Author Topic: Christmas is coming... arrrgh  (Read 28542 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Christmas is coming... arrrgh
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
Went to get my weekly groceries this morning, and the store is full of Christmas crap - and it's only November 9th! What the heck?  There's not even any snow on the ground - yet.  :santa2:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »
To lift the mood a little, Boom Boom ...

Early this morning, I read this post at A Creative Revolution, which has something to do with giving presents, although it's about more than that. By the time I got to the end, I was in tears. It is a lovely thing to read, and don't miss the Velveteen Rabbit.

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:28:39 PM »
I'm already collecting small things for stocking stuffers.  Have been since September.  It works better if I'm relaxed and just pick stuff up as I happen on it over time, rather than in a panicked rush the week before Santa day.

I picked up a prezzie for Ms C at an art and craft fair last week -- a really cool handmade purse.  Today I bought a calligraphy set for Ms B.  And so it begins...
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »
Boycotting it utterly. If my circumstances improve somewhat, will organise a sumptuous non-Christmas supper for some friends around that time of year, simply because a lot of people are off work around then. Typically a paella, and related dishes.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »
I enjoy Christmas, actually, but all the commercial stuff does get to me. I miss family time at Christmas, and will accept invitations from friends here in Kegaska. If I don't get an invite, I'll probably go to the midnight service, watch some movies, get to bed late, and sleep in on Christmas Day, then get up and cook a small turkey, and play on the computer all day, alternating with the telly.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »
Trying to get my Christmas shopping done this weekend. Typically, we pick a single day, go out for brunch and then blitz the malls and get everything finished all at once. It's usually a stressful day, but at least it's only one day.

I won't be celebrating much at Christmas, actually. Taking my vacations now (to get a cheaper holiday next week than we'd get at Christmas) means that I'll be at work on all but the stat days this year. That's a good thing, actually, as the office is always really, really quiet then.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
I'm halfway between Boom-Boom/Lagatta and those with kids who must have Xmas. Receiving e-mails now from family members, saying they feel like they work their asses off and xmas is last priority, kids only.

I'll be bereft without my D around, my solace will be knowing she is having a good time.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:38:35 PM »
I always found it odd some of the gifts that folks give at Christmas. For example, when I was 17 or 18, me bruddah gave me the first Fugs album (this was back in 1967 or 68), with some really weird songs on it. I get a lot of catalogue spam in the mail, and some violent video games are really being pushed this year. I actually don't enjoy giving (or getting) gifts at Christmas - I'd rather be with friends and/or family just relaxing a bit, and sharing a meal, and also sharing all the jobs associated with the day - preparation, cleaning, etc...

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
You are such a domesticated animal Boom-Boom, such as me. Those are things I find such comfort and glow from as well.

Hey I got offered a documentary on Idi Amin the other day from a friend who said there only 'so many copies'. I still don't know what to think about that.
Like Idi Amin was a juvenile disaster, and I have no interest in him really. This is suppose to be a xmas gift.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Marisa Jonas ?

• View Profile
    • http://theanimalactivist.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 07:02:28 PM »
I love Christmas. I love the gifts, the Christmas dinner, the Christmas tree, the decorations, the time with family and friends, the snow, Santa and his reindeer, Christmas shows and movies, gift shopping and spying on Christmas eve to see if Santa and his reindeer exist.

but, i don't see the point of Christmas, halloween, easter and other holiday stuff being put out months before the holiday.  

:hug:  :santa2:  :snowball:

merry Christmas to everyone.  :hug:
Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.  ~John Stuard Mill ???

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 07:07:26 PM »
I loathe Christmas. Most depressing time of the year. But I try to make little non-Christmasy things to do with friends.

No gifts - but I do usually enjoy a pleasant supper with friends.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
skullgirl12 I was cynical about Christmas until I read your post ..... thank you ..... it IS wonderful.   :D

thank you
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 07:52:23 PM »
skullgirl is wunnerful :D - but must remember that for many people Christmas is a most painful time of year.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »
Christmas has become Big Business... that bums it out for me. I hate the decorations (especially when severely overdone - what a waste of hydro and resources), I hate the expectations, pressure, and outright stress that people put themselves under at that time of year. I keep a very simple Christmas - I send cards to family and friends, one small string of lights on an outdoor tree, a creche in the house foyer, and a small turkey with cranberries. That's it.

ETA: I was born in 1949, and I don't remember a time when Christmas wasn't Big Business.  :(

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
skullgirl is wunnerful :D - but must remember that for many people Christmas is a most painful time of year.

and some have difficulties on their birthday, or their children's birthday, especially if the child is absent/pass away. They deserve sympathy - but, I suspect they need sympathy for most of the year. We do agree in the refreshing skullgirl.  :D  

I keep a very simple Christmas - I send cards to family and friends, one small string of lights on an outdoor tree, a creche in the house foyer, and a small turkey with cranberries. That's it.

I am impressed, Boon Boom ... keep it personal and non-commercial, quiet and yours.  :highfive

I am alone here, so two years ago I worked at a hostle serving food to the street people - last year I worked for some of my workmates so they could spend Christmas with their family. So far this year I do not really know my shift and cannot make any plans.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT