Author Topic: State of Emergency - Pakistan  (Read 21591 times)

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
State of Emergency - Pakistan
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2007, 09:48:48 AM »
I saw (and bookmarked @ my del.icio.us page) that Guardian article when I woke up this morning.  Somehow missed the original NYT op-ed.  Nice to see the ideological and strategic convergence between the Kagan clan and the Serious liberal interventionists @ Brookings has continued unabated. Absolutely hearted Ivo Daalder and Robert Kagan's 'Concert of Democracies' malarkey that provoked a brief kerfuffle among the FP set several months ago.
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
I have no idea why reading this thread reminded me of bad tempered squirrels. :?:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Benazir Bhutto Shot Dead
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »
Probably the beginning of civil war.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
No doubt you are right BB. There will be an election postponement no doubt and a lot of finger pointing. Already the people are chanting 'dog Musharaff dog".
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
If Musharaff had difficulty governing before, he'll likely find it almost impossible now.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
Off to read, but ... Oh, hell. However it swings, this will be bad.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2007, 09:51:06 AM »
"The military didn't really want civilian politicians in power," says New York University's Barnett Rubin, a South Asia expert. "They wanted to use them to legitimate indirect [military] rule, and they were going to do it by rigging the election."

U.S. strategy didn't exactly find that so offensive. "The idea was to consolidate the alliance of the so-called moderate forces in the Pakistani military through this election that the military was going to rig but we were going to certify anyway," Rubin observes. That is, as long as Bhutto was in the picture -- since the U.S. had reduced the democratic opposition to the figure of Benazir Bhutto, although her corruption as PM was manifest. Without Bhutto, it is unclear what the U.S. will do.

Bhutto's assassination presents an opportunity for Musharraf. "It's very possible Musharraf will declare [another] state of emergency and postpone the elections," Rubin continues. "That will confirm in many people's minds the idea that the military is behind" the assassination. For it's part, the U.S. will likely "be scrambling to say the election either needs to be held as planned or postponed rather than canceled, but Musharraf is in a position to preempt that."

As a result, Rubin says, U.S. strategy is "in tatters."

From http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/004984.php

The bolded line says it all, military and hence Musharaff complicit. And weird Bushie was leaving on the same day the Pakistan election was suppose to take place, Jan. 9th, but he is only going to Israel.
Sir Winston Churchill

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »
CBC Radio One has a special programme on her assassination right now. This is utterly dreadful news, even for people with no illusions in Bhutto and her candidacy.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
I can't help but wonder what Plan B is because it appears her loss was calculated into the body politic, I mean it had to be, didn't it?

eta - it should be noted that Bhutto called for TV campaigning and Musharaff shut that down, so open-air campaigning was the only way to get her message out.

http://65.36.215.69/
Sir Winston Churchill

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: State of Emergency - Pakistan
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
I'm not sure if this story applies to a state of emergency in Pakistan, but it is devilishly complicated to say the least.

Bugti's son offers 1B Rs bounty for Musharaff's head along with 1,000 acres of land

The offer was made by Talal Akbar Bugti, the son of late Baloch leader Nawab Akbar Bugti and chief of the  Jamhoori Watan Party,   while addressing a news conference in Quetta yesterday. Bugti said   Musharraf also deserved a death sentence for overthrowing an elected   government in 1999. [/l]

How much is that in U.S. or Canadian funds? Where does one get that kind of money? He won the gas/oil rights on his family's land, but holy schmoley.

Musharraf is in England staging and plotting his comeback to Pakistan, this will no doubt put a crimp in that objective. Is this retaliation for Bugti's father's death, or a stampout of Musharraf's new party called All Pakistan Muslim League?

In conjunction the Pakistan Muslim League-N has issued a ‘charge sheet’ against former   president General (Retd.) Pervez Musharraf, Geo News reported Monday.
It calls for bringing Pervez Musharraf back to Pakistan through Interpol   and a commission be formed on his admittance of handing over people to   the US.

“Action be taken against Musharraf Article-6 of the Constitution,” the charge sheet demanded.

Certainly that would ensure never again Martial Law in Pakistan??
As a retired general living in England he certainly has many benefits, eg planning and staging his return with a new party, perhaps this would revoke all of that, then he would have no immunity. I dunno, smarter people will know more, Mandos?

Oh wait...Article 6 is High treason

Apart from high treason, would his Oath not also be involved? Eg., not to steal millions of the country's money thru corruption?

I'm confused as to why Bugti's son is offering a billion when the PML could do it for him, unless of course he doesn't want him to escape and live the life of riley before the process can be launched by Interpol.

No statement as of yet from Musharraf.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT