Author Topic: May Day/Workers Rights  (Read 4970 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: May Day/Workers Rights
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
Very appropriate right now, I hope it translates to Canada.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »
Well, the leader of the Sask Federation of Labour made an offhand remark as emcee at yesterday's protest rally, saying that maybe SK workers need to consider a general strike.  Of course, the media went nuts over this and reported nothing of what the three fabulous speakers had to say!

Now, I realize that's not related, directly, to Iraq and Afghanistan, but there is a strong movement on the ground here to make those connections among issues and the people working on them.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Appropriate for most especially Saskatchewan, every union in every province and every FoL should be supporting this.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »
What really gets my goat is the government's promotion of the anti-worker, anti-union, anti-woman bills.  "Sask should have essential services legislation because every other jurisdiction in Canada does."  That's like my kid saying he should have a Wii because all his friends have one.  Good grief!  And about changes to the Trade Union Act, they're saying it's all about "democracy in the workplace" and "secret ballots."  What a load of crap!  Employer interference in the process of unionization is not about democracy!  And, isn't signing a union card already a secret process?   :rant:

Grrr!  I'm getting charged up! And I have no union!!!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
Ujal Dosanj made the same (absurd) argument last week about why we should resurrect the (paranoid, anti-democratic) clauses in the Anti-Terrorism Act that were allowed to sunset last year (the Liberals wanted that last year, but they're going along with the Cons right now). "Other countries have much more stringent laws" said our Ujal.

Oh, well, then. If everyone else has lots of human-rights abuses, why can't we have some too?

My mother would have gone up one side of that flaccid fool and down the other if she'd heard that argument. Honestly. Where did these people grow up?

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »
skdadl, I would very much appreciate "hearing" what it is your mother may have said regarding that argument.  I'm working on a commentary about it and would love to quote her or you!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
Och, Berlynn, I don't think I can quote my mum directly any more (gone these four years) or my dad either (d. 1982), but we were just taught from very early on that "everyone else has one" is Not An Argument. That was partly because my parents came of age during the Depression. Not only did they never escape a certain kind of scrimping minimalist thought, but they passed it on to me. You have to have a damned good reason for wanting things or getting things.

Poor people know that, of necessity, but it has a moral basis too. I think that's the reason my antennae twitch at wannabes, for instance, even before I've worked out political arguments. So many of our politicians seem to me just to be jumping on bandwagons -- often, to my horror, the bandwagon to the south that is about to go right over the edge of the f'n Grand Canyon. Like, I do not understand that desire.

There are good reasons to desire things. Power and money are not among them (although it's never nice to be poor). I just grew up feeling that.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
The slightly-late-May-Day demo in Montréal today was a good success: spokespersons for one of the labour federations estimate the march as 50.000 people, and it certainly was big. http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Mont ... blic.shtml

Only downside is that the rallies against C-484 were the same day, and while a friend of mine was among feminists passing out "papillons" (small leaflets) calling for a coalition against C-484, none of the banners mentioned it, although it is very much an attack on women's health rights.

It was a bit drizzly but cleared up, remaining grey.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 07:08:32 PM »
Oh, that'd be good, skdadl, if I could link it to the Depression era.  Folks here still love those stories.  I shall ask my MIL, too.

Lagatta, being that I'm a unilingual anglophone I am looking for English language reports but have found none.  Would you mind posting links here if you come across any?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 07:36:03 PM »
Berlynn, I'll be pleased to. I checked CBC Montreal and the Gazette; nothing yet. I know (English-language) CBC has a small staff and rarely update their news sites on weekends. I don't post sites in French upon the expectation that everyone should read it; there was nothing in English.

In short, 50.000 approx marchers to defend public healthcare, people from quite far away (didn't see Boom Boom though, although there were marchers from his region). But not any banners against C-484. I'll also keep all of you posted on actions by the Québec coalition against it.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
TY, lagatta.  I'll keep my eyes out, too.  Oftentimes, folks in the Labour movement keep me apprised of what's going on around the continent.

ETA:  Video of Regina May Day Protest, courtesy Act Up in Sask.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
Here you go: Health care tops May Day agenda in the Gazette, fairly sympathetic coverage at that.

The demo about 4 years ago on the 1st (it was also sunny and very warm) also on a Saturday and Québec-wide, was larger, attracting at least 100.000 marchers, but this one was more than respectable with about 50.000.

Thanks for the Regina info! I can't view videos but will pass it along. People I told here were very pleased about the Regina and Hamilton actions - one friend who had lived in Hamilton especially.

I didn't attend the demo on the 1st itself organised by different leftist and community groups (though some of the groups include ones I have actually been active in, such as refugee and anti-security-certificate groups) because I feared violence either from the police or some of the "Black Block" type demonstrators, and it turned out to be a correct assessment on both counts. The police were quick to use pepper spray; the Black Block types tried to smash up stuff, which was not very wise from such a small group.
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
lagatta, thanks for posting that. I was in Montreal briefly on the weekend and my brother took me and my older kid to the march, which we managed to join as it went down to the southwest tip of Parc Lafontaine. I saw Louise Harel at that point.

We enjoyed the big cartoon heads of political leaders (there were Charests, Couillards, Jérome-Forgets) and the chants: "la santé c'est un droit; on a déjà fait ce choix" and "on veut pas se faire soigner sur le modèle USA" (though my son kept saying "sur le bord du USA").  :) I had no idea there were so many people though it was hard to see where the beginning and the end of the march were. I'm sure there would've been even more people if it hadn't looked like it was going to rain.

I was looking out for you, too; I thought you might be there.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
Thanks for that Toe. In the same vein, "Si La Presse n'existait pas", a pastiche of a popular and rather kitchy song by the late crooner Joe Dassin, describing the loss if the La Presse bosses actually make good on their threat to shut down the largest broadsheet in Québec - well, the largest paper, as the largest tabloid is already shut down. This is from Rue Frontenac, the online strike paper of the workers at Journal de Montréal, the locked-out tabloid.

Ironically, of course, Rue Frontenac is much better than Le Journal de Montréal, but the locked-out workers at the latter do have to eat.

Si La Presse n'existait pas - you tube
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT