Author Topic: FTA agreements with Peru, Panama, Colombia  (Read 8442 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: FTA agreements with Peru, Panama, Colombia
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:13 PM »
Wonderful work, Alison. Maybe some Liberals will react to this ... maybe. Do we know who's on the committee?

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 11:37:35 PM »
Apologies, Skdadl, I'm working a lot right now.
The committee will be CIIT - International Trade - Con chair + 6 useless Cons : Dean Allison, Ron Cannan, Richard Harris, Ed Holder, Gerald Keddy. Libs - Scott Brison and Mario Silva, and yeah! Peter Julian, NDP, who is just killer on this stuff!
AFAIK, the only time they've met re the Canada-Colombia FTA this session was the day it was tabled - Mar 26 - and they had to adjourn to go vote. An unrecorded vote I might add  :annoyed:

Colombia Ambassador Duarte and Colombia Senator Robledo appeared as witnesses.
In answer to questions from Julian and Silva, Robledo absolutely scathing re the FTA : Approval of the CanCol FTA will effectively "absolve, pardon, and reward" Uribe for his support of human rights abuses. It will condemn Colombia to poverty and result in even lower labour standards than they already have in order to compete with influx of subsidized Canadian foodstuffs. Local farmers will not be able to compete and will lose their land. 9 million hectares already unused while food imports have increased to $8 million. 18 years of trade with US has worsened living and labour conditions - 49 assassinations last year. More paramilitary orgs now, not less.
Duarte spoke in favour of FTA: Paramilitaries must be reabsorbed into society as civilians. To do this we must have work for them. FTA will provide work. 80% of Colombians love Uribe.
Robledo : That's crap.
Click meeting 11 for audio.

P.S. I've listened to many audios of many committees. I fail to see any reason to have Cons on them. This isn't just my personal prejudice against them speaking - they arrive unprepared and maunder on in the vaguest possible fashion, using up their entire allotted 7 minutes without actually asking a questions. Srsly. Most frequent witness response to a Con's turn at the mike - What was the question? Was there a question?
We are ruled by idiots.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:05 AM »
Thanks very much, Alison, and not to apologize. You've done the homework, and I'm bad for asking to peek over your shoulder.  :oops:

Well -- send notices when you can.   :(

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »
I'm bad for asking to peek over your shoulder.  

My pleasure - it's an honour.

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
Good news! Colombia-Canada corporate FTA off the order paper for debate - for now at least.
Harper Index quotes Peter Julian's opinion that it has been halted because the optics are too iffy.
Thank you, trade union movement!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »
Very good news, for the time being at least. I wonder whether the shift in the U.S.'s position slowed Harper down too. That's still likely to be temporary, so it's important to keep the pressure on.

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 09:02:11 AM »
Canada-Peru FTA received royal assent last week, just as President Alan Garcia has opened up 45 million hectares of the Amazon and its oil, gas and forestry resources to foreign investors while privatizing community land plots and aboriginal land. Protests.  Massacres.
Stockwell Day : "These agreements will help increase prosperity, help provide better working conditions, and improve environmental management."

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 02:12:22 PM »
The second item on the agenda when parliament reconvenes on Monday is the second reading of the Canada Colombia FTA.
12:00 noon
GOVERNMENT ORDERS
Government Bills (Commons)

C-23 — The Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway — Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act — Second reading (resuming debate on the subamendment of Ms. Crowder (Nanaimo—Cowichan))

The Dominion has a letter of protest and email addies of relevant MPs.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
I posted the email I sent earlier today. I kept it short and I put my position in the subject line in case all they have a chance to do is count yeas and nays. I addressed it to the first six of everybody's list of Liberals. I'm assuming it's a whipped vote and if you get the leadership on side, you've got them all.

FWIW, I've received an automated response from Ignatieff's "office" to acknowledge receipt.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
Dear [skdadl]

Thank you for your message about the House of Commons debate on the ratification of the Canada-Colombia free trade agreement, with its side agreements on labour and the environment, together with an understanding on investment and taxation.

If there is no election, as a result of a decision by either the Bloc or the NDP to support the Harper government, it is indeed likely that this bill will go to committee, where there will be substantial discussions on the impact of the treaty. The Liberal Party will be supportive of the bill proceeding to committee, but further support will depend on satisfactory answers to our questions and concerns.

Bob recently had the opportunity to travel to Colombia, and met with business and trade union leaders, as well as leaders of non-governmental organizations and of course the Colombian government itself. Though better informed about the situation, Bob remains determined to listen and learn during the debate.

Unlike other parties, Bob is not ideologically opposed to all trade agreements which provide for freer and more open trade. Bob of course remains deeply committed to human rights and development, and is eager to hear competing views about the agreement.

Once again thank you again for writing to Bob with your concerns.

Yours Sincerely

Christopher Leslie
Parliamentary Assisstant
Office of the Hon. Bob Rae
613-992-5234
raeb@parl.gc.ca

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »
That's more than I've gotten.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
That hardly seems fair since I just copied your letter.   :mrgreen:

Anyway, the Libs are going to vote for the bill on second reading, it appears.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Dear [skdadl]

Thank you for your message about the House of Commons debate on the ratification of the Canada-Colombia free trade agreement, with its side agreements on labour and the environment, together with an understanding on investment and taxation.

If there is no election, as a result of a decision by either the Bloc or the NDP to support the Harper government, it is indeed likely that this bill will go to committee, where there will be substantial discussions on the impact of the treaty. The Liberal Party will be supportive of the bill proceeding to committee, but further support will depend on satisfactory answers to our questions and concerns.

Bob recently had the opportunity to travel to Colombia, and met with business and trade union leaders, as well as leaders of non-governmental organizations and of course the Colombian government itself. Though better informed about the situation, Bob remains determined to listen and learn during the debate.

Unlike other parties, Bob is not ideologically opposed to all trade agreements which provide for freer and more open trade. Bob of course remains deeply committed to human rights and development, and is eager to hear competing views about the agreement.

Once again thank you again for writing to Bob with your concerns.

Yours Sincerely

Christopher Leslie
Parliamentary Assisstant
Office of the Hon. Bob Rae
613-992-5234
raeb@parl.gc.ca

Today Mr. Leslie sent me the same warm and heart felt programed letter.

I sure am glad that "Bob" is not ideologically opposed to people that torture and murder their own people for the termidity of reporting situations the gov't may not like, or worse, joining a union. He has made a fine Liberal.

I have no doubt the 'trade' part of it will do well .... I bet there are thousand, veritably thousands on peeps in Columbia that lack the simple pleasures of beavertales and maple syrup - what else do we have that they need?
Oil sands oil? nope:
grain? nope:
Chevrolets? Not so many:
Quebec can always sell them electric power ... hummmm, prolly not.
oh well, if they had any newspapers of any size we could ship some product from ALPAC in Athabasca. Then our government would be able to stop bailing out Mitsubishi.

As for us ... we certainly do need more crack - the fellow downstairs on the corner tells me that his price is going up all the time. (Especially after you try his 'free sample'.)  :geezera:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
I'm beginning to get the impression that the Liberal party really doesn't like me. Oddly enough, I seem to be okay with that.

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
The International Trade Committee this bill will proceed to consists of 6 Cons, 3 Libs, 2 Bloc, and 1 NDP. Lib Scott Brison is already stridently in favour, with Lib Mario Silva not far behind, so it's 9 to 3 in favour of passing.
On Sept 15 the committee met for 15 minutes in camera, meeting minutes locked.
They met again Sept 17, minutes and even info on length of meeting locked.

ETA : During the last session, a meeting with a senator from Colombia opposed and the Colombian ambassador in favour was adjourned mid-meeting because members had to return to the house to vote on the first reading. No one is even pretending this committee has any creds.

Return To TAT