Author Topic: Todays exercise and sports  (Read 12038 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Todays exercise and sports
« on: May 30, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »
Well I am going to walk to the corner store, about a half a mile, and pick up a 6/49 ticket. If I don't win the millions, I will be a good sport about it.

The only people I know who actually exercise are already gorgeous, why is that?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 11:24:15 AM »
Well, I think most health clubs are an unfriendly environment indeed for those who most need more exercise.

I ride my bicycle A LOT - combination of transport, hippie environmentalism and exercise (and I'll post urban cycling topics in life, out and about or the environment, not here, as bicycles are a means of transport, not a toy) but I must find something to do to keep fit in the wintertime.

I can't jog - bad ankles and I'd fear getting bad knees, as so many former joggers I know have done, except for the real gazelle types. Walk a lot even in the (yecch) winter, but it is not aerobic enough.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 11:27:59 AM »
I try and walk at least home from work. Somedays I walk both ways and it gets me about 6km a day which is great. During the winter I made an effort to hit the treadmill at least 3 times a week and I was mostly succesful. I play softball once a week now that's it's summer. It has made me realize I need to seriously work on my cardio - quitting smoking would be wise. :)

But I actually love doing pilates and yoga. I always feel amazing after. I have been doing pilates longer so I am still new at yoga and moving quite far away from my Yoga Studio and being broke has limited my abilty to go. But in the next couple weeks things are looking up and I can't wait to get back into it. Pilates does amazing things for your body. It may not get your cardio up but it sure tones you up and makes you strong. I miss how strong it made all my muscles.

That said, I am defintiely carrying an extra 20lbs I shouldn't be and I have been doing Weight Watchers reccently and I can see exactly how it got there and why it stays there. Hee! I love cheese, beer, nachos, steak, the list goes on. I suck at portion control. :)

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:34:23 AM »
Fun topic! No exercise for me today. Last night was a long bike ride. I live near a 15 mile bike path that connects a series of parks, so I like to take a ride and stop off at a park halfway through for some walking. Also it's a good time for talking if I go with the husband. :)

Scout, I have been doing some pilates too and I love it. I feel very strong in my back and my stomach, which is a nice new feeling.

Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
Well, I think most health clubs are an unfriendly environment indeed for those who most need more exercise.

Word! In the winter I spend way too much monthly on my gym membership but if I went to a cheapo gym I wouldn't actually go. The gym I go to has a capped membership and the higher fees seem to eliminate the meat market vibe. It brings in a mature crowd who aren't so competitive. I like that. And hey, when you pay an arm and a leg for a membership they have free good shampoo and conditioner and nice towels.

I can't jog - bad ankles and I'd fear getting bad knees, as so many former joggers I know have done, except for the real gazelle types. Walk a lot even in the (yecch) winter, but it is not aerobic enough.

Walking is actually pretty good aerobically as long as you are hauling ass, it's really good for weight loss and managment. You just have to do a lot of walking to see the results.[/quote]

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »
I'm thinking of signing up for baladi at my nearby community centre next time it is offered. (Cheap). Evidently that really works the stomach muscles.  And I know in my 'hood the participants will largely be Latina and Italian ladies of my age, with ample curves, so I won't feel like a hunk of shit among the gym bunnies.

Weight Watchers is a healthy diet (do they incorporate the glucemic index now? - I find that helps a lot if I really stick to it) but I sure as helll wouldn't get on a scales in front of other people; I can't stand public humiliation, and wouldn't even like public praise from people I don't know.

The Montignac diet, popular here, allows some wine and of course cheese, but yes, that pesky portion control. It doesn't allow beer due to the GI thing.

Edited to add: scout, this past winter was very mild and I was working at a client's office for much of it, about half-an-hour's walk each way, and it really helped, but I'm slow to lose weight in any event.  I definitly feel in good shape, despite the fact that I'm not getting any younger and am in perimenopause.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »
I've been doing yoga for almost 20 years. I feel great afterwards, but sometimes the motivation is lacking. My main form of transportation is shank's mare, so for the exercise part, sometimes I'll decide to go to a bank machine, or whatever the errand is, further away.

As for gyms, I'm not a joiner and have always been totally intimidated by them. A few times, friends have taken me as a guest to their clubs/gyms. Each time it's confirmed -- not my kind of place. But in the last couple of years, a Curves franchise opened very near me. (I know myself. If it's too much bother, I won't go.) Ads for this outfit show older, rounder women, and it is all women.

Plus, my 25-year-old pal told me her mother (gaaaah) belongs to Curves and loves it.

So, I keep saying to myself, I'll drop in and check out the fees and whatnot, and I keep not doing it.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »
Unfortunately, Curves is run by a "pro-life" fundie, so I wouldn't go there.

The Y (mca, wca) advertises "come as you are" but alas it is not always so cheap; moreover the closest Y to me is on the border of Outremont so there will be lots of sleek upper-class types. I taught languages at the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve branch, in a tough working-class east-end neighbourhood, and of course there, many participants were far heavier and in far poorer shape than I was, but that is too far for me to sign up and go there every day - a good 45 minutes on bicycle.
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 12:01:39 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Unfortunately, Curves is run by a "pro-life" fundie, so I wouldn't go there.

Wow, I did not know that. Well, then, nuts to them. :wink:

Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
Weight Watchers is a healthy diet (do they incorporate the glucemic index now? - I find that helps a lot if I really stick to it) but I sure as helll wouldn't get on a scales in front of other people; I can't stand public humiliation, and wouldn't even like public praise from people I don't know.

I do it online. So it's just me and my scale in the privacy of my bathroom. You input your meals online and it takes the guess work out of calculating the points. And you can see how your week or month is going. I really like it, I just need to stick to it better.

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 12:24:17 PM »
Wow, I did not know that. Well, then, nuts to them.

Yeah, I tried to get my mom to change gyms for ages, but it's only moving that has made her consider elsewhere.  Fair enough.  It was the first time she ever tried anything like that and I appreciate that she wouldn't feel comfortable at a trendy, mixed gym.

As for me, I was training three times/week for Beltane up until the end of April.  Lots of running around, acro, stretching, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, calf raises, etc.  Not to mention the hours and hours of djembe practice, which was definitely good for the upper body, and even cardio when we really got going.  

Since it ended I'm not feeling nearly so active.  We do a 'mental health club' every Sunday afternoon, which is great because it's all the same physical stuff we did to prepare for Beltane, but without the pressure.  There's more time to try out fun new acro moves, as well!  I'm still taking a djembe class once/week as well, but it isn't as much exercise now that we don't do push-ups for messing up.  We're also playing sitting down, instead of standing up, which makes a big difference.

I did an early morning gym session last week, which made me feel quite happy with myself.  Now that I'm working a desk job I don't get nearly as much walking/riding my bike exercise, and I was just feeling really out of it.  It'd be great if I could make myself do that more often, but it's really not in my budget and I'm really not that much of an early riser!  I do the odd bit of yoga on my bedroom floor, and very occasionally I take the bus to the arena and go skating, but I really want to get back into something more regular.

I think it's important to enjoy what you're doing.  I think it's a shame that so many people think of exercise as being a chore, or something not fun.  I wish gym class hadn't traumatized so many people in the first place, and I wish there were more (affordable) friendly sports teams and classes for adults who aren't already pros.

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
I haven't made it to a gym or swimming for a while.  The first trimester totally got me off my schedule - I was so dead tired.  Now I have more energy, but the campaigning has taken away my evenings.  So I'm sticking to the morning dog walk (from 30 min to 1.5 hours, depending on the day) and the occasional ride on my funky new bike.  I am hoping to get back to the pool (maybe not training) once I am off work in July.

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »
I take a kung fu class twice a week, and I try to train and run on the days in between.  I've been doing the kung fu for nearly two years, and recently entered the intermediate level.  I'm loving it.  There's a wide variety of ages in our class, from retirees to teenagers, and there are 5 of us that are 40-something women.  And we all wear uniforms, so no Lu-Lu Lemon envy is happening anywhere.   :wink:

I run outside in the summer, and in the winter I go to the fitness centre at the university.  It's a little further away than the city-owned fieldhouse, but as an alumni, it's cheaper for me and much, much nicer with windows most of the way around the track.  There are a lot of young things, but it doesn't really bother me.  There are also a lot of university staffers and the cardiac and physiotherapy centre clients as well.  The nice part, in the winter, is that there's a big, wide space at the back where I can practice my kung fu forms.  Sometimes the dining room isn't big enough.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 03:29:28 PM »
As for me, I was training three times/week for Beltane up until the end of April.  Lots of running around, acro, stretching, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, calf raises, etc.  Not to mention the hours and hours of djembe practice, which was definitely good for the upper body, and even cardio when we really got going.  

Shoalin, can you please tell me why you need to be in top notch shape for Beltane? I mean, what is it that you do, that makes it so physical? I know, I could google, but I'd rather hear it from someone who practices it.

What am I doing wrong with the quote thingy, I'm doing exactly the same thing as I did on EM.

ETA: Thanks Scout.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 04:05:28 PM »
Just take out this bit: ="shaolin" and all should be well.

Return To TAT