Author Topic: Vegetarians not permitted on this thread  (Read 18072 times)

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Vegetarians not permitted on this thread
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
"Listen to me and I'm sure you'll agree
that the bravest man in history
was neither a soldier nor champion of law,
but the first to devour an oyster raw..."

-  Wizard of Id
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2007, 05:39:33 PM »
I found the right thread - I'm back from a long, roundabout walk after a meeting at UQAM - which is of course at Berri-UQAM métro station, in centre-east Montréal - and among other things bought some duck livers at a new shop that has opened on St-Laurent, "Le Canard libéré". Duck products.

No, not foie gras - not only too expensive but I do consider force-feeding cruel. Just plain old livers. I sliced them, sautéed them in olive oil with onion, garlic and a wee bit of teriyaki sauce, just because I wanted a tiny hint of sweet with them.

The prepared foods at the duck shop are of course ridiculously expensive and not for most of us, but the livers were a good price as were the so called "drumettes" (pilons d'ailes), the shoulder part of a duck wing that can be served as a miniature drumstick. I may buy some of those for the sendoff party for our Argentine friend.

Despite the title of this thread, I'm also making several vegetarian-friendly tapas-type things: the garlic mushrooms are always a huge hit, and if I have time, I'll make a Moroccan roast-red-pepper salad.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2007, 02:37:10 AM »
Ahh potted meat, a favourite of Mrs Bacchus and one I grew up with from me mum.
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

peppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2007, 08:06:14 AM »
Quote from: arborman
Aww maaan.  I find the squickiest food video I've ever seen, and nobody even notices.   :(

Let me try again.  ;)  Ahem...

That said, there are occasionally things that go beyondsquicky for me...

I've been served that. Trust me, it's ever so much worse when a tentacle flops off of the plate at you. :panic    I stuck with the rice and side dishes at that particular meal.

It's more of stunt dish than anything else.  People have died from the suckers getting stuck on their oesophagus  on the way down, or so I'm told ( Alcohol apparently prevents this :shock: )

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2007, 09:05:09 PM »
I couldn't eat squid like that...the poor bugger is drowning in air, the silent screams would resonate and I'd burst into tears.

Wouldn't bother me to kill it, fast, get it over with.  But not to have the poor bugger drowning and not even able to scream out loud.  That's the part reduces me to helplessness, that they are mute.

I don't know anybody who eats bear.  There's a kind of tapeworm bears have, different from the usual tapeworm.  It's just too totally gross to go into any sort of description but it does mean people avoid bear meat.

Except tourists, we don't tell the tourists about the tape worm

You can get it from raw fish, too.
Which is why I avoid suchi completely!!

(yeah, I know, if it's in the fish then even if you cook it you wind up eating...but at least it doesn't then hatch in your gut!!)

Most things about food are pretty yucky if you get too involved in the basics.  All those yummy vegetables..grown in shite and well rotted compost...and any farmer knows the ugly side of raising meat...

And wild rabbits have.......

I do not know this next for sure and certain but I have been told by several different hunters that a dog will not eat bear meat.  Considering what they WILL eat that makes me think bear meat isn't supposed to be on anyone's diet.

I've had rat meat.  Mind you they were cage-raised and fed on rabbit pellets and clean garden surplus.  It was good.  I haven't eaten snake but a friend has and said it was very chewy.

Of course "everything tastes like chicken".  Unless it tastes like beef.

And I think I've probably eaten just about everything from the sea around here..no, I tell a lie, I have never eaten spiny sea urchin... but if you like clam chowder you'll go nuts for mussel chowder!!

I will not eat veal.  I will not cook veal for anyone else to eat.  If those who eat veal had any idea how it is raised they would upchuck.

And I'm on side with Lagatta about the force feeding of geese and ducks!!  I mean, if you think about it, those huge livers are a sure sign of diseased livers.

Oh yum yum, the rich people can have it.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »
Zoidberg:   Goose liver? Fish eggs? Pfaaa! Where's the goose? Where's the fish?
Elzar:   Hey, that's what rich people eat - the garbage parts of the food.
Zoidberg:   I ate garbage yesterday and it didn't cost me three hundred dollars. I'm not paying. Farewell, good sir.

http://www.futuramarama.co.uk/episode.php?id=0416

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2007, 09:18:54 PM »
BTW sushi tapeworm is very rare at restaurants.  If you make it yourself, you're much more likely to get tapeworm, unless you buy sushi grade fish.  By sushi grade, I mean, it's been frozen when caught.

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
Dude, srsly, you are harshing my mellow.

Stop besmirching my favourite foods.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »
I love sushi.  Love it!  

But it does have to be frozen at less than -18 for at least 3 days (or so I was told by fishermen).

Yum.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2007, 01:42:25 AM »
And yet, I want to read that about as much as "may cause anal leakage" on my chips.

Return To TAT