Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: final season  (Read 4640 times)

Audrey

• View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica: final season
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
With regards to gender ( we are afterall in a feminist forum) do you ladies find BSG better in terms of the gender roles it protrays ? All the Star treks along with most sci-fi is quite horrid in theis respect. One would think that since completeley imaginary and curently impossible worlds are beiong created they could be a little more progressive. although I think that sci-fi in general tends to be progressiver sometimes.
Make revolution- love your body

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »
Not to step on any tippie-toes but we are actually in a forum where feminism is assumed but not necessarily the primary seat of analysis, as it were.

My own dudely take on TV SF, at least, is that it's, well, TV.  In the TV SF medium, there's more scope to put women in situations that our society would be less likely to put them in, but the price is that it's also possible to play up the "eye candy" aspect of the whole thing.  cf. the "Galaxy Quest" parody.

BSG pushed the envelope a little bit by giving humanity a female leader and prophet, a woman Moses or Brigham Young, as it were, and by making the hotshot pilot a woman as well.  The price was having the chief villain be a seductress in a red dress, a satanic female.

ETA: Oh, and, the "mixed loyalties" character is female as well.  

The male cast was basically all the standard tropes.  In a good way, of course.  But: son with giant Oedipus complex, drunken bitter XO, and all the rest.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
Where I live there are a lot of film people. BSG wrapped up today and the actors gave the crew gift bags with BSG momentos in them. Fans of "Grace" will be amused to learn that her contribution was a BSG "pocket rocket".

deBeauxOs

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
Quote from: Mandos
... the series has been consistently well-done from the beginning and even after it became clear that the writers were just making up the plot as they go along and never really had a Plan.
It says right at the beginning that the Cylons have the Plan.  Hey!  Does that mean that we know for sure that the writers are NOT Cylons?  :whis:

BTW, that YouTube hyper-summary is accurate and funny.

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »
Re: the Cylon plan, watch episode 218 to understand what become of it.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
Mandos, are you being cryptic?   :mrgreen:

What's your opinion on Cylons: alien life-form or not?  

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »
I've seen every episode up to now, and we're in the middle of the fourth season.  So if I were to answer your question, it would be a spoiler.  But I'll instead quote the show starting from season 1:

"All this has happened before; all this will happen again."

deBeauxOs

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »
Oh all right.  Be like that. :pout:  I will rent season II, then.

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »
Wait, you WANT spoilers?

Well, highlight the following text for a summary of 218, which is the best episode of the show, IMO:

Boomer (ie, the Sharon aboard the Galactica), having been exposed, is imprisoned for much of the second season in the brig and then a glass cage like some experiment, with abuse meted out regularly.  It's a nightmare for her.  Eventually, she is shot by Callie the engineer (unplanned by Roslin and Adama, and mostly unpunished since you can't be charged with the murder of a machine).  This happens by about episode 208 or 209.  Then by episode 218, we see both her and Baltar's original girlfriend resurrected on Caprica.  For Boomer, this is an even worse nightmare, because it's the end of any hope that she had that she was a part of the people she loved.  For Caprica Six (what we eventually call Baltar's original girlfriend), this is a different nightmare, because although she is a hero of her people, she believes she has killed the only person in the universe (Baltar) whom she actually loved...

It turns out that resurrection is not for free and it is quite traumatic, especially for humaniform Cylons with false memories.  Caprica Six is assigned as a caseworker for the social reintegration of Boomer, who has moved into her old dwelling on Caprica and refused to acknowledge what has happened.  On Caprica, the Cylons are reenacting a clockwork, sad parody of human life there (harassed periodically by the small remnant human population that has managed to survive and not be enslaved for Mengelistic experiments).  Think identical people serving cappuccinos to other identical people in identical starbuckses, day after day after day... Together Boomer and Caprica come to realize that whatever plan the Cylons had, it still hasn't answered the question: "Are you alive?"  That realisation causes a revolution (which eventually itself goes sour, but that's still working itself out).

deBeauxOs

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:14 PM »
Kewl.  I figured that question would be key to the overall story, considering where, when and by whom it was first asked.

That is an excellent summary, BTW, far better than most film or series episode that are written on websites.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »
Not only am I hooked on this show but I've also started reading recapitulations for it at Television Without Pity.  Jacob, the reviewer at TWoP shares your fascination for BSG's strange religious mythology, Mandos.  

He (I'm assuming that he's a gyu) provides some insight in understanding why some of the storylines for the ongoing female characters seem inconsistent from one episode to the next by dissecting some of the misogynist motifs that one of the writers attributes to their actions and which is also reflected in the dialogue this Michael Angeli scripts.

Return To TAT