Author Topic: Christmas is coming... arrrgh  (Read 28540 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Christmas is coming... arrrgh
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 08:44:35 PM »
Not the same, because on my birthday etc nobody is telling me I must be happy. Mandatory mirth is extremely oppressive.

I hate Christmas.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »
Except for sending a card every year to relatives for their birthdays, I pretty much ignore birthdays altogether - easy to do, since it's not a day off. Imagine a day off because it's your birthday!  :roll:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 09:46:29 PM »
You may want to reread my post - I said that somepeople have problems on their birthday - some have problems on Victoria Day, some on the first full moon after the equinox. People have their own reasons to be miserable. It was not directed to you. No one, certainly not me, is telling you to be happy, unhappy or anything inbetween.

The contrast of their own unhappyness and the (often forced) merryness of the Yule Season may serve to high lite their unique depression of some individuals. The spark that sets off this is personal to the individual. Here is Shakespear on friendship:

Heigh-ho! sing heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly.
That is as depressing as you can get - yet no reason to abandon all 'loving' and 'friendship'.

That some people will be set off arbitrarily by something within them is no reason to trash the whole occasion.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
I like the days off, and I am enjoying my kid and the whole Santa thing.  This year is the in-laws, which is fine if exhausting.  Next year it's back to the farm, which is fine if exhausting.

One side of the family does not give gifts anymore, outside fun cheap things in the stockings.  The other side (mine) has adopted a names-from-a-hat approach, so each person only buys one gift for another adult (plus their partner, if they choose).  And we've adopted a 1 gift for the boy per family unit rule, mostly to get a grip on my mother's excess.

It is mostly about family.  I don't watch tv, so most of the glurge goes right past me.

All that said, if I never have to sit through another faux cheery office Xmas party again it will be too many already.  The urge to scream that almost overtakes me when the boss from hell begins on a pompous speech about how wonderful we all are.  The pathos of some of the others.  The godawful gift exchange.  And a fair number of us aren't Xian either, which just makes it all the more idiotic.

One of my favourite parts of the last couple of Xmases was Hannukah, and particularly when George Bush lit the menorah at the White House.  

The trouble with the terrorists is, they don't know the true meaning of Hannukah

I'd have given a thousand dollars to the first member of the White House Press corps to ask George what he thought of as the true meaning of Hannukah.  Personally I haven't a clue, but I'm fairly sure it isn't Jewish Christmas...
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 04:30:05 AM »
Quote from: arborman
All that said, if I never have to sit through another faux cheery office Xmas party again it will be too many already.  The urge to scream that almost overtakes me when the boss from hell begins on a pompous speech about how wonderful we all are.  The pathos of some of the others.  The godawful gift exchange.  And a fair number of us aren't Xian either, which just makes it all the more idiotic.
Office Xmas :panic Those are the worst, eh?  

I got off easy last year (my first & last at the Hamilton job) b/c my boss was immersed in the whole hospital-wine'n-dine scene. (Sidenote: it's truly disgusting how much industry will spend to make the doctors happy.)

The London/UWO years were grit-yer-teeth miserable at Xmas. My supervisor was quite hard-core Catholic and didn't really "get" that some of us weren't on the same page. I also didn't appreciate having to spend $20 to attend the virtually mandatory party. My sister's workplace is like that too: you gotta go and you gotta pay to go.  
One of my favourite parts of the last couple of Xmases was Hannukah, and particularly when George Bush lit the menorah at the White House.  

[quote:botz79ls]The trouble with the terrorists is, they don't know the true meaning of Hannukah
[/quote:botz79ls]
 :rotfl: Jon Stewart has played that clip at least twice a year since 2001, and the look on W's face is just priceless: the gyu has no f#*& idea, and there's poor ol' Laura standing over his shoulder. Gotta find that one on Youtube tomorrah.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 05:43:57 AM »
Not being an office worker the closest I have come to an office party is we collected some money if we worked Christmas on shift and bought a turkey & fix'ins. (Usually a donation for the local Woman's Shelter/food bank was included, but not manditory.)

I also recall that Keneth Colin Irving, with son Arthur in tow, himself turned up on several Christmases. (Given the size and extend of his holdings and his well known distaste for the heavily unionized refinery it was doubly amazing.)  :shock:

Were your Parties like this?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 06:51:36 AM »
In the '70s our office parties were simple, because we were on the federal payroll. I think maybe two bottles of whisky for our staff - we were all program officers along with two office managers and support staff - just enough for everyone to get their three or four ounces of whisky straight up. There was a small (artificial) tree and each of us was allowed to give and receive one gift. Things were tight back then, and this was a federal make-work program under a lot of pressure (LIP) so we had to run a very tight ship, and we did.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 07:37:03 AM »
Croghan -- that series of office-party memos:

:rotfl:

For a lot of years, because T's birthday was 12 December and a number of other co-workers and friends were also Sagittarians, T threw an enormous Sagittarian party at our place in early December -- there would be 80, 90 people at those parties at their height, and I loved them, mostly because with that many people it is simply impossible to pretend you are host -- you just go with the flow.

T started to have the vague feeling that the company were relying on his party as a substitute for a proper Christmas party, which was increasingly true, the cheap bastards, and after he retired (in some anger), he decided he didn't want to do the mass party any more. We brought the numbers way down, to a dozen or so closest old friends, and it turned into a Sunday brunch because so many were aging anyway.

What can I tell ya? It was fun while it lasted. But a lot of people always have double vision over even the best ritual occasions, and of course a lot of them aren't the best.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 07:59:28 AM »
The latter is more like the type of alternative celebration I usually organise around that time of year.

Ageing? You were younger then than I am now. Sure, we are ageing from the moment we are born, but...

Although, rereading you, this could refer to older friends...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 08:53:08 AM »
Quote from: lagatta
Ageing? You were younger then than I am now. Sure, we are ageing from the moment we are born, but...

Although, rereading you, this could refer to older friends...

Ageism is a terrible thing ..... we can take heart that it is being fought all over the world - especially in Germany. Why just the other day I was reading this article in SPIEGEL online.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
:mrgreen: Personally, I think that guy should get some kind of arsehole of the year award. Nothing to do with his age - I'm sure he was an arsehole as a young'un and in middle age as well.

Funny what you say about Germany, as actually it is very hard for workers over 50 there to find new employment once laid off. My faraway friend was freaking out at the prospect of his plant (he is a highly-skilled worker, prolly a bit like you) being relocated to the Czech Republic. As a union steward he was able to avert layoff (a provision against sacking union militants)....
Rosa Luxemburg

Marisa Jonas ?

• View Profile
    • http://theanimalactivist.wordpress.com/
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 01:13:10 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
skullgirl is wunnerful :D - but must remember that for many people Christmas is a most painful time of year.

i know that some people don't celebrate Christmas and i know some people find it a very sad time of year :hug:, we don't celebrate the church way, we just do the gifts and family time.  :hug:
Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.  ~John Stuard Mill ???

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
skullgirl, what a thoughtful thing to say!  :cat:
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
In my extended youth, the season was all about parties and there were some fantastic ones. I also got into the habit of hosting a Winter Solstice party that was great fun. But xmas eve was all about the tree with just a close friend and/or partner (and kitties) to share the moment, same with xmas day after my mom passed away.

I never liked the "family" aspect because in my household if always felt forced and stressful. So getting together with the SO meant a number of years of "family" obligations that totally blew what was my own private xmas. Moving to Winnipeg proved to be the opportunity to recreate it again but without the Solstice celebration. (Although each year we toy with the idea of reinstating a more intimate version.)

I like to pick and chose what is comforting and meaningful for me and for some reason, picking up and decorating a tree on xmas eve is a must. Part of it is the adventure of finding a tree on such late notice and rigging the thing up (because I tend to forget the status of the tree stand). I put on all my cheezy xmas LPs while I decorate the tree. xmas day is all about the SO cooking up a xmas spaghetti and watching movies.

I get nervous when there is talk of doing xmas with one family member or another (I find it stressful and depressing) and over the years the SO has learned that. Now, we try to plan family visits so that they fall either before or after that day.

That was a very thoughtful post skull girl. Some people do feel very alone and it's sad that there is so much pressure to make a big deal of that day. I've spent a few xmas holidays alone but had little rituals that made me happy.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
On the other hand, the church service is one of the few things I do like about Christmas. Here, there's a service for children at 7pm Christmas Eve, it's truly a saccharine affair, and I stay away from it.

There's a second service at midnight that I always attend, usually it's just older (35+) folk, with four or five carols in a simple communion service using the old book, short sermon, with a tree decorated with lights, and candles lit on the altar. Quite a nice service, usually over in 55 minutes.

Return To TAT