Author Topic: Burma: an orange revolution?  (Read 19089 times)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Burma: an orange revolution?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »
The SO worked in Burma long, long time ago and he was telling me that the Burmese have to do a stint as monks - perhaps that is why there are so many young ones?

Looks like the crackdown is beginning and I sure hope the violent police actions don't escalate. So much for China cautioning against violence  :cry:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »
Yes, it is common for Buddhist youth to do a stint as monks. Remember that from the Vietnam war years...  :age:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 01:16:12 PM »
Telly saying a monk trying to remove a gun from military was shot and killed.

no link.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 01:31:12 PM »
5 Monks Shot And Killed.  :shock:

SOLDIERS fired on crowds of protesters in Rangoon yesterday in an attempt to end the biggest people-power marches in Burma in 20 years.

At least three monks were killed, an official told Agence France-Presse on condition of anonymity. One was killed when a gun went off as he tried to wrest the weapon away from a soldier, while two were beaten to death, the official said.

His account was confirmed by a second official, who said the toll was based on official reports of incidents that took place around the Shwedagon Pagoda, Burma's holiest site and a key rallying point for the monks.

SydneyHerald

Good gawd, this is inhumane, they are unarmed people. I don't know alot about Buddhism, but this must mean the monks and the people fully realize they are not suffering because of a past life, but because of this corrupt dictatorship.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
This world is so fucking sick, oh crap I just can't put it into words.

I'm wiping tears of frustration, anger and deep sadness.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
Good gawd, this is inhumane, they are unarmed people. I don't know alot about Buddhism, but this must mean the monks and the people fully realize they are not suffering because of a past life, but because of this corrupt dictatorship.
And also their beliefs allow them to lay their lives on the line for the defense of a principle of justice, in a pacifist, non-aggressive way.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 05:25:49 PM »
Update. The junta is admitting one dead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/s ... 15,00.html

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - Security forces in Myanmar opened fire on demonstrators Wednesday, and witnesses said police beat and dragged away dozens of Buddhist monks. The government said at least one person was killed, while dissident groups and media reported up to eight dead.

The military junta's announcement on state radio and television was the first acknowledgment of the use of force against protesters and its first admission of bloodshed after a month of mostly peaceful demonstrations against the government.

The junta said security forces opened fire after a crowd of 10,000 people, including what it described as ``so-called monks,'' failed to disperse at Yangon's Sule Pagoda. It said police used minimum force.

The dead man, age 30, was hit by a bullet, the statement said. It also said two men aged 25 and 27 and a 47-year-old woman suffered wounds when police fired, but did not specify their injuries.

Witnesses who were known to The Associated Press said they had seen two women and one young man with gunshot wounds in the chaotic confrontations.

Khim Maung Win, deputy editor of the Democratic Voice of Burma, a small anti-junta broadcaster based in Oslo, Norway, said eight people - five monks and three civilians - were reported killed and at least four seriously wounded.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »
From the SasK Indy Media site:
Regina Burma rally planned
Written by Trish Elliott  
Wednesday, 26 September 2007
Concerned Regina residents, including newly arrived refugees from Burma's ethnic states, will rally in downtown Regina tomorrow  (Thursday) in support of democracy in Burma.  People will gather outside the Regina Public Library at noon, then march to the centre of Victoria Park. As Burma's military prepares for a showdown with protestors inside Burma, Canadians are being called on to pray, meditate and press for UN intervention and an end to Canadian trade with Burma. Canadian companies are the junta's foremost foreign investors. [emphasis mine] Amnesty International Canada has called the unfolding situation in Burma a "human rights emergency."

The author of the above post, a good friend, also wrote a book about Burma, The White Umbrella, a must-read for anyone interested in this.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »
There will also be a rally in Toronto - City Hall, 6pm, Thursday.
"You cursed brat. Look what you\'ve done. I\'m melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 08:25:52 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, swallow.

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 10:43:34 AM »
Hey, maybe I'll see you there then! 'Twould be wonderful.

Here's the govt of Canada news release, for what it's worth:

September 24, 2007 (4:40 p.m. EDT)
No. 129

CANADA CALLS UPON BURMESE REGIME TO ENGAGE IN DIALOGUE WITH DEMOCRATIC OPPOSITION

The Honourable Maxime Bernier, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today issued the following statement on the continuing protests in Burma:

“This past week, thousands of protesters took to the streets across Burma to protest against the Burmese regime. These protests continue to grow in strength. Canada notes the actions of these peaceful protesters and calls upon the Burmese regime to engage in a genuine dialogue with members of the democratic opposition. We also call upon the Burmese authorities to respect the human rights and fundamental freedoms of the protestors and the people of Burma.

“Many of the pro-democracy activists arrested following anti-government protests in August remain detained. Canada condemns the arrests and continues to call for the immediate and unconditional release of those activists. We further call upon the Government of Burma to release all other political prisoners, including Aung San Suu Kyi.

“Canada will continue to stand up for human rights and take principled positions on important issues to ensure that freedom, democracy and the rule of law—values that define our country—are respected around the world.”

- 30 -

For further information, media representatives may contact:

Foreign Affairs Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
613-995-1874
http://www.international.gc.ca
"You cursed brat. Look what you\'ve done. I\'m melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:38 AM »
Ralph Luker at Cliopatria provides links to sources on Burma, including some links to Burmese bloggers.

http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/43178.html
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:55 AM »
Excellent link to excellent links, Holly.  Thank you!

I cannot imagine what it would be like to live like this:

Yesterday it was closed in the afternoon and I don't know if my Email can reach you or not. THE GOVERNMENT TRIES TO BLOCK FOREIGN COMMUNICATIONS AS POSSIBLE AS THEY COULD. Not only foreign but also inland communications are blocked in most parts. We can not make phone calls as before. Some are arrested every day. So public gathering is strictly prohibited. We don't dare to get out because the government will suspect us to be organizing people. But company workers and Government servants are doing their work every day, but some work only for half day. Since the demonstrations became increased we don't know what will be our near future. Many shops are closed. The prices of food stuff increased. Churches and Bible Schools and orphanage centers, and children home etc are still being on checked.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 11:35:25 AM »
On the day that Christopher Hitchens traced all political tyranny to its religious roots, Buddhist monks led the protest demonstrations in Burma. Sober up, Hitch.

:mrgreen:

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »

ETA: source

Return To TAT