Author Topic: Neocon seeking run for president of Afghanistan  (Read 2201 times)

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Neocon seeking run for president of Afghanistan
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »
Ugh. Zalmay Khalilzad is rumoured to be considering a run for Karzai's spot, come 2009. I first saw this rumour in Al Kamen's blog, but here it is again, in Newsweek:
It wasn't long ago that Afghan president Hamid Karzai was seen as a dependable U.S. ally on par with Pakistani leader Pervez Musharraf. But as Afghanistan has fallen into violent chaos—along with Pakistan—tensions have erupted between Karzai and the United States and Britain. One of the most worried U.S. officials is Zalmay Khalilzad, the Afghan-born ambassador to the United Nations, who is seriously considering running for Karzai's seat himself when the next elections are held in 2009, according to several U.N. and U.S. government officials.

[...]

Khalilzad has not directly denied that he is considering a run. His spokeswoman, Carolyn Vadino, told NEWSWEEK that "he intends to serve out his post as long as [President Bush] wants him in office. And then after that, he hopes to find a job here in the private sector in the U.S." But a senior Bush administration official who knows Khalilzad (and who asked for anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss Khalilzad's plans) said the U.N. ambassador was actively exploring a run.

Some background on Khalizad here (particularly 2nd half, his time at UChicago w/Wolfowitz, RAND, Reagan, etc), in case all these neocons have started to blur-together.  I know I often get their histories mixed up.

Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:55:08 AM »
:rant:

Haven't the neocons seen this movie? We all know how this story ends. It isn't good for anyone. They're setting the stage for a unanimous rejection of coalition forces by the Afghan people; removing even the semblance of independence will bring to a swift end what tolerance for our prescence is currently offered.

How does that help them? Don't they want this to work at all?
Everybody forgives everybody for everything.
- Nate Fisher

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:39:57 AM »
No kidding, eh?  

Just after I posted the Newsweek link, I listened to an interview with one of its authors, Michael Hirsh.  He said that RAND corp (where Zal used to work) has been doing some polling and...

*drumroll*

...Khalilzad's name isn't polling very well in Afghanistan.

:cluebat:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 06:39:07 AM »
:rant2:

The Mafia are small potatoes compared to this crew. The world really is being run by a syndicate now -- I'm not sure I can think of a creepier time in Western history since first-century Rome.

In answer to your question, Coyote -- don't they want it to work? -- I don't think they care about fixing things in our terms. Chaos is useful to the Cheneyites and the neocons -- they make money from it, and the neocons get some perverse kind of moral affirmation from it, although don't ask me to explain that psychology.

I doubt that Cheney has ever cared about moral affirmation, o' course. I didn't use to believe in evil -- ie, that there was such a thing, that it made sense to talk about such a thing. I do now.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »
Slightly o/t, and I never know whether to believe these reports, but the Guardian is reporting that al-Libi has been killed:

One of al-Qaida's top leaders in Afghanistan has been killed, western intelligence officials said today.

Ekhlaas.org, a website that often posts communiqués from Afghanistan and Iraq, reported that Abu Laith al-Libi - his name suggests he is a Libyan national - had fallen as a "martyr", without giving further details.

Libi is said to have been behind last February's bombing at the US base at Bagram during a visit by the US vice-president, Dick Cheney, which killed 23 people.

"It appears at this point that Libi has met his demise," said one western official. "It was a major success in taking one of the top terrorists in the world off the street."

He added that the death occurred "within the last few days".

Libi joined the Afghan mujahedin in the 1980s to fight Soviet occupation and tried to overthrow the Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gadafy in the early 1990s.

When the plot failed he fled to Saudi Arabia. He was arrested in the aftermath of the 1996 Khobar Towers bombings, which killed 19 US military personnel and spent time in prison in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, but somehow escaped or was released.

Libi eventually returned to Afghanistan where he became a key link between the Taliban and al-Qaida.

He was among America's 12 "most-wanted" terrorists in Afghanistan and a $200,000 reward was being offered for his capture.

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:54 PM »
This story sounds very familiar...
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

Return To TAT