Author Topic: Grit-ty drama unfolds in Outremont.  (Read 13454 times)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
Grit-ty drama unfolds in Outremont.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 08:23:55 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Antonio -- remind me of his blog?

Are you thinking of Fuddle Duddle? Ex-Liberal. He dropped his party affiliation when he decided to go into journalism (still a student).

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 08:26:43 AM »
Thanks, Boss.  

There was someone else who was kinda cute, although still obviously a YL, drowning his sorrows in lemon rum ...   :mrgreen:

Ah, kids these days.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 08:27:26 AM »
At 915 this morning, CBC Newsworld has a panel discussing the meaning of the byelection results, then at 930 am MP Denis Coderre reflects on Stephane Dion's future. Harper was reported on Newsworld just now to be licking his lips - he's free to include whatever he wants in next month's Throne Speech, because he's on the rise, while his main opposition is sinking like a stone. Every pundit I have heard since last night is saying Harper is moving to force an election and get his majority before the Liberals can recover.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 08:37:07 AM »
Outrement showed the advantages of strong local candidates. The NDP in NB has only ever elected strong local candidates at the provincial level, hard to say the party won the seats. If the NDP can run more strong local candidates i Quebec that would be great. Was Roberval Lac St. Jean another case of a strong local candidate or are we seeing the beginnings of the re-birth of the Mulroney Conservative coalition?

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 09:03:30 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
drowning his sorrows in lemon rum ...

Ah, kids these days.

That's funny, I was celebrating with rum last night.  I guess it's just an election-y liquor, it's what votes used to be bought with.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
Caissa, one of the Acadian MPs was very much involved in the Mulcair campaign.

They are interviewing Mulcair and left-wing finance professor Léo-Paul Lauzon (who was the previous NDP candidate in Outremont, not winning but getting a much higher score than any before) on Radio-Canada - I missed a good part of it though.

More to come.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 09:56:01 AM »
Coderre just said Mulclair is a very strong personality, it wasn't a vote for the NDP as a whole, and we'll have to see if this analysis is correct.    Secondly, he said that perceived divisions in the Liberal party are a media fabrication to sell the news - Iggy has been totally supportive of Dion and remains so, and that the party is totally behind Dion; and that the other parties are fuelling speculation about Liberal disunity because it serves their purposes, and that the Liberals will simply not get drawn into this debate - they've been there before with Turner, with Chretien/Martin, and have learned the hard lessons of history. Coderre went on to say that the Liberals will examine exactly what happened and go on from there. Coderre also mentioned that Dion's handpicked candidate Coulon (who lost Outremont) is a close personal friend and that he and Iggy were in the riding several times to work on behalf of Coulon, and that shows they are firmly behind Dion's leadership as is the party as a whole. We'll see.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »
Keith Boag on Newsworld said it's still unlikely that Harper will force an election, but that he will engineer the Throne Speech to reflect a hardcore Conservative wish list because Harper knows the opposition can not possibly want an election now. However, he and co-guest Daniel Lessard also said that the BQ are fed up with being perceived as 100% supporting the Cons, that the Libs as the main opposition can not support the Throne Speech, so the main focus will be on Jack Layton - what will the NDP do with the Throne Speech? That is the million dollar question.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 10:05:45 AM »
Can we dare to hope for that Orange Revolution?
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 10:07:29 AM »
And don't forget Turner channelling Dion has said repeatedly, the polls won't count for an election this fall. The media keeps proving itself incompetent with regards to the NDP win and Iggy's non-existent knives out.

Somewhere? I saw msm say Layton was right afterall in having discussions re: Afghan war. Slowly bur surely they may be getting it. And oh gawd Anne, I hope you are right about YL Trudeau!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
What's being said about Roberval Lac St. Jean?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »
Coderre also mentioned that Dion's handpicked candidate Coulon (who lost Outremont) is a close personal friend and that he and Iggy were in the riding several times to work on behalf of Coulon, and that shows they are firmly behind Dion's leadership as is the party as a whole. We'll see.

If he was willing to take cudos for supporting Coulon had he won, does he not get saddled with some of the blame now that he lost?  :roll:

Sounds like a 'that's not my job' cry before heads roll from both Coderre and Iggy.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »
All Liberals that I heard interviewed today said 'the blame game' is simply not on, that there is no appetite for a Chretien/Martin - style spat, that they will unite behind Dion, that there is no mechanism to remove Dion even if they wanted to, and that Dion will lead them into the next election.

They said they will take a "sober second look" at their Quebec strategy, and do what needs to be done.  On Newman's show tonight, someone said that Dion is spreading himself too thin, that he needs to delegate, that he's not the best communicator because of his difficult-to-understand English, and he needs to let others speak up for him. The Libs have a tough road ahead, but it doesn't involve replacing the leader.

Someone said on Newman's show tonight that absolutely no one in the party has the stomach for another six month to a year leadership convention barely a year after the last one where dirty laundry is aired in public and they give up being the main Opposition for the duration. No, said Coderre and David Herle (to name just two, out of many, today) there is absolutely no desire to go through all that shit again so soon after the last one.

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 12:03:24 AM »
Just as long as we don't have to endure that simpering twit Justin Turdeau!

He has NOTHING of his dad in him.

What's in a name?  A rose by any other name will still grow best in shit, and ...

other than that, you know, I really don't have a strongly held opinion...

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »
I just read Garth, gawd he's so 'invested'. He asks in his latest 'all about me and yl's' should there be a Guaranteed Annual Income? Holy F where has he been all these years to ask such a question?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT