Author Topic: The spiritual and the crass ......  (Read 2832 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
The spiritual and the crass ......
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
Scientists, particle physicists, are getting nervous about the connection of their work on CERN with God. Just one of the investigations that CERN will allow is to search for the Higg's bosun. It is the little bitty, bitty, bitty, bitty, bitty, bitty (on almost to infinity) particle that provides everything with mass. It has been called The God Particle.

The term God Particle was coined in the same jocular vein that BnR has a  :technogod1: and a  :mtw:  As in it (they) controls/operates/fixes things mysterious to most people, in ways most do not understand.   (Except Debra - as she is the creator of all things Bread and all things Roses. :D )

Physicsworldsays:
We have Leon Lederman to blame. For the "God particle", that is. Since he published his 1993 book, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?, the layperson might be forgiven for believing the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is not searching for a particle called the Higgs boson, but a path to spiritual enlightenment.

The first sentence in the next paragraph is: "Many physicists hate referring to Him." Science is not concerned with spirituality - spiritual things cannot be described in the language of science .... not in lbs, millimetres. or any of the other 'yard sticks' (sorry  :oops: ) that are used. Not that they are unconcerned, but that is outside their scope .....  Many feel that it not only 'disses' the other work done by physicists, but:
"They say it reveals little of the particle's function, and is savoured by writers with little rhetoric. For some non-particle physicists, the God particle epitomizes the hype that surrounds particle physics. Then there are those who think divine connotations are always a bad idea."

Now the God Particle term has morphed into God's Particle.

Einstein used references to spirits to describe his work:
"Quantum mechanics...yields much, but it hardly brings us close to the secrets of the Old One"
but his 'old one' would not be recognizable to Oral Roberts or even the Pope.

There is a move afoot to ban 'religious metaphors' in describing scientific investigations:
...... a fear of pandering to the religious right that is driving the expulsion of religious metaphors. If certain atheists succeed, religious metaphors will go the way of the dodo. The God particle is not one of the best, but it might be one of the last.

I am always delighted to see language organically expand in one area and perhaps shrink in another ... it speaks to the glory of humanity: sometimes by 'accident' sometimes by 'design' - yet I will miss the connection of one mystery to a great one.  :(
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: The spiritual and the crass ......
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
Obama twists Easter and equates with WAR.
Weekly Address

I love Easter, but not because of religion or spirituality, but because it is earth's time to dazzle us in N. American again. It is suppose to be about renewal, but earth is so abused and uncared for, it has been dying a slow death for 50 years and it's speeding up.
Here is how Obama desecrates both the Christian tradition and the Earth itself.

One such war-time service was held on the black sands of Iwo Jima more than sixty years ago. There, in the wake of some of the fiercest fighting of World War II, a chaplain rose to deliver an Easter sermon, consecrating the memory, he said "of American dead – Catholic, Protestant, Jew. Together," he said, "they huddled in foxholes or crouched in the bloody sands…Together they practiced virtue, patriotism, love of country, love of you and of me." The chaplain continued, "The heritage they have left us, the vision of a new world, [was] made possible by the common bond that united them…their only hope that this unity will endure."

Their only hope that this unity will endure.

On this weekend, as Easter begins and Passover comes to a close, let us remain ever mindful of the unity of purpose, the common bond, the love of you and of me, for which they sacrificed all they had; and for which so many others have sacrificed so much. And let us make its pursuit – and fulfillment – our highest aspiration, as individuals and as a nation. Happy Easter and Happy Passover to all those celebrating, here in America, and around the world.

Hypocrite, perhaps he forgot to mention what Chaplain said before he died:

Father George Zabelka, a Catholic chaplain with the U.S. Air Force, served as a priest for the airmen who dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, and gave them his blessing. Over the next twenty years, he gradually came to believe that he had been terribly wrong, that he had denied the very foundations of his faith by lending moral and religious support to the bombing. Zabelka, who died in 1992, gave this speech on the 40th anniversary of the bombings.

It Is All A Lie or Blessing the Bombs by George Zabelka

Stick that down your throat Obama/Brown/Blair/Bush and of course Harper, you all make me sick! And btw, I am having a wonderful day, a lovely day, I'm happy today, but I never forget what you all have done and what your capable of.

For Christ's Sake, End The Wars, The Occupations, The Twisted Dysfunctionality that you all live by!

Dear Mr. President, Easter Has Nothing To Do With War
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Well said, Toe.   :cry:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
Quote from: Croghan27
Scientists, particle physicists, are getting nervous about the connection of their work on CERN with God.

This was part of the plot of "Angels and Demons" starring Tom Hanks. It got ridiculous when a vial of 'anti-matter' was stolen.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
Quote from: Croghan27
Scientists, particle physicists, are getting nervous about the connection of their work on CERN with God.

This was part of the plot of "Angels and Demons" starring Tom Hanks. It got ridiculous when a vial of 'anti-matter' was stolen.

Indeed, Boom Boom .... CERN has an amazing PR arm, and their press releases spoke of that film constantly for quite a while - still do mention it occasionally. This is somewhat frowned upon by the bona fide scientists at the project as it is not conclusively proven that anti-matter really exists - and the theory says that when anti-matter contacts our (substantial) matter both cancel each other out. So, how do you tote a bunch of anti-matter about? If you somehow suspend it by lasers it takes a mechanism that would fit into a train. Sneaking it our of Switzerland/France would be ... problematic to say the least.

About the CERN PR machine ...here is an example of their overheated prose:

"He compared it to events such as the Industrial Revolution, the electric and the nuclear age. Such events followed breakthroughs made by Isaac Newton, Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein.

It won't happen immediately, maybe centuries down the line, but it could answer questions about the Big Bang, alternate universes and whether time travel is possible, Kaku said.

"It would change people's philosophy," he said."

crogh knows what they did to lower the temperature of the particle containing tubes to almost absolute zero - they just transfered the heat to the hot prose.  :whis:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
That movie Angels and Demons is quite a good whodunnit, although I found it quite formulatic. I giggled a lot at the idea of 'antimatter' being smuggled in a vial, however. How stupid do film makers think we are? :?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
from the Guardian .....

The pagan roots of Easter

Easter is a pagan festival. If Easter isn't really about Jesus, then what is it about? Today, we see a secular culture celebrating the spring equinox, whilst religious culture celebrates the resurrection. However, early Christianity made a pragmatic acceptance of ancient pagan practises, most of which we enjoy today at Easter.

So the fun stuff is the pagan stuff - while Christianity is an add on.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
That movie Angels and Demons is quite a good whodunnit, although I found it quite formulatic. I giggled a lot at the idea of 'antimatter' being smuggled in a vial, however. How stupid do film makers think we are? :?
:iagree Yeah.  Everybody knows you have to use a reliquary. :angel_kitty:
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
:lol:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:37:55 AM »
Gah! I'm back but I'm not back. I read this @ BBC and it resonated for me.

"Anomie" was another condition once favoured in the 19th Century by   the sociologist Emile Durkheim, and from a sociologist, a sociological   condition. Anomie was defined as an isolated mood caused by the   breakdown of social norms, sense of purpose and rules of conduct.

There are even some romantic-sounding forms of melancholy: the German idea of weltschmerz  - a yearning sense of "world-sorrow"”                      There was also a spiritual form   of depression called "accidie" much brooded on by some of the saints -   this was "dryness of the soul". The writer Malcolm Muggeridge also   complained of suffering from it at times.
There are even, I think, some romantic-sounding forms of   melancholy: the German idea of weltschmerz  - a yearning sense of   "world-sorrow" and unfocused sadness for humanity: or the French   nostalgie du passé, that bittersweet Proustian condition of longing for   the past, with a rueful sense of regret for missed chances and lost   opportunities.
I also rather like mal du pays - the exile's yearning for the   country of childhood, and it comes to me in flashes, both in the spring   and autumn, when I think of Irish country lanes, and the smell of   fields of mown hay. Ah, bonjour tristesse!
No doubt we are better off for shedding much of the stigma   surrounding mental illness - but with it, have we lost some of the   variety, the dark poetry of the human condition?
weltschmerz, yeah that's it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT