Author Topic: Grit-ty drama unfolds in Outremont.  (Read 13453 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Grit-ty drama unfolds in Outremont.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »
Yes, it is deeply shocking, and Outremont is riddled with well-known professional women who would be articulate candidates.

The NDP really couldn't set Mulcair aside when he was prepared to make the leap, but the other major parties had no excuse. Unless all the women they contacted simply refused?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »
Elections Canada site for Outremont by-election results:

http://enr.elections.ca/ElectoralDistri ... px?ed=1382
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
The Elections Canada thing keeps updating - for the moment the NDP has pulled ahead, but it is to early to call (I'm talking about Outremont, of course).
Rosa Luxemburg

John_D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »
Sadly, the Tories seem to be performing well above expectations outside of Montreal... they've clearly won Roberval-Lac Saint-Jean (more than doubling the Bloc, with 170 of 194 polls in) and they are running a very respectable second in the early-ish going in Saint-Hyacinthe.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »
The Libs are losing all three contests. There was speculation on the news programs all weekend that if Dion is injured - and tonight it appears he's deeply wounded - two things will happen: a) the knives will be out, and b) Harper will engineer his govt's defeat in the speech from the Throne in October, hastening an election. With the Liberals limping along, the temptation will be too great for Harper - and he just might get his majority, if he can exploit the Lib's dysfunctionality (shouldn't be hard to do). I'm quite disappointed with Dion, I must say.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 10:40:32 PM »
I can't think of another example of the Libs coming in 4th.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 12:09:17 AM »
OMG! At 9:54 p.m. CST, with 166 out of 168 polls reporting, the NDP has 48.4% of the vote in Outremont!   I am :shock: and  :yay:
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 03:32:34 AM »
:yay:
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 03:56:52 AM »
What I find astonishing is the scope of the Mulcair lead: 47.5% of the votes, 11,574 votes. Closest after came the Lib, 29.0%, 69,33 votes.
Rosa Luxemburg

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 04:01:57 AM »
Please, somebody, does this mean we don't have to endure Justin frikken Turdeau for a while longer, at least?

Please...please...

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 04:45:56 AM »
That would be nice - at least it was a nice setback for (fils de) Trudeau.

Funny about him being a candidate in a "neighbouring riding" - that is true, but Papineau is quite literally the other side of the tracks from Outremont, and Trudeau is a ludicrous choice for such a working-class riding.

(Though parts of Outremont riding are working-class and immigrant too - it is considerably bigger than the former city of Outremont).
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 06:09:56 AM »
The headline in today's Grope and Flail:  "Tories steal seat from Bloc as Liberals lose Outremont."

What's wrong with this picture?   :roll:

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 06:36:35 AM »
Ha! Reminds me of all those headlines at the end of WWII - "Axis Lose!"
 :x

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
First mention of NDP in the G&M story cited above by Skdadl - Paragraph 14
CBC and CTV run Dion's losing speech instead of Mulcair's victory speech.
   :annoyed:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 07:58:48 AM »
Have you read Cherniak and most of the other Young Liberals on PB?

All that, and the dog ate their homework too!   :mrgreen:

To be fair, there is one nice and thoughtful YL I read this morning -- Antonio -- remind me of his blog? I thought he was sensible.

Return To TAT