Author Topic: 06Dec07 Action Ideas  (Read 14601 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
Yes. I lost track of the time.  :(

But that doesn't mean we can't start now.

I am currently working on a post, and am going to strive to post at least once a day until Dec. 6th.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
So, are we doing something coordinated or all just doing our own thing?

I think I will do something about obstetric fistula on The Front Page. Unless I am instructed otherwise of course.  :wink:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
I'm all for it!  :applause:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »
Once again, if you wish. Obstetric fistula is a very grave women's health issue.

But it has very little to do with a massacre of university students in Montréal.

Especially after hearing whingeing about unrelated issues at antiwar demonstrations as an excuse for not attending them  (they annoy me too, but are as inevitable as this).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »
Oh goody. I have la('I own the Montreal Massacre')gatta's reluctant permission. Again, ta very much.

lagatta

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 07:14:43 PM »
I was there that night.

I don't own anything, but stop harassing me.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
Just wondering if we could all pick one link to point to...
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

fern hill

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »
I don't know what you mean, Berlynn. One news story, one website?

Berlynn

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 07:45:24 PM »
I don't know what I mean, either.  I'm just thinking out loud, well, sort of.  If in each post we, as individuals of a collective make, we could each make a link from that post and to somewhere else, like a place to make donations, a favourite charity, women's org.  Help make the link that what the Harpercrites have done with SWO amounts to violence...

ETA: clarify my thoughts...
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

lagatta

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 07:58:56 PM »
Wikipedia has an entry on the Polytechnique massacre (which I own, of course - gee, my very own massacre!)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuerie_de_l'école_polytechnique_de_Montréal

That aside, it would be really nice not to forget the victims. And as the article said, there were several suicides in its wake - I believe that Marc Lépine's sister was among them.
Rosa Luxemburg

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 09:10:47 PM »
I am 100% confident that nobody on BnR forgets the victims of the Montreal Massacre.  

Just to clarify the "14 days" or "16 days" themes, particularly for those who don't read blogs on a regular basis (or ever, as the case may be): I can only speak for myself, but last year I followed the guidelines of the UNHCR 16 days campaign against gender-based violence:
The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence is an international campaign originating from the first Women's Global Leadership Institute sponsored by the Center for Women's Global Leadership in 1991. Participants chose the dates, November 25, International Day Against Violence Against Women and December 10, International Human Rights Day, in order to symbolically link violence against women and human rights and to emphasize that such violence is a violation of human rights. This 16-day period also highlights other significant dates including December 1, which is World AIDS Day, and December 6, which marks the Anniversary of the Montreal Massacre.

So...I used each day to spotlight something regarding VAW. Sometimes it was a post about creative activism, e.g. about the Aussie shoe expo, and sometimes it was purely to highlight under reported grassroots movements, like the Dalits or the women of Chiapas.  There was also a post in there about rape in Darfur.

But...my December 6th post was completely restricted to a commemoration of the Montreal Massacre.

December 6th is very special to us. Each of us has his/her own reasons and methods for honouring that day.

Berlynn

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »
Saskatoon event:

December 6

National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Third Avenue United Church

304 3rd Ave. N. Saskatoon

7:00 – 8:30 p.m.

Candle-lighting Ceremony

Panel/Discussion

Information booths

For more information Call USSU Women’s Centre 966-6980

December 6 is the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women in Canada. Established in 1991 by the Parliament of Canada, this day marks the anniversary of the murders in 1989 of 14 young women at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal. They died because they were women.

As well as commemorating the 14 young women whose lives ended in an act of gender-based violence that shocked the nation, December 6 represents an opportunity for Canadians to reflect on the phenomenon of violence against women in our society. It is also an opportunity to consider the women and girls for whom violence is a daily reality, and to remember those who have died as a result of gender-based violence. And finally, it is a day on which communities can consider concrete actions to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls.
__._,_.___

fern hill

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »
OK, so you got your Day of Commemoration of This or That Atrocity. December 6, at least for Canadians, was a shocker. I think we should use the power of it for good. In whatever way seems good.

Like, we could have every other Wednesday a DAY for some disempowered group and keep it all nice and orderly. And totally boring and mockable.

Or we can use the ongoing impact of Dec. 6 to help highlight the still sadly un- or under-reported cases of violence against women.

And people who think the blogosphere is not real activisim should take their purdy shoes elsewhere and not tell us what to do.

Berlynn

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
And people who think the blogosphere is not real activisim should take their purdy shoes elsewhere and not tell us what to do.

Do people really think that blogging isn't activism?  Not bloggers, are they?

ETA:  Vancouver Event!

lagatta

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
Here is the first message I've received from la Fédération des femmes du Québec:

SVP, faire circuler dans tous vos réseaux. Merci.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rassemblement du 6 décembre 2007

Commémoration du massacre de la Polytechnique

"Se souvenir pour agir contre toutes les formes de
violence envers les femmes"

Chères militantes, membres et alliéEs,

Cette année marquera le 18e triste anniversaire de la tuerie de l’École Polytechnique où 14 jeunes femmes ont été assassinées en 1989, simplement parce qu’elles étaient des femmes.

À l’occasion de la Journée nationale de commémoration et d’action contre les violences faites aux femmes, la Fédération des femmes du Québec invite les groupes et les femmes de la grande région de Montréal à vous joindre au rassemblement national de commémoration qui aura lieu de 10h30 à 11h15 à la Place du 6 décembre (angle Décelles et Queen Mary, métro Côte-des-Neiges).

Dans le cadre de ce rassemblement, nous poserons un geste à la mémoire des victimes du 6 décembre 1989 et en solidarité avec les milliers de femmes au Québec qui, jour après jour, font face à la violence. Le 6 décembre sera également l’occasion d'interpeller nos gouvernements sur trois grandes revendications du mouvement des femmes qui visent à prévenir et à lutter contre toutes les formes de violence envers les femmes et à soutenir celle qui la subissent . La violence envers les femmes ne décline pas depuis 10 ans au Québec! Cette situation n'est ni acceptable et ni tolérable. Il y a urgence d'agir! C'est pourquoi le 6 décembre, nous revendiquerons:  
1) Que l'État investisse 2,5 millions $ par année dans une vaste campagne de sensibilisation et d'action contre les violences envers les femmes, échelonnée sur dix ans;

2) Que le registre des armes à feu soit maintenu dans son intégralité;

3) Qu'on mette fin à l'injustice en assurant aux maisons d'hébergement situés en territoires autochtones le même financement que celui accordé aux maisons d'hébergement dans le reste du Québec (les maisons d'hébergement dans les communautés autochtones reçoicent moins de la moitié (47%) du financement des autres maisons d'hébergement).

En espérant que vous serrez nombreuses à vous joindre à nous pour la commémoration nationale le 6 décembre prochain.

Cet événement est organisé par le Comité du 6 décembre 2007 formé de la Fédération des femmes du Québec, le Regroupement provincial des maisons d'hébergement et de transition pour femmes victimes de violence conjugale et L'R des centres de femmes.
Solidairement ,

Barbara Legault, Responsable de la mobilisation et de la Coordination du Québec de la Marche mondiale des femmes
Fédération des femmes du Québec
514-876-0166 po. 253 - blegault@ffq.qc.ca
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT