Author Topic: Clutter  (Read 3950 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Clutter
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »
As you may recall, we have a friend with Compulsive Hoarding disorder, and we have to help him clean out the stables ... er, his flat.

A messy mess, from the Wikipedia page on compulsive hoarding

I have a tendency to accumulate clutter, mostly piles of paper and documents. Suppose it is normal for someone working on documents all day, whether for $$$ or activist commitments - and no, neither has become paper-free. Think a lot of people do. And yet, getting rid of the stuff and having breathing room feels so good.

How do you handle clutter?

Edited to add: An article about the reasons people keep too much stuff, from AARP - so it deals mostly with older people (my friend is younger than I am - under 40).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:15:27 PM »
I don't think it's compulsive with me, but if I develop the compulsive disorder, there won't be much apparent difference.  It's mostly books and paper that I hold onto; but I do have the odd cracked glass and chipped mug sitting in the cupboard that I should really throw out.  Right now I'm not dealing with it; or just a small amount at a time.

ETA: I had an uncle by marriage who was compulsive, would go to farm auctions and filled up his basement at least with stuff.  The thing is that on a farm, you can store lots of stuff in outbuildings, as long as it's not delicate.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

lagatta

• View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »
Chipped or broken crockery, once smashed, is great for drainage in the bottom of pots, and taking a hammer to it can be a good release for frustration.

Me too, essentially books and papers, and the books are in proper bookcases. They have been sorted through a few times, the last time when I moved into the co-op. I still have a box of books I have to take to a charity. I have one of those taboos about throwing books in the trash or the recycling, unless they are in tatters...

Some clothes I never wear as well, although once again I tossed and gave away a lot when I moved. They find themselves at the same charity shops where I bought a lot of them - no worse for wear, as I scarcely wore them.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Timebandit

• View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 01:27:21 PM »
My desk is usually cluttered.  So are the sinks in my laundry room -- not hooked up to a drain yet, so have become a "holding area" for stuff either on its way out or unclassified as stay or go.  Eventually it either goes or finds a home, but I still have the clutter.

Big challenge here is getting rid of the masses of paper and art projects the kids bring home.  Sometimes they have to be gotten rid of surreptitiously, so it winds up sitting until there's an opportunity.  Like any kind of clutter, it seems to multiply if it sits for any length of time.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Clutter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 01:31:52 PM »
I am close to being overwhelmed myself, in my case not because I'm a hoarder but just because clearing out that much stuff is really very hard work.

You do have to think as you do much of it, and that's what makes it hard work. So of course it is easier to do nothing and just hoard. I feel for anyone stuck in this situation.

I inherited someone else's hoard, and tidying that up would take courage I haven't had for too long. And then I have my own mess. It weighs on the mind, but some things need to be preserved. If only I could figure out where they are now ...   :panic

kuri

• View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
I have the same issues with paper and books (though it's getting better with books as I'm reading from the library more and re-gifting or donating the light fiction that my mom is always dropping off here* when she's done with it). I also have a yarn problem. Though very minor compared to what the Yarn Harlot describes in her book, I'm accumulating a pretty big stash, what with so many unfinished projects and a liquidating Lewiscraft one block away (I've seen $17.99 skeins of mohair marked down to $2.99, who's going to pass that up?). Clothes are also a problem, especially with weight fluctuation.

I don't think I deal with well this: I let it get bad, until I can't take it anymore and then I get ruthless. Occasionally after that, I have regrets, but rarely.

Having a filing cabinet is a temporary offset to the paper mess, but, y'know, for how long. I have my tax returns from 1998 onwards. I should probably start shredding some of those.

*Her coping strategy, no doubt.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Oh gawd I feel queasy, don't even get me started on sweetie's boxes of paper.  :flame  which somehow find themselves out of the box and all over, back in the box, out again, new ones to add, oh oh
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:23:10 PM »
Mindful of how Capone was taken down, I've got boxes of papers - tax returns, reciepts, etc going back quite a few years.  :spy:

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Clutter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
I've found the original clutter post (virtual clutter?) since we've been discussing downsizing, divesting etc.

Here is an interesting post on the subject from another board: http://www.unefemme.net/2011/10/desire-to-divest.html

Funny, one poster likes clutter because of her interest in history and geneaology. I have a degree in history and no interest in amassing "stuff", though like most people who work with books and paper, I have far too much papery clutter. Even the virtual clutter has to be cleaned up and dumped from the computer, old floppy discs etc.
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
I don't have clutter. I have stuff. Too much stuff. And it looks like the condo sale is about to go through. Which means I have to go through a lot of stuff.  :mad2 :crying :mad2 :crying
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
But the condo purchase is a good thing, no? Still,  :crying saying goodbye to a long-time home. It was hell on earth going through stuff and downsizing when we moved in mid-February. And it was just sad recognizing that I was leaving 10 years of routines, neighbours and memories.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »
Not to put a damper on anyone's energies to get rid of stuff and de-clutter, it's taken me 8 months to do just that. Altho right now I cannot find my 1st editions box of books. Just before I fell asleep last night I had a Eureka moment of exactly where it was, satisfied I went to sleep. Now I can't remember.  :confused  I wish you great luck A! Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it is bloody dreary.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
And it was just sad recognizing that I was leaving 10 years of routines, neighbours and memories.

Yes. In that respect, the upside is, I won't be far, just 1.5k away from my usual haunts for shopping etc. The downside is I shall miss the garden (but not the gardening) and the parks and laneways where I let Jericho off-leash for a run. I will have the ravine but it's not the same, and may be quite dangerous when muddy or icy.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
I hope you have a good big balcony with a view...

Though even in Toronto, the downside of balcony gardening is that most plants can't winter over. Here, I don't even dare leave the ivy out (while it would be fine if planted in the ground). It is still out though.
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
I have a 700 70 sf balcony with a spectacular view. Poor me.

Edited to re-multiply 10x7  ::)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:23:36 PM by Antonia »
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT