Author Topic: What are you eating/cooking?  (Read 15730 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
What are you eating/cooking?
« on: January 06, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
Me, nothing. Having a beer, watching the game.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
As everbuddy knows, I don't get supper tonight. sparqui et it all herself.

There is lots of cat food, mind. I'm off to serve it up to the guys before I open some mail and so to bed. Maybe Guinny will leave me some scraps. She just pushes the last chunks around for a while and then leaves them. Yum.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »
crogh wishes he were with fern for the game (and the beer  :wink: ) Due to the continually screwed up paying practices of the federal gubberment he is short of the long green this weekend.  :evil:

Still, hot doggies and peanut butter sammies are a major staple.  :D

crogh have peeked out of der croghangaden a couple of times this weekend to find there has been/ some first class turmoil going on in the house.

One young fellow has been ejected. I am not sure exactly why he got the: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels":  :rant:  (Ottawa Rooms. 25:42) crogh does know that the feller was ....er....er.. not dealing from a full deck - now this is bad enough, but he does not know this, and operates on a higher plane than he can handle. Upon receiving his disability allowance from the gubberment each month, he immediately has all manner of 'friends' that he treats to quantities of crack - until said disability allowance is gone. This, I suspect, had something to do with it.

(note: He came into the room to use my phone one time and I tryed hard as I can not to,  I overheard much of the conversation - his mother did the same thing.)

There are other disturbances in the force going on about as well - as I really have little to do with the rest of the house/tenents they remain to be learned.  :spy:

Once more crogh thinks of the cannoneers on Nelson's ship Victory - being at cannon level themselves their deck got the first and worst of any cannonade. Their quip was: "T'is a short life, but a merry one."  :yay:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »
Croghan, weren't you recently close to getting out of there? (I'll miss the stories, but. . . ) How's that going?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
Croghan, weren't you recently close to getting out of there? (I'll miss the stories, but. . . ) How's that going?

Heavy sigh here .. yes I was oh so close .....  :dance

For some reason the real estate agent did not get back to me for two weeks and by then the property manager had rented it out ....

There was yet another, closer to here (which I liked) - a large basement batch - again, the frick-frackin agent did not return my calls - and I was left with 'no room in the inn' or elsewhere, save here.  :annoyed:

I am once again activating the search that I let slide in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I need a cat  :cat:  :cat: to keep me aware of my place in the grand scale of things. Here, there is no room for 'kits, cats, sacks or wives'.

I do not mind the antics of the denizens .. the place is (mostly) quiet and I am (mostly) left alone. I have lived in yuppie heaven before and so far prefer this social/economic level. Living on the edge gives these people (as it has me) a certain urgency to just exist.

Okay, I cannot go down the hall and discuss the performance of Handel's Messiah I attended a couple of weeks ago - but there is a lot of football fans and can talk with about the games. (Even if they come from a wagering interest - while I like the grace and beauty of the game.)

I'll miss the stories, but. .
Still lotsa stories .... from the cab-driver downstairs in Toronto who would get drunk once a month and LOUDY  play his complete collection of 'ABBA' - I accused him of trying to "Commander" me to death. or the gay young man across the hall who's mother, not allowing him to practice his sexuality in her home, set him up in the apartment there.

"There are eight million stories in the Naked City," may have been about NYC - but, like any good work of art - it's beauty lies in it's universality.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:42:21 AM »
Quote from: Croghan27
Still lotsa stories .... from the cab-driver downstairs in Toronto who would get drunk once a month and LOUDY  play his complete collection of 'ABBA' - I accused him of trying to "Commander" me to death.

:rotfl: Gotta love the ABBA fans...they can crop up anywhere, sometimes where you'd least expect it.  About 9 yrs ago, I shared an office with a much older student who couldn't write up his experiments w/o his ABBA.  I was just starting out, and too shy to ask him to find some headphones.  Lucky for me there were three other gyus in the office who were *ahem* more assertive than moi.  There was something in the air, that night...the stars, so bright...Fernandooooo

Another friend of mine nearly came to blows with his room-mate over unauthorized ABBA, during exam-cramming-time.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure they're even talking anymore--homewreckers!  :lol:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 06:20:21 AM »
When I was teaching at a community college in the early eighties, I had a student who was following the personal trials of the members of ABBA -- one of the women in particular, I think -- so closely that she worked herself into a kind of sympathetic nervous breakdown. She was trying to write an essay on them for me and it just kept getting longer and longer; she couldn't finish; she couldn't get herself out of it. She was a sweet and a bright person; I didn't know how to help very effectively, although I gave her all the time she wanted. And then she just vanished from class.   :(

peppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
I could tell roommate stories, oh boy, could I tell roommate stories.

Backon subject though, I'm having leftover lentil soup, which tastes much better now than it did last night.   Must remember to make a huge batch and freeze it soon.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
I made something similar a couple of days ago, Mejadra (there are many transliterations from the Arabic): http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Mejadra

It is simple and cheap, but for some odd reason good, especially as a leftover.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:32:46 PM »
Yum!  A new spice combo,baharat.  I love that dish, lagatta.  I often order it at schwarma places.  Now I know how to cook it!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »
Baharat looks like a Gulf relative of garam masala, a staple of Indian cuisine.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
I didn't have any baharat (will check at the Jean-Talon market, and if not, at Adonis): I used cumin, cardamom, coriander and a bit of sumac (which is tart), also a squeeze of lemon. That is how my friend from Lebanon who taught me this dish did it. As you can see, as long as you have the spices on hand, it is dirt cheap, and could be cooked in a siege. Strangely good.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Merci for that baharat variation, lagatta.  I do have a lot of sumac handy and I'll cook up some Mejadra today.  What a lovely vegan, gluten-free dish!

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »
My spidey sense went off with the word vegan...

I am in essay mode so I am not cooking.  I just had fast-food pad thai and now I'm drinking white tea.  There are lots of 'Amy's' burritos and perogies in the freezer, and cut up veggies and hummus in the fridge.  And baked tamari almonds!  I love those things.

I also bought a soy version of egg nog, which my sister (who is definitely not vegan or vegetarian) claims is better than the real stuff.  It is definitely lighter and they got the spicing right.

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
I'm not eating/cooking anything until I get the image of what I just posted out of my head.

Return To TAT