Author Topic: The Plame Thread  (Read 236527 times)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
The Plame Thread
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »
We don't seem to have a Plame thread and I think that ought to be remedied. Especially since

Syndicated columnist Robert Novak acknowledged for the first time today that he identified three confidential administration sources during testimony in the CIA leak investigation, saying he did so because they had granted him legal waivers to testify and because special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald already knew of their role.

In a column to be published on Thursday, Novak said he told Fitzgerald in early 2004 that White House senior adviser Karl Rove and then-CIA spokesman Bill Harlow had confirmed for him, at his request, information about CIA operative Valerie Plame. Novak said he also told Fitzgerald about another senior administration official who originally provided him with the information about Plame, and whose identity he says he cannot reveal even now.

"I'm still constrained as a reporter," Novak said in an interview. "It was not on the record, and he has never revealed himself as being the source, and until he does I don't feel I should."

It's long been speculated that Novak revealed his sources to the grand jury because he wasn't jailed along with Little Miss Run Amok (aka Judith Miller). Now we know.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The Plame Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:41:52 AM »
"The primary source was not a political operative," he said, and he mentioned Plame's role in the middle of a conversation about other subjects. "I don't believe it was part of a plan to discredit anybody."

Well, that doesn't really square with this, does it?

Syndicated columnist Robert D. Novak acknowledged for the first time yesterday that he identified three confidential administration sources during testimony in the CIA leak investigation

An administration source is not a political operative?

Oh, I forgot. Dick Cheney is above all these petty squabbles ...

Would it be premature to use this smiley, pogge?    :popcorn

pogge

• View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Would it be premature to use this smiley, pogge?    :popcorn

Probably. I don't think we're going to see any serious action on this now until Libby's trial. I'd love to be proved wrong.

koan brothers

• View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »
Seems to me that if Scooter can manage to drag this out for a couple of years he'll get an end of term pardon from The Decider.

Hell, based on Bush's belief that he's above the law the pardon could come sooner than that.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 12:34:56 PM »
Here is Novak's now-public-for-now version of his involvement.

Sorry to send you to a link like that. Sorry to send you to Novak. Don't say you weren't warned.

pogge

• View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »
From skdadl's link:

I considered his wife's role in initiating Wilson's mission, later confirmed by the Senate Intelligence Committee, to be a previously undisclosed part of an important news story.

Go read The Washington Note for a statement being circulated by Joe Wilson.

(I'd quote from the post but you don't seem to be able to highlight text at Clemons' revamped blog. Odd, that.)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
Gee, pogge. I had no trouble highlighting and copying and pasting at all from that link.

How'd ya like to come and take a techie seminar from me some day? :wink:

Joe Wilson has just sent TWN and other journalists interested in the Fitzgerald investigation of the White House outing of Valerie Plame Wilson's covert CIA role a statement regarding Robert Novak's effort to "justify the unjustifiable":

_________

Robert Novak, some other commentators and the Administration continue to try to completely distort the role that Valerie Wilson played with respect to Ambassador Wilson's trip to Niger.

The facts are beyond dispute. The Office of the Vice President requested that the CIA investigate reports of alleged uranium purchases by Iraq from Niger. The CIA setup a meeting to respond to the Vice President's inquiry. Another CIA official, not Valerie Wilson, suggested to Valerie Wilson's supervisor that the Ambassador attend that meeting.

That other CIA official made the recommendation because that official was familiar with the Ambassador's vast experience in Niger and knew of a previous trip to Africa concerning uranium matters that had been undertaken by the Ambassador on behalf of the CIA in 1999.

Valerie Wilson's supervisor subsequently asked her to relay a request from him to the Ambassador that he would like the Ambassador to attend the meeting at the CIA. Valerie Wilson did not participate in the meeting.

These are the facts -- not just because Joe Wilson has stated them but as they are represented elsewhere in the public record -- and shame on those who continue to insist on blurring the picture for political advantage.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:19:53 PM »
PS: I put in the li'l lines there, just to mark Wilson's statement off from Clemons'.

pogge

• View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Gee, pogge. I had no trouble highlighting and copying and pasting at all from that link.

That's the second time today that I've had trouble at a website and then gone back later and found things working perfectly. Have I mentioned lately that I hate computers?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
Well, pogge, as I said: I'd be happy to give you lessons any time.  

Yee hee hee hee.   :lol:

Toedancer

• View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »
I've been waiting for this. Valerie Plame has had her lawyers file the papers. She is suing Cheney and Players. No link yet.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:53:50 PM »
Oh, yippee.  More   :popcorn

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
The Plame Thread
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
I've been waiting for this. Valerie Plame has had her lawyers file the papers. She is suing Cheney and Players. No link yet.

Linky
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »
Thanks D.

This is going to be spun by the MSM as personal/political, setting it all up to have no traction. Most have immunity anyway, so it will be a far reach.

dift

But man0man, everything seems to be coming to a head. The Shrub sounds more and more like the idiot he is, during these trying times in the Middle East. I don't believe much more containment can be achieved. Rats fleeing the sinking ship come to mind.  The broader issue as well is the U.S. is not being taken seriously anymore. Iran is flexing it's muscle.

I suppose this will be called a transition as well, they won't use the phrase out-of-control.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Plame Thread
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 04:13:25 PM »
One thing I don't understand in all this.

Why has Fitzgerald let Rove go? Why?

Return To TAT