Author Topic: Activists call for more social housing  (Read 1928 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Activists call for more social housing
« on: November 14, 2007, 06:04:49 AM »
I've already written about the current FRAPRU campaign in other threads (what are you doing?, etc) but here is an article in English from the Gazoo about our week of actions. They are focusing on Rosemont, just southeast of where I live:

Montréal - activists call for more social housing

Five people stepped out of a van. Hastily, they plopped a mattress, raggedy couch, armchair and shelving unit in the parking lot of the old Norampac factory on Molson St. in Rosemont.

Minutes later, they were joined in their makeshift home by a busload of housing advocates hoping to make this vast area, which stretches from St. Joseph Blvd. in the south to Masson St. in the north, a spot for social housing in the borough.

Organized by the Comite de logement de Rosemont, in conjunction with the Front d'action populaire en reamenagement urbain, the stunt was one of many taking place during FRAPRU's province-wide week of action. The goal of the week is to showcase real solutions to the affordable housing crisis and urge the government to put more money to help fix the problem.  

In Quebec, more than 200,000 households spend more than 50 per cent of their income on rent. In at least 100,000 households, rent makes up more than 80 per cent of income.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Activists call for more social housing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
http://www.rentalcoalition.ca/the-charter/

The Canadian Rental Housing Coalition Charter outlines a nine-point plan to increase the supply of affordable rental housing across the nation. The founding members of the coalition envision a future where there is a sufficient supply of adequate, safe, secure and affordable rental housing for people with a range of incomes.
Download the Charter [PDF]
Endorse the Charter
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:37:20 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
That looks very interesting indeed. I wish it were also in French (to submit to my tenants' association and its parent bodies). I don't think I should have to translate it free of charge.

There should also be summaries in widely-spoken languages, if possible.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »
Good point Lagatta, perhaps you should send off an e-mail to them to make it so.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT