Author Topic: Evangelicals are intellectually dishonest  (Read 5841 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Evangelicals are intellectually dishonest
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
Shoot a few, capture a few and convert the rest, all in a days work .....

from Military.com

Knight Ridder/Tribune

DOHA, Qatar -- U.S. Soldiers have been encouraged to spread the message of their Christian faith among Afghanistan's predominantly Muslim population, video footage obtained by Al Jazeera appears to show.

Military chaplains stationed in the U.S. air base at Bagram were also filmed with Bibles printed in the country's main Pashto and Dari languages.

In one recorded sermon, Lt. Col. Gary Hensley, the chief of the U.S. military chaplains in Afghanistan, is seen telling Soldiers that as followers of Jesus Christ, they all have a responsibility "to be witnesses for him".

"The special forces guys -- they hunt men basically. We do the same things as Christians, we hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down," he says.

"Get the hound of heaven after them, so we get them into the kingdom. That's what we do, that's our business."

Now this is confusing .... the good mullahs of Afghanistan tend to chop the heads of anyone who is an apostate. I guess if ya can't shoot 'em, convert 'em - works out to the same thing.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
"we hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down," he says.

"Get the hound of heaven after them, so we get them into the kingdom. That's what we do, that's our business."   :shock:  Utterly immoral and makes my skin creep.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »
Heh. Pentagon says tape edited, taken out of context.
In response Al Jazeerah releases whole unedited kit and kaboodle.
Worse.  :twisted:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 05:44:08 AM »
Quote from: Alison@Creekside
Heh. Pentagon says tape edited, taken out of context.
In response Al Jazeerah releases whole unedited kit and kaboodle.
Worse.  :twisted:

That Pentagon release must be intended only for internal consumption. The Magazine, Military.com is intended for people in the American services: currently or just retired. If they post things of shaky veracity they are quickly brought up by their readership.

It is an independent organization and particularly in matters like pensions, medical care and benefits for relatives, either for actively serving members or those just out of the service, can be rather hard on the command structure.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
Amy Goodman looks into the allegations .... it is just part of a larger organized attempt to "Christianize" the military.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »
As other Christians also are.

Matt Taibi takes on those who pimp the righteousness of faith.  
... And…well, I’m not going to get into this too much, because taking an axe to some soggy old Catholic academic is beginning to feel wrong somehow. But something tells me we’re going to be hearing more of this rhetoric, if for no other reason that whenever money gets tight and the times get nervous even intellectuals will suddenly start talking about God. You see this same phenomenon played out on a more crude level in Southern fundamentalism, where the megachurches are smart enough to send their missionaries to rehab centers and prisons and everywhere else you find people stumbling, confused, and vulnerable to a soul-snatching out of their various existential car wrecks — and now that 21st century capitalism has hit the wall and yuppies everywhere are flying through the windshield into debt and foreclosure, the God-hawkers will show up here, too, to argue that where materialism and science have let your postmodern liberal self down, religion comes ready with answers. ...

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »
I found his dismissals of Eagleton a little glib.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »
Quote from: Mandos
I found his dismissals of Eagleton a little glib.

Indeed - even since I discovered Lunging, Flailing, Mispunching, by Eagleton in the London Review of Books I have been a big fan of his.

Eagleton, in this review of The God Delusion, criticizes Richard Dawkins for attacking a view of God espoused by fundamental/evangelical Preachers, like Falwell, Roberson et al. Having done that, he claims he has destroyed any basis for belief in a Diety. (That is what the flailing and mispunching is about - the misplaced attack.)

Tabbi's vision of a closely reasoned argument seems to be:
Fish was mostly riffing on a recent book written by the windily pompous University of Manchester professor Terry Eagleton, a pudgily superior type, physically resembling a giant runny nose, who seems to have been raised by indulgent aunts who gave him sweets every time he corrected the grammar of other children.
and complaining that he cannot understand Eagleton.

Perhaps he should return to being a Sports writer or perhaps being the pro-basketball player he once was (in Mongolia no less  :shock: ).

Tabbi also wrote a tasteful piece called: The Ten Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope. to show what a class act he is.

Toe - I defended a rant by Tabbi in the Boom About To Go Bust thread. You were sceptical and unconvinced by it .... I now bow to your greater wisdom.   :mrgreen:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
I have friends in the UK  who know Eagleton well and say he is a fine chap.

And not necessarily verbose. A couple of random quotes:

"In some traditionalist universities not long ago, you could not research on authors who were still alive. This was a great incentive to slip a knife between their ribs one foggy evening, or a remarkable test of patience if your chosen novelist was in rude health and only 34."

"What perished in the Soviet Union was Marxist only in the sense that the Inquisition was Christian."

His book on Benjamin is lined up with all my books by and on Benjamin.

The insinuation that Eagleton is an arselicker for the comfortable is strange indeed.

That said, I don't believe in a God, but know lots of fine people who do. In particular in the refugee/sanctuary movement, many people of faith from all faiths.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 06:44:19 AM »
Where did I read a quote yesterday that went something like (quoting from memory):

"The endless bickering between the God-people and the no-God-people is proof that the Devil exists and he intends to bore us all to death."

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 05:30:16 AM »
The good folks at Conservapædia are rewriting the Bible so it better conforms to wingnut ideology. My personal fave : "damsel" to be replaced by "bimbo"
h/t Pharyngula

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »
Copycats. Or more precisely, copylolcats.  :D

I like the lolcat Bible project much better. Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn you. Srsly.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »
The lolcat translation is definitely more poetic and thought-provoking. I can get behind that one.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »
Article about rightwing groups organizing against mainstream churches

...The political right-wing, operating in the guise of a gaggle of so-called "renewal groups," particularly one named the Institute on Religion and Democracy (IRD), has acquired the money and political will to target three mainline American denominations: The United Methodist Church, the Presbyterian Church USA, and the Episcopal Church. The IRD was created and is sustained by money from right-wing foundations and has spent millions of dollars over 20 years attacking mainline denominations. The IRD's conservative social-policy goals include increasing military spending and foreign interventions, opposing environmental protection efforts, and eliminating social welfare programs...
ETA; it's a 2003 article.

Interestingly, this is from a link posted  in the comments at RealClimate by Timothy Chase: including Comment 322 and several other comments nearby, with links.  He writes:

...On various occasions people have brought up the “Environmental Stewardship Project,” an attempt to undermine the conclusions of climatology in public sphere by means of religion. At this point I believe it is possible to show how this part of a broader effort to impose political ideology upon the nation’s churches, one that is funded by the very same foundations that have been funding so much of the concerted attack upon the science of climatology....
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT