Author Topic: 06Dec07 Action Ideas  (Read 14600 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
Here's some US statistics about children under 5, 1976-2005; 29% killed by mother, 31% by father;
...Of those children killed by someone other than their parent, 81% were killed by males...

...Most of the children killed are male and most of the offenders are male...

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/children.htm
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
Here's some Canadian info: http://www.canadiancrc.com/Infanticide.aspx

This site looks like it has more such information; is anyone familiar with the  Canadian Children's Rights Council?

ETA: I'd be a little cautious about using this one.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

brebis noire

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
Well, the first set look like pretty solid stats. Stats can be useful for pointing out trends and debunking propagandists, but I'm usually left wondering who, why and how the data are collected, and what's been left out. Why do you think the second link should be used with caution?

Shaolin, you should send that link to Kay; I'd love to know how or if she responds, though you make have to do the work for her. She sounds like one of those lazy researcher types, like Wente, who like their research done by others and sent directly to the inbox along with the correct spin. Or you could ask her for her sources, even though you probably already know where they're coming from.*

*father's rights groups. Sigh.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »
I wondered if it might have an agenda.  But my computer is not working so well and it's not that easy to read.

But here is a page about prochoice for men:
http://www.canadiancrc.com/Reproductive_choice.aspx

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2007, 03:34:47 PM »
Ew!!!  That link should come with a warning!!!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

shaolin

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »
I already asked her for her sources.  She said that she wasn´t going to do my homework for me.  She also says she has mentioned several times in her column that women hurt their children more often than men, and no one has ever called her on it, so therefore it must be true (because the feminists would love to refute it).  Yes, she is lazy - at best.  But, I am also lazy when it come to email debates with idjits.  

By the way, she never acknowledged the fact that she was wrong, wrong, wrong on Laurie Dann.  Just shifted things to memorials for dead children killed by moms.

brebis noire

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
Well, I should've known - it was the National Post after all. What an ijit. How are you supposed to know what her sources are?
She sounds like the lowest-level troll-debaters I used to read on babble.

But as she has national punditry, she really should be a target to denounce, refute and shame at every opportunity.

Gigi

• View Profile
06Dec07 Action Ideas
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
I highly doubt the slattern is referencing any legit stats, but instead pulling the usual tactic of hoping to distract you with yet another false dilemma (journalists should bloody well have to take a rhetoric and reasoning class somewhere along the way so that they at least have the grace to concede when someone calls shenanigans).

"Go find these stats that have NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR ORIGINAL POINT."

Illogical sow.

ETA: to be clear, I meant her, not you.

Return To TAT