Author Topic: Australian Civil Servants asked about sex life  (Read 2129 times)

kuri

• View Profile
Australian Civil Servants asked about sex life
« on: March 18, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »
Amongst other things. And I thought the Canadian security clearance was intrusive and unrelated to security!

MINISTERIAL staff in the Rudd government are being forced to list their history of sexual partners, before gaining security clearance.

Staff are also expected to reveal extra-marital affairs and detail homosexual experiences.

More than 300 ministerial and electorate staffers have been ordered to fill in a 25-page form and attend an in-depth interview into their personal finances, drug habits and sexual history before gaining high-level security clearance.

Friends are also interviewed, and information about drug use and sexual history is cross-checked.

link

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Australian Civil Servants asked about sex life
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:03:36 AM »
In this day and age, someone worries that you could be blackmailed if you'd had a same-sex liaison? Not only is that an eye-roller, but in Australia, anyway, it ought to be illegal for the government or any other employer to take that position.

Some day I'd love to set some of these investigators down and ask them whether it ever bothers their consciences, the questions they ask, the rooting about in other lives that they do. Turnabout is fair play.

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »
In my former life I went through a similar process in order to get a very high level security clearance.  I didn't actually have to list names or anything, but yes, a detailed going-over of anything even remotely "questionable".  The thing is, as skdadl makes a nod to, very little of what they seemed to consider scandalous or blackmail material was a big deal to me. My rule of thumb was to tell them only what I couldn't cope with seeing in the newspaper. But listing sexual partners?  For heaven's sake!  :roll:  Maybe it's so the government has something to blackmail their staff members with?

I have a good friend who works high up in the government; I must ask her about it.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
That sounds ridiculously invasive. Doesn't Australia have privacy laws? What are the unions saying about it?

I had to get high level security to work with confidential financial information (RevCan and Finance) and it was strictly focused on a ten year history of employment and location. I also had to be interviewed as a close contact when my friend/room mate was getting a security clearance to work with the RCMP. For the latter, they do ask questions about drug use.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT