Author Topic: Thinking of new programs to help the variously disabled  (Read 4739 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Thinking of new programs to help the variously disabled
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:35:07 AM »
Does anyone know of provincial snow removal programs for residences where seniors and handicapped live? I'm referring to private residences owned by seniors and the disabled.

Personally, I've been told by nurses over the years I shouldn't lift heavy snow, but I don't have a certificate or anything saying that. I suppose I'd have to get a physician's  evaluation. It's been suggested to me I simply pay a local teenager to help with the snow. That seems inadequate.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:43:24 AM »
Boom Boom, I think that in more urban centres, that is a municipal responsibility. It might be that, in your village, you would have to become a leader in setting up such programs locally. I agree with you that they are important.

A decade and more ago, there were very clear rules in Toronto on this score, and seniors did get city help. I think that things have changed since then, partly because of the "harmonization" that came with megacitymnosity. In theory, little scoopers are supposed to be out there doing many of the public walks, anyway, except they're not doing everyone's (like, not ours). And maybe because that happened, the old city stopped its targeted program for seniors.

I'm not sure the city ever did anyone's private walks.

Maybe someone like k'in will come along and explain the Toronto laws now.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:00:25 AM »
Boom Boom, I live in a rural area, though not as isolated as yours. From what I gather, there exists a program through the CLSC to encourage people to continue independent living at home. A guy I know was employed through this service, and one of his jobs was to shovel snow in the winter - private walks and driveways. Some other jobs included cleaning and minor maintenance work.

However, I'd presume that a person would have to be certifiably disabled or ill to be able to benefit from the service.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:42:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I've used your ideas and have emailed the social development officer for the Lower North Shore to see what is available.  :D

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »
This is the current service offered by the City of Toronto:

Is there a sidewalk snow-clearing program for seniors?
The vast majority of sidewalks in the former communities of Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough, many sidewalks in East York and York, and some sidewalks in Toronto are cleared of snow by mechanical ploughing within 36 hours if the accumulation is greater than 8 cm (approx. 3 in.). However, on streets with continuous on-street parking and where sidewalks cannot be cleared by mechanical ploughing, residents are required to clear ice and snow from sidewalks adjacent their property within 12 hours of a snowfall.
If you are a senior or if you are disabled and live in an area where sidewalk snow clearing is not automatically done, you can register by calling 416-392-7768.
For assistance with private property snow clearing, seniors and the disabled can call Access Toronto at 416-338-0338 or e-mail them at accesstoronto@toronto.ca to obtain a list of organizations that provide these services. A nominal fee may apply.

The sidewalk clearing with the bobcats is very good in this part of town (E. York) and it's easy to tell when you've crossed the border into (pre-amalgamation) Toronto.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »
I thought something like that had happened, k'in -- thanks.

*grrr* Some things got "harmonized," but things that might have benefited the old city often didn't, curiously enough.   :rant2:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of new programs to help the variously disabled
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:52:05 AM »
NH GOP State Congressman Says Disabled and Mentally Ill Are ‘Defective People’ And Should Be Shipped To Siberia  :mad2   

A community health program manager got a surprise when she e-mailed her NH State Congressman recently to ask him about why he had voted to cut money from mental health programs. The Senator told her that society would be better without disabled people, and he wishes he could ship disabled people to Siberia.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:53:30 AM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:29 AM »
Horrors, I'd like to think that people that horrid live a bit farther away from chez nous.

He's an old fart, but as an elected representative, that is no excuse: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/10/martin-harty-suggests-sen_n_834316.html
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »
I can't help wondering if there are more who hold the same attitudes.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
Oh I'm sure there are, and don't much care. There are lots of people with ignorant and reactionary attitudes about all sorts of issues, but it is very different when an elected representative or an official voices such rubbish.

A co-op member is trying to apply for welfare as her (violent) husband finally left, after many complaints. She is quite rightly complaining about how impossible it is, as the bureaucrats constantly discourage applicants by demanding more and more papers and proof that no normal person has. But then, said that if she were an immigrant with dark skin, she'd get it far more easily. I told her that was bullshit, with specific cases I knew about, and she shut up.

Working for tenants' associations, I've often heard all manner of silly racial, social and other prejudices from people who do have legitimate problems, but mess them up with the crap they've ingurgitated over the years.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »
Well Death is the greatest of Equalizers, and he's an ole fart.

No statement from Sawah yet?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
Unfortunately, there are different kinds of groups who hold those attitudes. Many are, as lagatta says, oppressed in some way themselves, or perceive themselves to be, and they flail about looking for obvious scapegoats. That makes them fodder for powerful people, though, who truly do believe that money, power, and status = virtue, and the world would be better off to lose the losers, as they think of them ... er, us. I know people who think like that, although they wouldn't come right out and say it that bluntly, partly because they're not thoughtful enough to have confronted their own underlying assumptions. But their gut reaction to people in trouble is: "Losers."

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
..... said that if she were an immigrant with dark skin, she'd get it far more easily.

Yes it is a racist comment - but if seen as just the lashing out of a frustrated person it is in some way understandable.

I told her that was bullshit, with specific cases I knew about, and she shut up

That, of course, is the proper thing to do - if your friend is just trying to put her travails into some kind of context, a very understandable and sensible idea - the retrograde one should be shown for the destructive erroneous concept it is before it poisons her and all around her.

:applause  to you.

"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »

Rep. Martin Harty, a Barrington Republican, has resigned after he drew fire for remarks on mental illness and population control.  :applause

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:40:38 PM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
This sounds like a step in the right direction:

Panel aims to boost number of workers with disabilities

I've been deaf disabled all my life, but nevertheless have held down two good jobs - the first being a program officer for Manpower and Immigration Canada in the 1970s, and the second - well, I'd rather not disclose that one, yet. Maybe on my deathbed.  :popcorn

Return To TAT