Author Topic: But now old friends are acting strange  (Read 6509 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: But now old friends are acting strange
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »
Boom Boom, as someone who doesn't live very far at all from Ottawa (and there are very cheap and dependable rideshares) I have no idea on earth where I'll be or what I'll be doing a year from now (leaving aside the God Willing bits). But it is nice to know.

I have no relations whatsoever with schoolmates that far back, or pre-university schoolmates at all. Would be curious about a few fellow adolescent radicals, but it is not at all something I find compelling.

But it is always nice to get together. This might be a sign that you may not always want to live in such an isolated place? But of course if you do, that it fine too. I haven't been as far east as where you live, but I have been fairly far down on the Québec North Shore and there are magnificent landscapes.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:17 AM »
I've kept friendships going with former classmates from the period 1959 - 1964, as have my two older brothers - they go even further back. This contact from last week is from 1956 - 1959, the oldest contact I have had in a while. I've organised a reunion of our elementary school on my own - 24 out of 34 classmates turned up - in 1989, and we all got drunk  :p .

The year 2014 will be our biggest yet, though - that's the 50th anniversary of the opening of Merivale High, and my public school grade 8 class were among the first students there, and I know already some are planning for that particular reunion.

2012 will be a smaller scale thing - probably no large gatherings unless friends from BNR, Babble, or Facebook make it so. :party    I'm hoping I meet the red-haired girl of my dreams back then (1956 - 1959) - but, alas, I can't remember her last name! I feel like Charlie Brown ("Peanuts") in this instance.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:24:27 AM by Boom Boom »

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 02:32:16 AM »
The internet has changed a lot of things this way.  Since my friends from high school are all nerds, we had email before everyone else.  So I'm pretty regularly in touch with my high school social network!  And that was before facebook.  I expect to be in touch with them for a long time yet, because there's no reason not to.

Even those who've drifted far, or not really stayed in contact, are easily findable if desired, and listed so that we don't forget about them.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 04:04:35 AM »
When I was in Ottawa I pretty much used my car or bike to get around to everyone I knew in the city and Nepean. I never had a computer the entire time I lived in Ottawa (1949 - 1975).

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 09:57:07 AM »
That's very cool that your friend's brother contacted you, Boom Boom.

As for Ottawa this time next year, I have no idea if I'll be heading back to Ottawa. I usually go back for the civic long weekend for a memorial golf tournament but often we travel there more frequently to visit fathers-in-law.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT