Author Topic: Great speeches of the 20th century  (Read 2956 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Great speeches of the 20th century
« on: April 21, 2007, 04:46:32 PM »
The Grauniad is starting a series about what it considers the 14 best speeches of last century.  The first is Churchill's "We shall fight on the beaches"

Here are the comments about the speeches listed and about what has been left out.  It tends to have more British references; but someone posted Tommy Douglas' Mouseland speech partway down.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Great speeches of the 20th century
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:01:33 AM »
The most interesting thing about the project is the way it sparks so many people to come up with suggestions from all over the place, all kinds of backgrounds -- although all speeches in English, if not only from Anglo-Americans.

The Guardian's basic list is pretty predictable, although ... Earl Spencer? I mean, give me a break.  :roll:  I agree with some of the commenters that even if the list were strictly British, you simply could not leave out some of the great speakers to Irish independence.

Some of the Nobel acceptance speeches have been great -- Faulkner's is famous among literary people, and I remember being so impressed by Jimmy Carter's a few years ago.

Return To TAT