Author Topic: Linda Diebel of the Star hath a blog  (Read 4338 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Linda Diebel of the Star hath a blog
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Linda Diebel of the Toronto Star has a new blog, Political Decoder, just started up today.

Her intro post is partly about the mess with our new blue and grey bins, which some may have noticed I've been chewing nails about -- partly my fault for not being as organized as k'in, but it gets worse, apparently, with the free grey bins -- false bottoms. Go look, k'in.

And then she introduces the chair of the recently established Indian Residential Schools Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

So that is all looking very good.

k'in

• View Profile
Re: Linda Diebel of the Star hath a blog
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »
:panic  false bottoms!

i'm hardly organized...i got the bin via decree apparently...am a bit perplexed...the blue bin that got dropped off here holds waaay more than one or two blue boxes...it's only been dragged out to the curb once...and it's not the biggest size available...

we iz being scammed...good that Linda Diebel is on the side of the Goddess...

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »
I have a ginormous blue bin by decree too, way bigger than I need -- a neighbour tells me that we can exchange down, but we have to wait until July -- ? (I do find that it is easily womanhandled -- it has very big wheels, which must mean something in physics.)

What has me worried, though, is the grey bins, for which we have to pay. No way I'm paying for my teensy garbage -- I put it out on the day anyway, so who cares if my bag sticks out the top? But if I've ever got the notice from the city asking me to choose, I didn't pay attention, so I think I'm gonna be stuck again with some bureaucratic mess exchanging down.

Gah!   :rant:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »
Gah is right, wtf was Miller thinking and his band of idiots. Is the guy trying to get un-elected or wot? Those ginormous boxes are meant for the 'burbs' where entire generations of family live in one household. And now he's trying to get rid of the target practice places to wot? lower gun violence? He's teh stupid.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:44:36 AM »
Can you recycle cat litter, and, er, droppings in Tranna? If I could compost, that would be about the only non-recyclable thing I have. I produce very little rubbish.

In the summer I save my organic veg scraps and take them back to the stall (I live five minutes from there by bicycle). I wish the co-op could get organised to compost - problem is that we will have to have structural work done and that will mean construction materials in the (very shallow) back yard.

Funny how those recycling provisions are designed for people who consume and pollute far more in the first place. That also reminds me of your LCBO recycling where you need a CAR to take the dead soldiers back to the beer store.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:52:42 AM »
Yes, used cat litter (and the, ah, contents) can go in the green box.

I have been warned against composting cat leavings domestically. Apparently the problem is the urine, which you don't want to be digging into food-producing soil prematurely. I'm no expert -- I'm just repeating what I've been told. How the mass composters deal with that problem I don't know.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:16:18 AM »
I'm glad Linda Diebel raised these problems of  "phony environmentalism".

Of course I'll also be keeping a close watch on her observations on the Truth and Reconciliation commission.  That is such a serious, and as she puts it, solemn task.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
Looks like skdadl was right...the smallest new grey garbage bins do have a false bottom...but wait for it...the false bottom is removable allowing intrepid residents to convert the "free" small bin into a "pay" medium bin...

Resourceful as they are, many Toronto residents are miles ahead in figuring out how to survive in the new, user-fee garbage world.

"I have a friend who lives in Scarborough and the word went around that you can easily remove the false bottom in the small garbage bins, effectively converting them into the same as medium ones," writes one reader.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »
skdadl has to get on top of this problem first thing demain matin. I think that Friday is our last chance to place the order. I don't think I have the mail package from the city, so I can't place the order online (requires the number they send you), but I'll be damned if I'll pay for my gar-bahge, the teensy bit I put out.

David Miller, U can have sory nxt elecshun.  :twisted:

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »
Quote from: k'in
the smallest new grey garbage bins do have a false bottom...but wait for it...the false bottom is removable allowing intrepid residents to convert the "free" small bin into a "pay" medium bin

No, there is not a false bottom, there is only one molded bottom 1/3 of the way up inside the bin.
And it is not removable, at least not without a power drill and saw, a couple hours with nothing better to do, and a package of bandaids.
And once you remove it, the bin will have no bottom at all.
Plus, the sharp-edged remnants of the sawed-out bottom and very deep supporting ribs will shred your garbage bags.

Trust me, I just inspected one at the local councilor's office. Those telling you that you will be able to easily modify the bin to hold more are full of shite.

Skdadl, today, Thursday, June 19, is the last day to order your bin. You can do it on-line at http://www.toronto.ca/target70/
Hope has met reality

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:52:09 PM »
Whew. I made it -- I found the card! You couldn't order online or any other way that I could see without the account number they give you on that card. And I couldn't find the card before -- but I dood it!

Teensy garbage, here we come.  :mrgreen:

Sheesh -- I gotta start opening the mail. I wonder whether anyone has dinged me for jury duty or sumpin' like that.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
NB: I've now seen what the medium-sized blue bins look like -- my smarter neighbour has one. But there's an irony. She was thinking that smaller would mean she could continue to store it in the under-the-porch area she and I both have, but which is not tall enough for the big new bins. Bad news: the medium-sized ones are just as tall as the big ones, only thinner. So they're not a great improvement, maybe a little less unwieldy.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »
Quote from: transplant
Trust me, I just inspected one at the local councilor's office. Those telling you that you will be able to easily modify the bin to hold more are full of shite.

I sent in the card (ordered the smallest one) but still awaiting delivery of the new fangled garbage bins.  Maybe the "false-bottom" is an urban (Scarborough) legend...anyhow that's what the Toronto Star reported.

The mid-size blue recycling bins are much taller/larger than the green bins.  Depends where you live, but in my 'hood they tend to live out front.  They're too tall to fit under most porches, and can't live out back as they're too wide to fit between most houses.  I do like that they hold so much more, and the lids are good...especially in the winter.

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »
I just got the big blue bin and geez its big. And the rules sheet says if it isnt full, dont put it out, if you have too much, ask your neighbours if you can fill theirs or wait and store the extra somewhere until next time

BS  :?
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
Bacchus, I set it out every two weeks, never full, but they take it anyway. Am I going to let a bunch of kitty tins (rinsed but not scrubbed) sit festering in the summer sun for an entire month? No way. Plus if that monster were full, I'm not sure I could get it down the steps.

Watch what the guys do with the new bins when they pick up. There is a mechanism on the truck that is lowered down, slips under the bin, rises, and slings the bin forward, dumping the contents inside. The guys don't even open the lid -- that happens automatically during the motion of the rising foot -- so it may be that they will never know what's in your bin anyway.

Return To TAT