Author Topic: Sex Scandals and the Church, Any Church  (Read 6604 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Re: Sex Scandals and the Church, Any Church
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »
Well, this is no surprise.

David Clohessy, national director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests _ which has largely focused on the Catholic sexual abuse scandal but also speaks out on cases involving Protestant clergy _ said the new disclosures about Haggard are more disturbing because they involves a church volunteer.

"Technically, legally, they were both adults," Clohessy said. "Psychologically and emotionally, Haggard was dramatically more powerful. ... By definition, any sexual contact between a congregant and minister is inherently abusive and manipulative."

But this part is a surprise, coming from a guy such as Haggard:

In an AP interview this month before an appearance in front of TV critics in California, Haggard described his sexuality as complex and something that can't be put into "stereotypical boxes."
I guess he's special then.  :? Everybody else fits into boxes.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
Sexual suicide/Sexual insanity

Re this article, what shocked me was the ads asking for sex by landlords rather than rent.  :shock:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »
What shocks me is the lesbisn couple suing for having 2. Its a normal risk (they usually implant 2-3 fertilized eggs via IVF so that at least 1 stays viable and grows) that is laid out when you get IVF. They could have demanded only 1 implantation in fact.

I wouldnt have given them a cent, typical yuppie whingers.
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
Well this is a surprise. I mean the bravery of the Jewish protesters (and the sexually abused)  in NY. It is a big no-no to discuss such things 'outside', let alone the media.

New York's Ultra-Orthodox community torn apart by sex abuse scandal

One of the protesters, Mark Appel, yelled at Lefkowitz in his car: "Your children are being molested, and you know that [officials from Agudath] are not doing anything about it."

"Why are you so angry?" Lefkowitz asked.

"What is Agudah doing to my molester?" asked Joe DiAngelo, who says he was raped as a child in a Brooklyn mikveh.

In his defense, Lefkowitz replied that he booted out a principal who was molesting boys at his son's school.

"What happened to him? Why wasn't he arrested?" asked Levi Goldberg, a soft-spoken young man wearing a traditional black suit, hat and peyes.

"I do not know," Lefkowitz said. He called the protest "a desecration of a Godly institution."

The protesters' ire was aimed at Agudah's opposition to a bill now before the state Legislature that would extend the statute of limitations for civil and criminal claims of child sexual abuse and create a one-time, one-year "window" during which victims of crimes committed beyond the statute of limitations could file civil claims against their alleged abusers and the institutions that harbored them.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
In a development that is a surprise to nobody: Vatican hit by gay sex scandal.

Angelo Balducci, a Gentleman of His Holiness, was caught by police on a wiretap allegedly negotiating with Thomas Chinedu Ehiem, a 29-year-old Vatican chorister, over the specific physical details of men he wanted brought to him. Transcripts in the possession of the Guardian suggest that numerous men may have been procured for Balducci, at least one of whom was studying for the priesthood.

The picture under the headline is pure gold.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »
Quote from: arborman
In a development that is a surprise to nobody: Vatican hit by gay sex scandal.

Angelo Balducci, a Gentleman of His Holiness, was caught by police on a wiretap allegedly negotiating with Thomas Chinedu Ehiem, a 29-year-old Vatican chorister, over the specific physical details of men he wanted brought to him. Transcripts in the possession of the Guardian suggest that numerous men may have been procured for Balducci, at least one of whom was studying for the priesthood.

The picture under the headline is pure gold.

At the Vatican and in Germany too: Munich -
Ten priests at a Catholic Church boarding school in the Alps have been accused of sadistic beatings or making advances on boys, a lawyer appointed to check sex abuse down the decades at the school said Friday.

Here is an interesting tid bit:
Even a boarding school which was once headed by Georg Ratzinger, brother of Pope Benedict XVI, has confirmed that two of its senior teachers were jailed, in 1958 and 1971, for paedophile sex.

Methinks the One, True, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is courting with label of a criminal organization.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 03:01:17 AM »
Have I mentioned the perfection of the picture in the Guardian article?  Have I?  An editor had fun picking that one for that headline.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Return To TAT