Author Topic: Linda Diebel of the Star hath a blog  (Read 4014 times)

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Re: Linda Diebel of the Star hath a blog
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »
Are you already using it Skdadl? For us the note also said not to use it until the first recycling pickup after July 1.

They are kinda anal about things here in etobicoke
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 07:31:48 PM »
Well, people have different start dates. Everyone here started using ours as soon as they were delivered, although the big ones came about a month earlier than the smaller ordered ones.

But yes, our trucks are doing the fancy number with the moving foot, which I guess was part of the point.

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:50:39 PM »
Quote from: Bacchus
Are you already using it Skdadl? For us the note also said not to use it until the first recycling pickup after July 1.

Must be a local hold up as they  equip the trucks, Bacchus, we've been using them downtown for, what, a month, month and a half already?

The mechanised dumping is one of the main reasons that the city went with them: they expect to save a lot on worker injury claims.

And I really like the hinged lid. There were always lots of empty 4-liter pop bottles, aluminum pop cans and paper trash blowing around the street on blue box day. And trash can lids. The hinged lids should cut down on that a lot.

After many, many calls to local councilor, works, and evn Miller's office to complain about the humongous size of the 'large' blue ones, I finally got  a call back from a works guy who told me I will be getting a medium in exchange....but not until July, just like they said at the outset. Meanwhile, the huge one sits on the lawn, killing the grass.

Oh, I asked the works guy what are we to do with the trash cans we already own and now won't have room for.
Answer: you can keep them and use them for yard waste instead of the jumbo paper bags, or  the city will accept them and grind them up for recycle. You can also turn in your existing blue/gray bins.
Hope has met reality

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
the city will accept them and grind them up for recycle. You can also turn in your existing blue/gray bins.

Yes but you have to bring them to a city dumping/recylcing centre, you can't just put them out (the flyer said that too) It also suggested that you can use your grey/blue bins in the house to collect recyclables until they full then empty them in the big one kept outside. They also tell you to put your address on the bin in permanent black marker so I guess they expect them to be stolen (like my green bin was and never replaced)
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »
One of my neighbours offered to cart away my old blue and grey boxes. That has softened my attitude towards her ... a bit. I guess I'll use the old garbage bin (which I quite like -- it tones in with the house) for garden waste ... if I ever do teh pruning and teh weeding, that is.

Return To TAT