Author Topic: Todays exercise and sports  (Read 12039 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Todays exercise and sports
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »
What I've been doing with the buttons, which also didn't work for me at first, is just typing or copying whatever I wanted, then highlighting it, then clicking on the buttons. That works.

Except for the URLs: those I code. It's easier.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »
There was a time when I was quite exercised obsessed. Rowing for 2 hours 6 days a week, weightlifting or erging for half hour every evening. I managed to get quite lean & built up quite a bit of confidence from working out in the hypermasculine "bog" gym at SFU. But then I plateaued. And I got bored. And I gained some unhealthy weight that's never completely come off.

Being unemployed for so long, I couldn't afford gyms for quite awhile, unless I was in school. (Although, I found the hours at Edinburgh's gym somewhat inconvenient.) Now, my employer offers a gym in my office building for $10 per month. That, along with free parking for bikes in the secure parkade has helped me get back on track somewhat. I'm only doing a half hour on the treadmill and biking to work but I think I should do some strength training as well.

My other problem, of course, is that, like Scout, I suck at portion control. I also suck at compulsion control. Tracking my food intake at FitDay has helped a bit, although I periodically fall off that wagon, too.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
I was attending a gym for awhile. I loved it. Very low key, wasn't a Bally hardbody type atmosphere.

Ages ranged from 15 to 85, fantastic place. Good rates...then the senior partner decided to merge with the gym down the street.

Charged everyone 50odd dollars as a join up fee, even though many had just renewed for a year with the original home. Fees went from 30 dollars a month to over 50.

So now I just do a bit of a workout at home and of course with no car still do a lot of walking. I miss the gym....sigh.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »
Shoalin, can you please tell me why you need to be in top notch shape for Beltane? I mean, what is it that you do, that makes it so physical? I know, I could google, but I'd rather hear it from someone who practices it.

It isn't anything intrinsic to the Beltane ritual, but Beltane in Edinburgh is also a huge performance - 12,000 spectators, 300 performers and a £34,000 budget (mainly to pay the council's ridiculous fees, as well as insurance).  My character is chaotic, lustful, seductive, mischievious, full of energy - red.  So the performance requires lots of stamina and lots of strength.  Charging the procession, surprising the audience, and drumming standing up with a djembe for several hours...

chcmd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »
I have always maintained that I am "allergic" to exercise, but who would'a thunk it, I am now completely addicted to the gym (weights and bike).  I would NEVER have joined, except that my son was really wanting to work out and was too young to join by himself.  So I bought a membership with him and now I go more often than he does :o

It's a great gym, lots of different types of people there . . . not a meat market or anything.  Not that I give a flying f*** who sees me jiggle and sweat :lol:
Feel the fear and do it anyway

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »
My only pet peeve with the gym: people who drive to get there.  I know, I know, there are reasons for it.  But it's still my pet peeve!

chcmd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »
But it would take me forever to get there if I didn't drive, and my time is so precious there would be no way I could schedule it at all  :(
Feel the fear and do it anyway

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »
In my case, I only go to the gym when it's too cold to run outside...  Too far to walk, and I don't bike at -20.  

And I often have Ms B with me when I go to the training hall (she also takes kung fu), and it would be too long a walk for her, and biking would be through downtown at rush minute -- wobbly 8 yr old on a bike just then would be bad news.  Plus the time thing.

I understand my class will be training in the park for the summer, though, and I may wind up biking to and from.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
Important to remember that many, many people cannot run, and need facilities that help them get enough exercise. (I've worked doing oral histories at an Italian old folks' centre here and have seen all the ingenious ways they have devised to get people who may scarcely be able to walk to work all their available muscles - and memories. Gardening is a biggie.

How I wish there were FREE community sport centres in all neighbourhoods. There were a lot of evils in the old eastern European countries and I'm sure I would have wound up in reclusion there (Gulag lite) but people I know from places like Czechoslovakia and Hungary really miss that.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Nikita

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
I'm really sorry to learn that about Curves.  I was thinking of going there because of the all-woman atmosphere, but I will not support that kind of organization.  *sigh*

This morning I had a long conversation about yoga with my boss and she has completely inspired me to try it.  I would like to be more bendy.   :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 08:47:04 PM »
In the community centre where my tenants' association is located, there is a group of elderly Vietnamese people who do shiatsu-type exercises. It is wonderful to see them - they are so supple.

There really should be more such groups and fitness classes in available centres, free of charge or at a symbolic fee (so people will show up). I agree with prevention, but it should be positive, not mean-spirited as it so often is.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Alix

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 09:13:43 AM »
I'm going back to a yoga studio this summer. I took classes there in the winter, but didn't have the money for the spring session (a trip to Atlanta to present at a conference kind of took up all of my money).

But they're offering an unlimited summer pass for quite cheap, which means that once I get my Master's work done (which, crossed fingers, should be mid-July), I can go several times a week. Or even while I'm still working on my final cognate essay. I may need extra yoga then to relax!
"If permanence were possible, why would the seasons change?"
- Naguib Mahfouz

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Todays exercise and sports
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »
Tomorrow a.m. after I've eaten my, hmm, 100th fresh toasted tomato sammich on sesame seed rye I'm going to walk to the park to watch 10 women and 25 men climb trees. Or I may cycle, I'm not sure yet.

21st ANNUAL TREE CLIMBING CHAMPIONSHIP

:geezera:  :groucho-marx:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Todays exercise and sports
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
Holy Crap you gotta be strong, organized, efficient with energy, mind/body muscle. The weight of the equipment alone on your belt is extraordinary. And I wanted to be one of them.  :oops:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT