Author Topic: BC NDP passes affirmative-action rules for nominations  (Read 3969 times)

Zastrozzi

• View Profile
BC NDP passes affirmative-action rules for nominations
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »
B.C.'s New Democratic Party has endorsed a policy to set aside some riding nominations for female and minority NDP candidates.

Although endorsed by many MLAs and the party's leader, Carole James, the resolution passed only after a feisty debate on the floor of the New Democrats' last major convention before the system is to be tested in the May, 2009 provincial election.
“I think voters are looking for political parties that say, `We know we need to represent the communities,' and the legislature doesn't do that right now,” said Ms. James, who touted the resolution on the convention floor as in sync with NDP commitments to social justice and equality. ...

The plan, drafted by a party committee over two years, says:

-Thirty per cent of constituencies not held by New Democrats will be designated for female candidates.

-Ten per cent of such constituencies will be designated for candidates from “under-represented groups,” notably youth, persons of colour, the disabled, aboriginal people and those who are either gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.

-When an incumbent New Democrat does not seek re-election, the constituency will be designated automatically for women candidates to ensure women are running in seats where New Democrats have been previously elected.

Seven of the NDP's 33 MLAs are female, but many supporters of the plan said that was not enough. Ten of 46 Liberal MLAs are female.

Critics of the plan said on the convention floor that it might wrest autonomy from riding associations, that it was anti-democratic, and, in the words of one delegate, “social engineering.” ...

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:41:17 PM »
“social engineering.”
right winger in the crowd?

I don't see this as the best way to go. If any party is really serious about more female candidates they would take the time to interview women who are interested in being candidates but don't run.

Sometimes the networks are missing, sometimes the childcare arrangements sometimes the money. But find out the needs and fill them. Don't just assume if you offer it they will come.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:08:58 PM »
Once upon a time there was a women's organizer in the SK NDP.  Could prolly use a couple dozen of them now.  Sigh.

If there's no support network within the party, good luck!  I don't know a lot about Carole James, though I have heard her speak.

ETA Fix weirdness
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Zastrozzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »
Quote from: Debra
I don't see this as the best way to go. If any party is really serious about more female candidates they would take the time to interview women who are interested in being candidates but don't run. ...

Don't just assume if you offer it they will come.
Yeah, it sounds like they're enacting a policy as a substitute for taking actual steps to recruit candidates. And the article suggested that the BC Liberals have been doing something along the lines of the latter.

I guess it's another example of the NDP assuming that because our hearts are in the right place, the details will work themselves out....

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:46:24 PM »
The way this is playing out may well be the result of how power is distributed within the party.

If BC is similar to Ontario in how the party is organized and run (a reasonable bet, fundamentally) the group that passed the policy does not have control of the day to day operation of the party.  That control is exercised by apparatchiks whose focus is on winning elections.  Given this policy and the existence of barriers to winning elections by women and minorities the apparatchiks are going to start attacking those barriers.

It may not be as much sweetness and light as some would like, but given current realities I think it may well be very effective.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
I don't know about sweetness and light..sounds a little condescending.

I do know that the barriers I faced were not the the RA didn't want a woman running, nor that they didn't seek women out.

The barriers were that they were a poor riding and couldn't help with childcare expenses, travel expenses, wardrobe expenses et fucking cetra

Unless those types of issues are addressed it really doesn't matter a damn how many 'spots' they leave available.

Unless it is ok with everyone that only a certain socio-economic level ever get into the halls of power.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
My point is that with the requirements in place the people who are focussed on winning elections within the party will start attacking those problems.  In the absence of the requirement they can avoid those issues because men will be preferentially nominated in winnable ridings.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »
Quote from: jrootham
My point is that with the requirements in place the people who are focussed on winning elections within the party will start attacking those problems.  In the absence of the requirement they can avoid those issues because men will be preferentially nominated in winnable ridings.

It's a good point.  I haven't been as involved in the Party as I was before the kid came a long, but if the inner staff people have a policy that requires a certain number of women candidates, then they will be forced/encouraged to address the barriers to women participating.  

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

scott

• View Profile
    • http://watertalk.org
Re: BC NDP passes affirmative-action rules for nominations
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
A candidate is needed for the new Nelson riding - currently held by Corky Evans who wont be running again:

Folksy Evans set to quit provincial politics

If my reading of the BC-NDPs gender parity rules is correct, the Nelson riding must choose a woman candidate now.
One struggle, many fronts.

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
Re:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
Quote from: Debra
I do know that the barriers I faced were not that the RA didn't want a woman running, nor that they didn't seek women out.

The barriers were that they were a poor riding and couldn't help with childcare expenses, travel expenses, wardrobe expenses et fucking cetra

Unless those types of issues are addressed it really doesn't matter a damn how many 'spots' they leave available.

Unless it is ok with everyone that only a certain socio-economic level ever get into the halls of power.
Just catching up with this thread and couldn't let the above just go by. It's bang on and relevant to all parties.

Return To TAT