Author Topic: Memorials  (Read 250531 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Memorials
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 09:23:37 AM »
Barbara Epstein, co-founder and co-editor of the New York Review of Books.

She died last month -- I didn't see any msm notices, but then I miss a lot.

She was a major moving force at that journal, which itself was a magnificent invention, an inspiration to others elsewhere to reinvent the journal of literary and political commentary. Although many of the writers are immensely learned, it is entirely accessible, I think, to any general reader, and I often read reviews there that I think are masterpieces.

deBeauxOs

Memorials
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 02:04:01 PM »
Quote from: sparqui
Gosh, I was saddened to hear Red Skeleton had passed on. I'm sure he lived a long life but he was a comic hero and then some in my household. Can't verify if it's true, but my mom worshipped him because he had done so much to try to get medical health for his sick child. She so latched on to his courage in dealing with such tragedy that he became one of those icons whose integrity was not to be questioned in our home.
Red Skelton actually died in 1997 and if you check the link, you'll see that he was quite worthy of the respect and esteem that people bestowed upon him.  I adore him, for his great skills and gentleness and not incidentally, because he looks a lot like my Dad.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 02:48:05 PM »
I grew up watching these shows - Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, and, occasionally, Carol Burnett. I thought Burnett's show was dumb, not in the same league with Sullivan and Skelton.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »
I think that sparqui was reacting to the news of the death of Red Buttons, who was not Red Skelton but was also a Nice Guy.

deBeauxOs

Memorials
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 06:10:06 PM »
Yes, this is the Memorials thread.  However during their lifetimes, people often did confuse Buttons with Skelton and vice versa.  sparqui's mention of a sick child (who had leukemia) confirmed that she was refering to Red Skelton, who died nine years ago.  Hence the link.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
I never understood the appeal of Red Buttons, although he was a nice person.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Memorials
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »
Honestly, I must have a major blind spot because even though deBeauxOs provided the nice post about R. Skelton, I actually scrolled back up to the original and figured that others' must think highly of him to remember his death nine years ago on this thread! Just in the last few posts did I realize that it WAS indeed BUTTONS. So thanks for the clarification  :)
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 08:04:57 PM »
I should clarify that I adored Red Skelton. Red Buttons made little, if any, impact on me.

deBeauxOs

Memorials
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 10:26:38 PM »
Not to be overlooked: Susie Smith - a radical spirit who changed the way we look at global poverty
Susie Smith, who has died aged 55 of cancer, was one of the real heroes in the fight against global poverty. The vision, humanity and intellectual honesty she showed during a 30-year career with Oxfam changed the world and touched countless lives. Working first as field director in Zambia, then as a researcher and senior manager at head office, she played a key role in transforming Oxfam, rewriting the rules of engagement on poverty, recasting Britain's charity laws and supporting the fight against HIV/Aids.
More here.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
Poet-activist Louise Bennett, a living legend and cultural icon in Jamaica where she was born in 1919, has died in Toronto where she  had lived for the past two decade

story
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

webactivist

• View Profile
    • http://dawn.thot.net
Memorials
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 12:23:24 PM »
Quote from: Debra
Poet-activist Louise Bennett, a living legend and cultural icon in Jamaica where she was born in 1919, has died in Toronto where she  had lived for the past two decade

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Memorials
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 10:18:55 AM »
ANKARA, Turkey - Duygu Asena, a best-selling writer and crusader for women‘s rights in Turkey, has died after a two-year battle with a brain tumor. She was 60.

Asena had trained to be a teacher but began writing for newspaper women‘s pages in the early 1970s.

The message, as she wrote in a magazine article, was this: "Escape the vicious circle. Fight for your equal rights," and get a job as a first step toward freedom.

story
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 09:06:08 PM »
Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, Canadian UN observer, has been confirmed dead.  CBC report here.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Memorials
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 09:51:19 PM »
From the article above:

"On behalf of the government of Canada, I extend my profound sympathy to the family, friends and loved ones of this brave soldier, who served our country with distinction and honour," Harper's statement said.

Oh so brave CBC forgot to comment on how Harper had basically said that these UN peacekeepers had put themselves in danger by staying at ther posts.

I am so profoundly sorry for his wife, children and friends -- and for Canadians who are really deeply saddened by this murder.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Memorials
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 06:05:56 AM »
The attack also killed three other UN observers from Austria, China and Finland.

Yes -- and senior spokespersons for each of those countries spoke out immediately, strongly and clearly, to condemn the murders and the disproportionate use of force.

Only Canada weasled.   :rant

Return To TAT