Author Topic: Christmas is coming... arrrgh  (Read 28543 times)

anne cameron

• View Profile
Christmas is coming... arrrgh
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2007, 09:16:23 PM »
Obviously the Grinch was busy.  Half of Tahsis has the 'flu, the other half are terrified they'll be next.  Only twentyfive to thirty adults showed up for the Community Xmas dinner, there was food for four times that many.  

Then I started to ache; back first, then the rest of me.  Didn't do any hurling, just a sort of "nah, I don' wanna eat nuffink" feeling for a couple of days.  But from what I gather from phone calls, some people have been very busy at both ends.

I have an acquaintance who insists it's all a conspiracy...that the Xmas oranges and tangerines come "doctored" with 'flu virus... her proof is that every year, as soon as they hit the supermarkets, everyone starts coming down with 'flu.

Timebandit

• View Profile
Christmas is coming... arrrgh
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
Yeesh. We should add that to the sidebar at BP as another reason not to have children. Germy little things.

Sometimes they're the most effective form of birth control out there...   :wink:

Actually, the wild girls were pretty good about it all.  Hard to be good-humoured when you feel like shit, but they manage most of the time.  Can't ask for much more than that.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Christmas is coming... arrrgh
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
I'd have to search my memory, but I think this is the first Christmas Eve I stayed home - couldn't get my truck out of the driveway - too much snow - and my skidoo was buried in snow and frozen to the ice below. Can't get my snowblower going, either - probably flooded the plug.

Ah, well, staying home gave me a chance to catch up on crappy Christmas TV.  :))

Happy holidays everyone. :snowball

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »
Merry Christmas to everyone, and peace, justice, friendship and joy.

ETA: Tree Tweet https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TreeTweet&src=hash
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 02:33:58 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 25, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
I stayed in all day too - for reasons too complex to bother explaining, the feast chez des amis has been postponed until tomorrow, Boxing Day.

Spent the whole day cleaning stuff - dead leaves off plants, washing shelves and baseboards etc. A friend gave me a kneeling bench for gardening this past summer, and it is a godsend for arthritics, to do any low-to-the-ground cleaning job. There were certain things I just couldn't do.

Rearranged the underwear and sock drawer too, with little baskets, for bras, panties, socks, tights etc. So many of my things are black that everything easily becomes an undifferentiated mess. Discarded some garments whose elastic had died - pity there is nowhere to recycle those for the materials.

The drawer of my work table already has the little baskets, but it has to be tidied up more often. I'll definitely do that this week.

I have some hand-washing to do, but don't know if I'll actually get to it.

I have to get rid of more stuff, but it is hard to cart it off to charity shops and recycling places in the wintertime.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 25, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
I changed the plugs and got the snowblower started, and spent the entire afternoon blowing the stuff away. Got the skidoo started, too, and moved stuff around the yard - two komatiks (sleds) full of snow which had to emptied.

Had a hot shower and a hot meal, and now discover my arthritis is back. Fingers are going numb.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 25, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
Good work Boom Boom and Lagatta!

I got a Kindle, best part is this - Kindle Owners' Lending Library - with Amazon Prime, Kindle owners can choose from more than 180,000 books to borrow for free with no due dates, including over 100 current and former New York Times best sellers. wOOt!! and the sweetest little reading lamp that clamps on it, too cute.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
Meanwhile....The Catholic Church’s angry Christmas

excerpt:

For the holidays this year, the Catholic Church chose to give the world the gift of bizarre, alienating and utterly missing the point rhetoric. Oh, you shouldn’t have! We already got one of those from the NRA!

First, Pope Benedict used his annual holiday message to the Vatican to denounce gay and lesbian progress as a “manipulation of nature” and an “attack” on the family. Now, Cardinal Sean Brady, the Primate of all Ireland, has used the galvanizing death of a pregnant woman in a Galway hospital as an excuse to double down on anti-abortion rhetoric. Guys, maybe next year you could ask Santa for a sense of timing and a pair of ears that aren’t tone-deaf.

Return To TAT