Author Topic: What's Wrong with GMOs?  (Read 3786 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What's Wrong with GMOs?
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »
Another informative presentation from the Pinky Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOMqwPxUx54
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
What's Wrong with GMOs?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »
I love listening to Pinky. That quiet, slow, deliberate little voice is so affecting -- I must try to remember that the next time I get overexcited in discussion. It is true that sometimes, if you slow down, people will listen more closely. It takes such control, though.

Great show, Debra, as always -- great for both kids and adults.   :applause:

Toedancer

• View Profile
What's Wrong with GMOs?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »
In my e-mail

In our name, the Harper government is telling people in Europe that they do not have the right to refuse genetically modified (GM) foods.
Canada has threatened the EU with WTO trade sanctions, if it does not cave in by February 11, 2008 and approve GM products, even though EU citizens do not want this (see article below).

Meanwhile, 33 Irish and British politicians “ including the former UK Environment Minister Michael Meacher MP...have denounced the activities of a Canadian Government agent, who has attempted to sabotage Ireland’s policy to keep the island of Ireland free of genetically modified crops”.

“This covert interference by the Government of Canada is an affront to Irish and UK sovereignty and to the Precautionary Principle which is a cornerstone of EU policy on GM food and farming,” says Kathy Sinnott, Member of the European Parliament. “I am calling on the European Parliament to investigate this scandal, as we have done regarding the CIA’s violation of European airspace for illegal torture flights. We need a full investigation into the extent of covert influence by foreign governments and corporations on the GM policies and decisions of the Commission, EU member states, and their regulatory bodies.” See "CANADA DIRTY TRICKS EXPOSED IN WTO DISPUTE ON GMOs".

And if you haven't already done so, please send a letter to Prime Minister Harper, asking that he support a ban on Terminator technology, which causes seeds to become sterile after one harvest.

http://thetyee.ca/Views/2008/01/28/FoodFight/

If you want to know how bad gmo foods are, just google 'cows won't eat it', that was out in '99 and nothing has changed. Apparently even the worms in the feed won't even eat it.

This issue is something that should frighten every canadian, and every single party should put out a statement!

Right On's letter to PM, I've sent many times, but will continue to send.

LettertoPM

Here is the list of foods manufacturers, which is growing longer by the year.

http://gmoguide.greenpeace.ca/redlist.php
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
What's Wrong with GMOs?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
Long, long ago crogh remembers taking a couse in philosophy and reading about Socratic dialogues.

Don't they involved setting up an interchange between two participants, one (Socrates in this case) the instructor, and the other a questioning neophyte. (If memory serves this participant can be described as a 'dumbfuck' and syncophant) in a Q&Q session?

The innocent Pinky made me recall this. I am not sure if using a completely ignorant respondent would work in such a complicated and sophicated subject as GMOs - but the technique is still there and wonderously well used.  :applause:  

An effective pedagogical technique.  :D  Worked for Socrates.  :whis:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: What's Wrong with GMOs?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
Potential Health Hazards of Genetically Engineered Foods

The harm done to the test animals is listed in that global research article.

Now we have to contend with cloned cow meat and milk, no labelling.

FDA approves cloned meat, milk

On the whole I would think cloned milk/meat would be safe, so then if they are so safe why not label them so people have a choice? Anyway I don't see this is as harmful as GM foods, just thought I'd place it here for interest sake.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:09:21 AM »

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
Not sure if there is a more recent thread for this:

A private member's bill on GMOs was struck down.  Liberals too busy meeting with Monsanto, etc., to vote on it:

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Food-Farming/2011/02/09/GMOBill/
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
ConAgra Sued Over GMO '100% Natural' Cooking Oils   

excerpt:   

Supermarkets Chock-full of GMOs

But what makes this lawsuit especially intriguing is its potentially far-ranging impact. According to the Center for Food Safety: "upwards of 70 percent of processed foods on supermarket shelves -- from soda to soup, crackers to condiments -- contain genetically-engineered ingredients." While it's unclear how many of these products also claim to be natural, given all the greenwashing going on these days, it's likely to number in the thousands. 

Specifically, up to 85 percent of U.S. corn is genetically engineered as are 91 percent of soybeans, both extremely common ingredients in processed foods. Numerous groups including the Center for Food Safety have been calling attention to the potential hazards of GMOs for years. From their website:

A number of studies over the past decade have revealed that genetically engineered foods can pose serious risks to humans, domesticated animals, wildlife and the environment. Human health effects can include higher risks of toxicity, allergenicity, antibiotic resistance, immune-suppression and cancer.   

Not exactly the stuff that green hearts are made of. The legal complaint also notes that on its corporate website ("but not on the Wesson site that consumers are more likely to visit"), ConAgra implies that its oils are genetically engineered. The company concludes: "Ultimately, consumers will decide what is acceptable in the marketplace based on the best science and public information available." 

But by being told the oils are "100% natural," consumers can no longer make an informed decision as they are being misled. 

Which reminds me of a great quote from Fast Food Nation author Eric Schlosser: "If they have to put the word 'natural' on a box to convince you, it probably isn't."   :applause

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:05:50 AM by Boom Boom »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
It's like when they were labelling everything "fat-free" when it always had been. eg. salsa
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
I bet you ConAgra, Monsanto and AMD are just biting at the bit to see the Wheat Board destroyed so they can introduce GMO wheat and barley. :mad2
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
I bet you ConAgra, Monsanto and AMD are just biting at the bit to see the Wheat Board destroyed so they can introduce GMO wheat and barley. :mad2

I suspect that's what's really behind disbanding the CWB.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
More on Monsanto: a petition:  Minister Ritz, Stop GM Alfalfa

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
Signed and shared.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
 Just got this in my Inbox:

Ben & Jerry's just agreed to remove all genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) from its list of ingredients as soon as possible. This is a huge shift from previous corporate opposition to GMOs labeling -- now Ben & Jerry's is fighting for GMO labeling, a huge blow to Monsanto's GMO-pushing lobbyists.  :applause

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »
Got similar news from the SumOfUs. org, Boom Boom.  :applause Signed their thank you card.

Return To TAT