Author Topic: Memorials  (Read 249935 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:40:06 PM »
New thread don't have a merge feature.

Repost other announcements here.

sorry for the inconvenience.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:46:38 PM »
John Snow Sr., Intebeja Mani, Walking Seal. Long-time Chief of the Wesley / Goodstoney Band of the Stoney Nakoda First Nation; born January 31, 1933, passed away June 15, 2006.

The funeral was on June 19 in the Goodstoney Rodeo Centre; it lasted some four hours and maybe 800 to 1000 attended. The speakers included Ovide Mercredi and other chiefs and friends and family.

He was a soft-spoken man and a leader; he was much involved in making land claims for his people, some of which have been settled satisfactorily; he helped write Citizens Plus, the Alberta First Nations' response to Trudeau's 1969 White Paper; and he worked to have aboriginal rights included in the Constitution. He was an ordained United Church minister, but was considered too political by the church administration to have a part in it.

He wrote These Mountains Are Our Sacred Places, well worth reading. It is now back in print, but in trade book size which lacks the photos that the original edition had.

(Original post made in June)
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
One of major literary figures in the Urdu language, Ahmad Nadeem Qasimi, has died in Lahore at the age of 89

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5166788.stm

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Memorials
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:24:12 PM »
Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd

Syd Barrett's musical career lasted barely seven years - from 1965 to early '72 - and the past 32 years saw him resolutely refusing to record new music or venture near a concert stage. But Barrett, who died of cancer last Friday at the age of 60, will go down in history as one of the most uniquely inspired creative talents to have sprung up from the pop revolution that gripped Britain in the late 20th century. More specifically, he was the golden boy of the mind-melting late-60s psychedelic era, its brightest star and ultimately its most tragic victim.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 01:37:06 PM »
RIP Syd. His musical mates won't be at his funeral, lord but that is sad.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:53:55 PM »
One of the founding members of soul group The Commodores, Milan B Williams, has died of cancer aged 58.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5169798.stm

suzette

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 08:08:18 PM »
Here are the BBC stories on Syd Barrett that I linked to in the other thread:

Story

Obituary

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:00:28 PM »
Red Buttons, 87, a burlesque-trained comedian who became an early television star and won an Academy Award for his dramatic portrayal of a star-crossed lover in "Sayonara," died July 13 at his home in Los Angeles. He had vascular disease.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 09:50:27 PM »
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Mickey Spillane, the macho mystery writer who wowed millions of readers with the shoot-'em-up sex and violence of gumshoe Mike Hammer, died Tuesday. He was 88.

more

Gigi

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 11:45:12 PM »
(Is it mean of me to say that at a glance, I thought you were announcing Charlton Heston's death, and then was disappointed to read it properly?)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Memorials
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:52:33 PM »
Gosh, I was saddened to hear Red Skeleton had passed on. I'm sure he lived a long life but he was a comic hero and then some in my household. Can't verify if it's true, but my mom worshipped him because he had done so much to try to get medical health for his sick child. She so latched on to his courage in dealing with such tragedy that he became one of those icons whose integrity was not to be questioned in our home.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 11:55:21 PM »
Quote from: Gigi
(Is it mean of me to say that at a glance, I thought you were announcing Charlton Heston's death, and then was disappointed to read it properly?)

Hey ....

don't f*** with Chuck!

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Memorials
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 06:35:57 AM »
Bloor Super Save, corner of Bloor Street and Walmer Road in midtown Toronto.    :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Some people here will remember. Super Save (aka Stupid Save, aka Steal and Save) was a 24-hr medium-sized grocery store just west of Spadina, at one end of a very lively stretch of Bloor running along the south side of the West Annex, home also to Dooney's, Book City, the Inca shop, Knob Hill Cleaners, and other famous local monuments.

They were bigger than a mum-and-pop store but only about halfway to being a supermarket. Until only a few years ago they were ruled over most gently by Eric, now retired, and Randy and Maria and Cleo, lovely people who got to know their regulars and often went many extra miles to help them.

I remember both Eric and Randy walking emergency groceries up to us in snowstorms when we were housebound. I remember the kind phone call from Maria one day, inviting me to call in Thorfinn's shopping list ahead of time so that she could have it ready for him. I remember Eric promising that he would watch for Thorfinn and chat with him, then ask to see what skdadl had on the list today, and walk Thorfinn through the aisles he didn't always remember so well any more.

Those are friends, eh? When I wrote Thorfinn's death notice this past winter, I named them all -- some people were shocked to see that sentence in there, but I know that it would have given Thorfinn a very fond chuckle and some warm tears.

The store has been sold. It closed for two weeks last weekend -- there was a farewell party, but I heard about it too late to go. A friend who was there said that the staff still didn't know whether they would be rehired by the new owners.  

In a week or so I'll go back to look. But it won't be the same, will it. Hail and farewell.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 08:57:53 AM »

Return To TAT