Author Topic: amsterdam  (Read 3526 times)

vmichel

• View Profile
Re: amsterdam
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
Congrats shaolin! I visited Amsterdam 7 years ago and I absolutely loved it. I'm really excited for you!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
Here is a thread from a foodie board I'm on about "vegetarian and vegan in Amsterdam": http://www.chowhound.com/topics/502277

There have also been quite a few discussions at the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree. But of course these mostly concern "going out" places. Near Muiderpoort, you'll find lots of falafel and veg salads etc at the many Turkish holes-in-wall, and other places.

The Tropenmuseum (Museum of the Tropics) is very close by - it used to be one of those shameful colonial exhibitions replete with stolen arts and crafts, dubious ethnology and the rest of it, but now of course it values the human cultures of the tropics. The building itself is well worth seeing.

:bike :bike :bike :bike
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
Thanks for the thread.  It reminded me to check out Happy Cow.  My flatmate is from Amsterdam and we're going to be there at the same time when I check things out in July.  He's also a vegan so I expect he'll be able to tip me off on a few places.

Checked the ferry from Newcastle today and even booking three months ahead, £150 is about as cheap as it seems to get.  At least in the summer months.  

It turns out I'm only going to be in Amsterdam for a few days before heading off to Turkey for a few weeks.  I'm still unsure of what I'll actually doing when I get there.  Here is the event I'll be at: Ecotopia.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
Nothing like getting me glued to an Anne Frank site for too long ...

I'd seen that brief glimpse of Anne on film on YouTube, looking out of a window at the flat on the Merwedeplein. (See? I've been reading this stuff for so long I actually know Amsterdam neighbourhoods. I don't know Dutch, but I think I see three words there -- sea, wide, and plain. The area was some distance away from the city centre; the day the family went into hiding above and behind Otto's city-centre office, Margot biked there before dawn with Miep; Otto and Edith and Anne walked the whole way.)

I've been trying to write something to the topic for months now for POGGE. Maybe finished soon. Thanks for the link.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
Nae trouble at all.  

I saw it mentioned once or twice in the past few days and today I followed a link from HNN's Cliopatria to see it.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT