Author Topic: Polling  (Read 2270 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Polling
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
Ok, I know. Polls.

For today's BP post on the Angus Reid poll, I read the whole methodology section. It was, if I may say, kinda interesting.

The response rate was 8%, meaning that they got only 8% of people they called to respond and complete the poll. They called more than 33,000 people to get just over 1,000 people's responses. They call each number 5 times trying to get a response before marking it non-responsive.

I don't do polls of any kind. Depending on my mood, I either bang the phone in his/her ear or say 'I don't do polls' then hang up.

But were I less anti-social, I might respond with 'What's it about?' If the answer was some subject about which I am not well informed, I'd decline to answer.

So, it seems to me there is a bias just in who chooses to answer the questions. I would answer questions on abortion, as would the fetus fetishists.

Anybody know how pollsters correct for this kind of bias? Maybe they don't tell you what it's about until you agree to do it. But then presumably one could still quit and not be reckoned.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Polling
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »
So Sun media has this bullshit poll story:

Canadians back restrictions on abortion: poll                              
  By Brian Lilley, Parliamentary Bureau                              

Note who they quote:

"Politicians are out of touch with Canadian sentiment," said Andrea Mrozek, manager of research at the Institute for Marriage and Family.
Mrozek also thinks most media are out of touch with public sentiment on this issue.
"We've been told that women are of one unanimous opinion on abortion, and that women are overwhelmingly pro-choice," Mrozek said. "As it turns out this poll shows much more diversity and even much more of a pro-life sentiment amongst women."

Here's the full poll.

A majority of respondents believe that human life should be protected before birth but another majority believe that the choice to have an abortion should be left up to the mother.  Very few Canadians (8%) want an outright ban on abortion in Canada.
Also of significance is the finding that over half of Canadians are willing to openly discuss the abortion debate.
Although older Canadians (60+) were more likely to be opposed to abortion, their views on public funding are consistent with all other age groups.  However, older Canadians were somewhat more likely to want to just leave the debate alone.
Those in Atlantic Canada feel strongly about the debate. They were most likely to believe legal human rights ought to be protected before birth and were most strongly opposed to abortions specifically.
The most significant divide was between the NDP and Conservative supporters. NDP supporters were more likely to favour public funding of abortions compared with Conservative supporters.  Similarly, almost no NDP supporter believed that abortions should be illegal compared with the 15% of Conservative supporters who believe this should be the case.

Who is this Abacus outfit?

Sun News Network, the upstart all-news and talk television network, said Tuesday it had teamed up with one of Canada’s bright new market research firms, Abacus Data Inc., to provide it with polls on everything from voting intentions to attitudes about Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s decision not to attend the royal wedding.
Sun News Network is set to launch on April 18. Abacus Data Inc., headed by David Coletto, launched last July.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Polling
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
CARP (senior's group) is mostly Ontario-based, but, still, their latest polling is interesting:

CARP Political Poll

2. What is the most pressing problem facing Canada today?
The Senate scandal/reforming the senate 40 Votes 9.2 %
Lack of transparency in government 145 Votes 33.3 %
Climate change 29 Votes 6.7 %
Stubborn joblessness/poor economic growth 72 Votes 16.5 %
Urgent need for pension reform / pension security 24 Votes 5.5 %
Health care reform/funding 62 Votes 14.2 %
Regional differences block progress 12 Votes 2.8 %
Increased Income Inequality 40 Votes 9.2 %
Canada’s image abroad 1 Vote 0.2 %
OTHER / DON’T KNOW 11 Votes 2.5 %
Total436 Votes

(since CARP is a senior's advocacy group, I thought pension reform would get the most votes)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:17:28 AM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT