't, watching them infight is quite entertaining. I'm just going to sit down with some beer and popcorn and watch the Grits implode. Again.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
Monday I'll be:  :popcorn  :popcorn  :popcorn  :popcorn

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »
Mulcair is certainly leading in signage - not just street signs, but also signs in front of people's houses. Of course NDP supporters will be more likely to sport signs - also because opposition to the war(s) is a factor.

I have friends who are working for Mulcair. Couldn't bring myself to because he says the NDP is not "pro-Israel enough"  :roll: - though he does support a two-state solution as pretty much everyone in the NDP does. Still, I do hope he wins.

I have been reading the babble thread on this...

Outremont federal riding edges very close to my place.. It includes Outremont, Mile-End and a good part of Côte-des-neiges.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »
:?: I must have missed something (wouldn't be the first time!!) but I thought that Mulcair had largely gained from former Bloc supporters, rather than Lib. Obviously there's some Lib defection, but isn't the Bloc support somewhat reduced in that riding?  

I will go do my homework  :oops:
Quote from: lagatta
I have friends who are working for Mulcair. Couldn't bring myself to because he says the NDP is not "pro-Israel enough"

Yes! Now I remember...I think you posted a link to an article about Mulcair that really disturbed me, lagatta. It was a few months ago, or maybe as far back as Feb/March.

Edited to fix mispledding of Mulcair  :oops:

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
democraticSPACE has the Jan 2006 Outremont returns: 35% Lib, 29% BQ, 17% NDP, 13% Con, 5% Green.

Last week's poll indicated 38% NDP, 32% Lib, 14% Bloc, with 41% former Bloc voters throwing-in with Mulcair.

This'll be kinda interesting. Somehow I don't see a Lib loss in Outremont resulting in an Ignatieff come-back, but I've been known to have a miserable intuition as far as these things go.  :oops:

Edited to fix mispledding of Mulcair  :oops:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
I don't see how a Liberal loss, largely on the basis of antiwar (and environmentalist) sentiment, could be a plus for wannabee imperialist Ignatieff...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm hopeless at analyzing anything political, but it seems as if the entire organization of the campaign was off target. Is that because of the Liberals old entitlement, we're gonna win anyway? If so, then nothings changed. But I dunno, he has advisors for this no?

And why is the media and some bloggers all over the 'this is a test, Dion lost so a new leadership convention', when no one says a word about Duceppe? Shouldn't his leadership be in question instead?

I'm sure every available Liberal is there right now, because there IS going to be an election soon and divisiveness is the last thing they  need.

The other thing is why are people surprised Mulclair is doing well in Outremont, wasn't he a good liberal once?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »
I wouldn't look for logic from the LPC, though. The Ignatieff people want to knock Dion off however they can, and they'll worry about what comes next then. They're all about power, and they're not going to quit. Any Liberal defeat anywhere will help them to challenge Dion's leadership, even if on totally contradictory terms. Hey -- they're the Liberal Party, y'know?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:27:07 AM »
Despite my strong misgivings about Mulcair (Israel/Palestine), I may wind up giving him some time today for the "pointage" (seeing if NDP voters have voted, and making sure they do). A lot of progressives here are REALLY pissed off at the Bloc, for their refusal to be forthright about antiwar stuff, although antiwar sentiment is very, very strong in Québec. The Bloc is trailing badly - of course the Liberals, mess though they are, still have a formidable machine in the old-fashioned oily politico sense, and a long-standing "base" in the bourgeois centre of Outremont - and the older and more established folks there are the kind with high electoral turnouts.

In any event there will be a party this evening:
 The NDP party is tomorrow night at Bobarts (St. Laurent, corner of Marie-Anne). I imagine they'll start when the polls close at 8:30 pm. (Friend wrote this before midnight; it is 3:15 am now).

They still need help if you know anyone who's interested. (says friend).

Here is the letter from the campaign manager:

To:
Subject: NPD Outremont - Campagne Mulcair - NDP Outremont
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:53:54 -0400

English follows

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

Nous sommes maintenant tout près de la ligne d’arrivée. Notre coureur est légèrement en tête dans Outremont. Les libéraux paniquent et les bloquistes sont loin derrière.

Bien que les sondages nous soient très favorables, nous devons mener la lutte jusqu’à la dernière minute de cette campagne sans rien prendre pour acquis.

Jack Layton nous disait hier, au bureau de campagne, en s’adressant aux militants « Les libéraux ne nous donneront pas leur château fort. Nous devons le prendre! ».

Thomas Mulcair  rajoutait « Cette campagne est notre campagne à tous et c’est ensemble que nous peindrons cette circonscription orange! »

Chaque vote compte sans aucune exception et c’est pourquoi nous devons tous être sur le terrain dès l’aube lundi matin afin d’assurer notre victoire.
Je fais appel à toutes nos forces, à tous nos membres, à tous nos amis. De près où de loin. Nous devons tous mettre la main à la pâte afin de réaliser la percée pour laquelle nous militons côte à côte depuis si longtemps. Voici notre chance!

Si vous n’êtes pas déjà inscrit sur notre liste pour la sortie de vote ce lundi 17 septembre, téléphonez nous dès maintenant au 514-279-6136.

Je compte sur vous pour relever le défi!

Solidairement,

Charles Bussières
Organisateur
Nouveau parti démocratique
section québécoise
100-4384 Boul. St-Laurent
Montréal, QC, H2W 1Z5
(514)590-0036
1-800-843-8598
charles@npd.qc.ca
http://www.npd.qc.ca
SEPB 225 COPE  

Hello everyone,

We are now in the final stretch of this campaign. The NDP is in the lead by a small margin. The liberals are panicking and the bloc are lagging far behind.

Although recent polls put us in the lead, we must not take anything for granted and we must push ourselves until the last second of this campaign if we are to win.

Jack Layton, while addressing volunteers at the campaign local last night, said: “The liberals will not just hand over their stronghold of Outremont. We will have to work to take it from them! ”.

Thomas Mulcair added, “ This campaign is our campaign to win and it’s together that we will paint this riding orange! ”

Every single vote will count and that is why we must all be on the ground as of Monday morning to assure our victory.

So, I am calling out to all our forces, all our members, all friends, near and far: we must all contribute to achieve the breakthrough we have been working for, side by side, for so long. We must seize this opportunity to win a seat in Québec!

If you are not already on our lists to help “get out the vote” on Monday, September 17th, call us now at 514-279-6136.

I am counting on you to meet the challenge!

In solidarity,

Charles Bussières
Organisateur
Nouveau parti démocratique
section québécoise
100-4384 Boul. St-Laurent
Montréal, QC, H2W 1Z5
(514)590-0036
1-800-843-8598
charles@npd.qc.ca
http://www.npd.qc.ca
SEPB 225 COPE
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:03:26 AM »
Heather Hiscox had a short interview with Layton half an hour ago on Newsworld, and Jack is very upbeat and optimistic about Thomas's chances. Layton ripped into Charest, even, over that parks issue. It'll be great to see Mulclair in the House of Commons, and the NDP at an even 30.  :D

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »
Boom Boom, please, this ain't over until its over!
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 10:05:06 AM »
oops!  :ducking:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »
Fingers and toes crossed.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 10:44:36 AM »
All is forgiven, Boom Boom. Just have received MANY stern lectures about overconfidence, because of the typically staid, older, more bourgeois Liberal voters in that riding.

Hope the Chassidim vote en bloc for the Con (who doesn't stand a pig's trotter's chance in a Chassidic butcher shop)... But visible as they are, the Chassidim are only 3% of the riding's electorate. Most of the 10% Jewish are "normal", I mean non-fundie people, with a broad range of devotion and outlooks. There are almost as many Muslims - 8% - but they are from many different origins and also of many varying ranges of devotion and outlooks, and in no way constitute a bloc, except perhaps against security measures that target them.

Here is a brief Gazette piece about the four MEN running from the major parties (don't recall a single woman in this electoral race): Outremont by-election candidates in which the Con discovers the "miracle" of multiple identities.

Such as he is a man, white, francophone, rather elderly... and an arsehole.

See that there is one woman, standing as an independent. I've never heard of her, and I live very, very close to that riding (I'm in a corner of Rosemont Petite-Patrie, and am a few minute's walk from Outremont and from Papineau, where I used to live).
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »
I'd have expected far more women candidates in Quebec, of all places.

Return To TAT