Author Topic: Election issues  (Read 7033 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Election issues
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »
Here are two issues for your consideration. I just got this email from the Federation of Metro Tenants Associations.

There are two major turning points ahead for tenants. The election of October 10 and the debate on fair taxes at the City on October 22.

I am encouraging everyone to visit these web sites. There is a direct e-mail click on to politicians. I urge everyone to e-mail in their comments and support for fairness today!

http://www.FairDealForOurCity.ca

http://www.Fairtaxes.ca

The first deals with the issues of the province making a fair deal with Toronto to deal with the major problems caused by provinical downloading.  The City of Toronto only gets 6 cents out of every tax dollar paid by Torontonians.  There are questions to ask and an excellent discussion of the issues.  The Province must act quickly to prevent further pressure on the City, and to start dealing with important issues...such as building affordable housing, and repairing our aging stock of social housing, particularly TCHC

Fair Taxes will show how the implementation of a land transfer tax is much fairer than increasing property taxes (which tenants already pay more than their fair share), or service reductions. Again, you can simply click on and e-mail your comments to politicians.

Half of the people in Toronto are living in rental housing. We should not let others decide these issues.

And of course, for the FMTA election special visit http://www.torontotenants.org http://www.torontotenants.org

k'in

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Heard about this this morning.  Disgusting.  But apparently the only election issue the MSM wants to talk about is "faith based education" where Tory gets to pander to fundies and McGuinty to bigots.

The Ontario government is helping to break its own laws when it lets nursing homes leave elderly residents lying for hours in urine-soaked diapers, according to a legal opinion prepared for the Ontario Federation of Labour.

Nursing home staff have long complained that they are liable to discipline if they change diapers too often. In a report two years ago, and distributed to every MPP, the OFL cited one instance where supervisors pulled used, sodden diapers out of the garbage and weighed them to ensure that staff were adhering to the 75 per cent rule.

In another case, nursing home workers received free pizzas if they kept diaper use down.

deBeauxOs

Election issues
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:39:25 AM »
I think that Tory is flipping out.  Here's another dumbass promise.
Progressive Conservative leader John Tory promised that if he is elected premier on Oct. 10, he will personally fly to U.S. cities to convince Canadian doctors to come back to Ontario.
Yeah, like that's certainly going to convince me to vote for this rightwingnut.   :roll:

lagatta

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:51:20 AM »
When I first heard the words John Tory of the PC party, I thought it was a stock character, a description of a constipated, bigoted, old-money, waspy ... Tory.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Election issues
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »
k'in: Hampton was talking about that depressing nursing home study when he lost his sh!t at the CBC, yesterday. "`Flatlined' Hampton lashes out at media"
Hampton let loose after fielding yet another question having nothing to do with the campaign issues he considers most vital.

"We've become the child poverty capital of Canada – don't any of you people care?" Hampton railed at reporters gathered for a campaign event in NDP-friendly Hamilton.

He cited a Toronto Star report that said many Ontario nursing homes are being forced to violate the rights of the elderly, leaving them to languish for hours in urine-soaked diapers because they can't afford enough incontinence products for their residents.

"Don't you care that there are seniors living in soiled diapers? Don't you care about that? I'm asking you, `What do you care about?'

[...]

"I am saying that I am going to raise the issues that matter to working people and I am going to raise them especially hard over the next six days. I wonder if anybody is going to report on it?" he said.

"It's as if the media is on some sort of planetary exploration expedition." Hampton's meltdown in Hamilton was triggered by a CBC radio reporter asking if it was time for a new party leader.

"After the election I will talk to New Democrats about my future," said Hampton, who is running as leader in his third election.

He is right to be angry about how our elections are covered, but I'm not sure it was so wise to take the bait about his leadership future--less than a week before the election! Eek.
 :shock:

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Election issues
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »
Hee. Visitors to BP today include one who came in on a google search for 'John Tory idiot'; another on 'John Tory propaganda'.

I think Howard is doing well. I like the 'Get Orange' ads and the idea of holding the Libs accountable by electing Dippers.

I live in Trinity-Spadina and the NDP have a lock here, I think.

How's it going in other ridings?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
Howard was on 'Politics' recently, and I suspect he has been battling the 'flu, because he looked a bit bloated and unhealthy. McGuinty and Tory were on as well - all separate interviews - and McGunity was the only one who came across reasonably well, but the only point he made effectively was (if I remember correctly) how health care is costing more than half of the Ontario budget, and with Boomers set to retire in the near future, that health care in Ontario is going to be even more of a drain on Ontario finances. He looked really scared as he read off the current statistics related to the cost of health care in Ontario. I think he knows something that Tory and Hampton either don't know or simply refuse to acknowledge, and it's not good news for Ontario.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 08:47:33 AM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
but the only point he made effectively was (if I remember correctly) how health care is costing more than half of the Ontario budget, and with Boomers set to retire in the near future, that health care in Ontario is going to be even more of a drain on Ontario finances. He looked really scared as he read off the current statistics related to the cost of health care in Ontario. I think he knows something that Tory and Hampton either don't know or simply refuse to acknowledge, and it's not good news for Ontario.

Harumph - the mindset that looks at health care as a drain leaves me with less than the warm and fuzzies: Something of a backward idea here.  :annoyed:

I wonder how many Christians curse their converts because they mean less room for prothelizing: fire safety inspectors fear fewer fires because unemployment my be a consequence: or more in this area, health care givers fear to treat patients because they might cure something.

Mr. McG. thass iss what yer there for.  :rant2:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:04:08 AM »
Oh, don't get him wrong, Croggy - McGuinty isn't backing away from funding health care, I think he's just completely intimidated (and scared) by how big a responsibility health care is today, and how much more so it is going to be in the future when boomers retire. I wish I wrote down the stats that McGuinty quoted, but maybe CBC's Politics has the show available on the web?

Gigi

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
What irritates me most about our "health care" system is that it is actually "illness care".

If they actually gave a flying F about HEALTH they would fund preventive measures and ensure that people of all income levels could afford things like, oh, fresh vegetables and decent food.

It's the same philosphy as with insurance companies:  if you fund prevention everyone will want it, while only a certain percentage will actually get sick, and that will cost less.

Oh, and as a bonus your cronies at big pharma get to make a mint at that point instead of money stupidly going to farmers, right?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 11:37:57 AM »
[quote="Gigi" ] If they actually gave a flying F about HEALTH they would fund preventive measures and ensure that people of all income levels could afford things like, oh, fresh vegetables and decent food.[/quote]

Wouldn't that require not only a government response, but also more citizens actually taking some responsibility for themselves? Like exercise some self-discipline when it comes to pigging out on junk food, fast food, alcohol, and smoking, and getting some daily exercise?

Gigi

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
Wouldn't that require not only a government response, but also more citizens actually taking some responsibility for themselves? Like exercise some self-discipline when it comes to pigging out on junk food, fast food, alcohol, and smoking, and getting some daily exercise?

And spending their $25 a week on beer and popcorn?

I'm sorry, why did that sound so much like that last election?

lagatta

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »
Boom Boom, what you wrote neglects the social determinants of health.

Just go to look at a rich neighbourhood vs a poor one here - wealthier people have hope, and reason to want to live longer, as well as access to better food and a culture that encourages exercise and healthy eating.

Poor people in dead-end jobs or out of work are dragged out, stressed-out (far more than the proverbial stressed executive, though such overwork also a socially-determined health problem) and have less access to decent food and exercise - whether it is a matter of gym access, track shoes, equipment etc.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 11:59:28 AM »
Listen, there's likely a significant portion of middle-class and rich folks who need to take control of their lives and get away from an unhealthy lifestyle, there are folks out there who are perfectly capable of improving their lives, but they expect the health care system to always be there for them. Those were the ones I was referring to, and I should have been more clear about that.

Gigi

• View Profile
Election issues
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
Yeah well when everyone has the same access to produce, supplements, and services, then we can make blanket statements about it being purely "lifestyle" choices.

You've got to have the choice to make it.

Return To TAT