Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 44175 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »
That murder case involving Claudine Longet - I never actually followed it so I was completely unaware of the specifics of it. I remember Claudine Longet as a really gorgeous person, but then disappeared from view. Now I know why.  :o

greenvie

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
N'Gou Bagayoko from the 2002 album Kulu (Ancestors).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJbna8nwOqk

His wife, the famous Mailian singer, Nahawa Doumbia.  Fabulous video with typical dance from the village of Wassoulou , in Mali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEWd01Oe3WI&feature=related

I have a friend from Cuba (now lives in Finland) who turned me on to the wide spectrum of traditional music from Cuba & Africa. He sometimes sends me private downloads from his extensive (bought) collection via email.  :piratedance   I could never afford to buy these albums. My antique iPod is full of only Cuban/African music (and a little jazz), used to make walks, shopping & busrides in the insanity of the urban landscape bearable. I bought my iPod about 7 years ago when I had a small windfall. I take really good care of it because I couldn't afford one now. Well, maybe a smaller one.  This one now has almost 2000 songs on it and it's only 1/4 full. 

Pablo's take on the album Kulu:

The Wassoulou sound from Mali is available on several Stern's releases but the ones I've heard are marred with synthesisers, programming or electric instruments. In that regard this album by label Frikiywa is a welcome exception. However, producer Galliano felt necessary to add some annoying sound effects. Luckily they are restrained, but still I have to wonder what kind of rationale was used to add echo chamber like sounds to Nahawa's vocals and her daughter's. Creativity or just plain foolish colonialism? You pick. In any case, don't let any criticism put you away, this is an excellent album. Enjoy!

Proponents of the theory that American blues has roots in Mali will find compelling evidence here. This is without question the finest of the Frikyiwa releases

Nahawa Doumbia at Festival Daoulaba 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6JtNtXovAs&feature=relmfu

My fave music is really punk and heavy metal, but it hardly makes for stress-free city walks.  :rockon

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
I'd love some of those, greenvie. Unfortunately I can't watch youtubes on my clunker, but will go somewhere I can (the Outremont Library) when I have time. Really looking forward to that.

You can see the bluesline even in more mainstream pop Amadou and Mariam when they let loose and sing in their own language. Even though I don't understand it, obviously far more complex than their French second-or-third-language lyrics.

I facilitate at schools involving activists from all continents, and there are evening parties when people sing and do music from their countries. Not Malian or Senegalese, but there was a fellow from the Congo (the so-called "Belgian" side) who sang the saddest blues I had ever heard. As you know, there has been a huge, protracted, "African world war" throughout the Great Lakes, in the two Congos as well as Rwanda and Burundi. This fellow, who is a farmer and peasant-movement activist, sang of people dying by the edge of the road, alone, exhausted, like stray dogs. It was horribly sad and poignant - and Gord did he have a blues voice.

Heavy metal really isn't my thing, and as for punk, it depends on which sort of punk.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

greenvie

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
You're lucky to be able to attend those activist parties, lagatta. Live music is so much better than Youtube. You might give the first one a try, btw. It's audio only & one of the best songs on the album. Lots of links on the same pages to similar u-toob vids.

Yes, many African musicians, when they become popular, experiment with Western styles & technology, which can affect their traditional sound. Tinariwen, that merry band of Tuareg desert musicians were described by Pablo like this

Terrorist blues for your anarchist cravings from the best band on planet Earth.

They've gone global big time and were on The Colbert Report recently with some American musician. I hardly recognized their music it was that softened for the American ear!  Hard to get that balance. I'm so happy when they are able to make a living with their talents. Shame to see when they change so much to appease the West. I often wonder how that process works.  I have hope their next album with get back to basics. They have a good number of albums in the old style though.

A little less well known is the group Staff Bendi Bilili. Most members are disabled victims of the polio virus, and were once homeless, living around the area near Kinshasa zoo. They make incredibly joyous and complex music. Worth a Youtube search when you can.

If any of you use torrents to download, this is Pablo's page at kickass.  http://kat.ph/user/pastafari/ If you look under the tab "uploads", he leaves very nice descriptions of the artists, with photos, etc., even if you don't download them. I don't download via torrents any mainstream "corporate" music, but because I know that Pablo supports these artists by buying CDs and going to performances, I feel a bit better about it.

Hmm, punk -   Sex Pistols, Ramones, Dead Kennedys to name a few. Some female punks - Nina Hagen is great. Bikini Kill, Poly Styrene and of course Patti Smith.

Metal - I like some Korn and Nine Inch Nails now and then. It can be very invigorating to feel the blast of their art after watching and reading the inane drivel that comes out of the brains of the 1 % day after day. Korn does some interesting stuff about the fallout of child abuse, and NIN does battle with corporate labels. With a song like Happiness Is Slavery, ya gotta think Trent Reznor is onto something. I'll never forget Rage Against the Machine as the backdrop to the Seattle protests. Though they're more punk, hip hop and thrash, they take inspiration from early metal. My anti-autoritarian self likes this:

Following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, all songs by the band were placed on the list of post-9/11 inappropriate titles distributed by Clear Channel.

Jeesh, censorship much?  8)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
This morning - as I do almost every Saturday - I was listening to Folk Roots on Galaxie (satellite TV). It's always great, but this morning especially - Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson, Ian Tyson, Dave Bradstreet, and many more. I really don't have the desire to buy any more music so long as can listen to pure music channels through my TV to the stereo. But I do wish they'd play more Kate and Anna. Galaxie has a channel for probably every music taste, and it's 24/7.

ETA: Folk Roots is playing a lot of great music by performers I have never heard of: Dale Boyle; Corin Raymond & The Sundowners; 100 Mile House; Grant Peepers; Compadres; The Steeldivers; Paul Kelly; Susan Werner; grainne; Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem; Laura Repo. Susan Werner is fantastic!

ETA: I don't really want to buy any more albums, but I heard this today (on Galaxy) and it's so good I think I will order it: Looking for Sunshine   Artist: Grainne  I think it's the best new album I've heard this year, but I have an ecletic taste in folk music.  8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:46:58 PM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
  An agnostic Gospel album! Laughing

Very likely the world's first agnostic gospel album, this disc taps fearlessly into the zeitgeist of contemporary American religious culture. The songs are heartfelt and incisive, biting yet optimistic, drawing from Werner's own personal spiritual questions to engage and seek common ground with the Christian community at large. Blues, gospel, country and bluegrass all come together on this album, anchored by Susan's vocals and her politically conscious songwriting. Highlights include "Sunday Mornings," "Lost My Religion" and "(Why is Your) Heaven So Small." Highly recommended.

(so popular it is out of stock)

Return To TAT