Author Topic: But now old friends are acting strange  (Read 6508 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
But now old friends are acting strange
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:44 AM »
Tears and fears and feeling proud,
To say I love you right out loud.
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds,
I've looked at life that way.

But now old friends are acting strange.
They shake their heads; they say I've changed.
Well something's lost but something's gained,
In living every day.

:bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny

It seems to me the time of year (or maybe it's the time of man) is getting to everyone. As in all families familiarity sometimes breeds angst and anger.

Well this is the feeling good, pet the bunnies thread.

If you would like to say something nice to or about a fellow poster, about the the weather about life in general put it here.

Glurge whaddyamean glurge why I oughtta..... no no wait this is the feeling good thread....feeeeeelings whoa whoa whoa feeeeelings...NO feeling GOOD  :whis:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »
I love the way my mom gets so excited about starting the New Year - "fresh start", "new page" and all that.  She's like a kid holding a wrapped present, all excited about what might be inside. She starts every new year with a big bucket of joy.  I love that after all she's been through (and she's been through hell and back more than once) she can still look at the world with such hope and anticipation.  It's amazing.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »
OOOooo love the wee poem Debra, that appeals.

I want to say I love Australia. I've been on pins n needles for 3 days with teckies sorting out puter and phone. Phone is back now and won't stop ringing. I changed the tone and now I don't recognize it, it sounds like I'm in the Tower of a CEO's inner chambers, ha!

Kid has full time job in trendy beach area and found a place to live that is 8 minutes away (she timed it walking casually in case she misses any talent on the beach). I heard from her today/her tomorrow? I'm confused. Doesn't matter I LOVE AUSSIELAND for being so kind and good to my kid.

Did you know the most venomous/poisonous crawlie things, in and out of the sea, ALL live in Australia?  :panic

Teckie gyu was early 50's and he had golden blonde Samson hair, all glistening ringlets to shoulders. I made a joke about his hair being the reason he was so successful with the grils when he was younger. HE asked me to join him behind the fridge (where phone thingie was) and we discussed our misspent youth.

I love some gyus and continents today.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
RW sounds positively   :sweating:  

congrats on getting hooked up :groucho-marx:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

deBeauxOs

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
Quote from: ReWind.it
... Teckie gyu was early 50's and he had golden blonde Samson hair, all glistening ringlets to shoulders. I made a joke about his hair being the reason he was so successful with the grils when he was younger. HE asked me to join him behind the fridge (where phone thingie was) and we discussed our misspent youth. ...
 :groucho-marx: In detail, I hope.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »
Quote from: Debra
 congrats on getting hooked up :groucho-marx:

:lol:

Actually Bonsey, we found out we were both in some high school gym in Toronto, going way back, watching a very strange creature called Alice Cooper with a real PYTHON and how come we could smoke joints in the HS gym as well as in the back of a TTC streetcar. Things sure have changed.
And then we re-emerged, no charge, gonna say you have the Bell insurance.
 :lol:
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
w00t for ReWind, and her new techy (and continent, even if from afar) :applause:

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:22 PM »
What a great encounter Rewind and I'm so glad things are working out so well for your daughter.  :yay: Australia!  :yay: Techie guy!

Debra, those lyrics always make me cry. That Joni, she is such a poet.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: But now old friends are acting strange
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »
I first met my 'bud', Mike, about 6 years ago at work. He proudly announced he was a Libertarian - as I answered .. "Ooooookay, sure."

I am not sure of his views on abortion, but he did once point out that I should not have been allowed to be born, or at the very least strangled at birth. I am left handed and so am fucking up the gene pool.

This whole exchanged amused me to no end.

Mike got moved away to another plant but we kept in touch by email. Sometimes he gets carried away with his 'deeply held beliefs' and does something silly. He walked out of the public service and took a job at another plant. About three months later he was fired from the 'new' job.

Mike has a problem with his elbow - he keeps bending it with a bottle in his hand.

He had gone to the EAP with his problem and they took him off work and sent him off to a shrink - he has anger management troubles. After a stint in the Innus Road facility, stemming from his lack of rage control, he began to go to AA meetings at the Bronson Centre, just around the corner from me. We would meet after and discuss his career at the Public Service and have a coffee at the UNICAFE across the street.

I do not know how he came into it, but he got enough money to buy a car - he used it mostly to go off to see his children.

The car was stolen three days later.
He got a rental car from the insurance company.
His ex-wifie wracked that up, this weekend.
He had bough some pre-paid credit cards for his children.
When he went back to his room, they had been stolen.
He tried to email his kids to explain why he could not visit.
His computer crashed.

I suspect that in a previous life he had been Peter the Great and killed thousands, perhaps Attila the Hun or at least a serial killer - his karma is catching up with him.

Naturally, with the ever efficient payroll system, he has yet to receive any sick pay (now at the 10 month mark).
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »
I have some sad, bad news to announce, but not here.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
I have some sad, bad news to announce, but not here.

:hug

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
Uh-oh.  :hug
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I guess here's as good a place as any.

Last week the brother of friend of mine from the 1950s contacted me - his brother passed on a few years ago, and this other brother is trying to do some catching up of old friends and aquaintances. The friend in question - I haven't spoken to him since 1959, when we moved from Ottawa to Nepean. Hearing his death was sad, but I'm glad his brother looked me up, and we've had a great time reminiscing about the 50's.

Amazing to hear from the brother - after 51 years! - completly out of the blue. I'm going to Ottawa in June 2012 to meet up with him, and attend a few school reunions, and try to meet some BNR'ers that might be around.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »
Will anyone from BNR be in Ottawa a year from now (June 2012)? Croggy?  :confused

I expect to be in town for a week or so.

Return To TAT