Author Topic: Summer cooking ... or not  (Read 15351 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer cooking ... or not
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
I've made a salsa with tomato, mild onion, a bit of chilli (it isn't very hot) finely chopped rocket (roquette/aragula) and added an overripe nectarine, finely chopped. The bit of sweetness is nice. I'll eat that with some blue corn tortilla chips, some fresh Portuguese goat cheese (a WONDERFUL summer food - it is made in Toronto) and that's about it.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Summer cooking ... or not
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:07:43 AM »
Made a ragoût de gourganes with fresh broad beans (gourganes) from the market, along with some olive oil, onion, fresh local garlic, diced overripe tomatoes and a dash of white wine. Not putting this in vegetarian cookery as I added a bit of minced bacon, but of course you can omit the bacon. You could also use the juice of a lime or lemon in lieu of the wine.

The vegetable stew is simple, but broad beans are quite a bit of work as you not only have to pod them but also shell them (remove the outer skin). They are very tasty and nutritious though.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

steffie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »
I have recently discovered those fresh pizza crusts with the sauce packets, 2 pizzas for roughly 3 dollars!!  Here's what I put on it tonight:

pesto, and a white romano and ranch sauce, topped with:

red onion
mushrooms
grilled green/red peppers
grilled chicken breast
mozzarella cheese
(was planning to add sliced tomato but forgot, then realized that it would have made it too moist)

delish!!

Funny thing:  I had a strange stomach ache(?) pain right after eating a slice, thought nothing of it, then when reading up on pesto discovered that

composition of basil is affected not only by the chemotypes present in its many different varieties, but even by influences such as the time of day of harvest, which may explain contradictory and inconsistent reports that a too-generous helping of pesto may cause a temporary but distressing intestinal reaction in some people. (emphasis mine) - Wiki

Pizza is cooked directly on the middle rack for about 8 minutes at 400 degrees, then broiler for about 3 minutes.  I found more time needed for more toppings.

MORE TOPPINGS!!!!!!   :drool
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
Steffie, interesting about the basil/pesto. Basil is a powerful herb, often used medically, and anything like that might have negative effects on some people. Pesto, an emulsion of basil, garlic and sometimes cheese and/or different nuts (most typically pine nuts, but walnuts - much cheaper and also very tasty - are often substituted) is about the most powerful basil delivery system one could imagine, like basil crack. I have no trouble with that, but do with many other things...

I made succotash, based on a Native Amerindian dish - corn and beans, eh? with lovely fresh YELLOW corn and more gourganes (a variety of broad bean that is a speciality here). Added oregano, parsely (finely minced), onion, garlic, a slightly-hot pepper and a chopped mild red pepper, the latter more for colour than anything else (and I had some, in a jar). Hey, it's vegan. I have a hard time digesting dried beans but not these young ones...

Delicious. Of course making anything like that means far too much for one person, so I'm packing up gifts for friends, including one who is just back from a trip. Good karma, that.

Green things are growing beautifully, but such sad tomatoes. :(
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:23:30 PM »
Mint, often used in soothing herbal teas can also be a stimulant.

Mmmm.  Mojitos.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
I've been learning to make those. I think they work better if you make sugar syrup first, though. Granulated sugar doesn't dissolve very well in cold lime juice.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »
The best recipes call for cane syrup, which is available at Caribbean grocery stores.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip, though it looks like there's a shortage of those in these parts. I can locate only one listing on-line, and it's in New Westminster. Well, for the difference between a good and a great mojito...

deBeauxOs

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »
Asian grocery stores might carry cane syrup too, now that I think about it.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
I'll start there, then.

In other rum-related news: I'm just done adding the fifth layer (peaches) to my first-ever rumtopf. All fresh, local stuff (previous layers being strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and cherries). Two more, or maybe three -- plums, then pears and/or apples, depending on how much room is left. And then...

Mwahaha!

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 02:02:09 AM »
Quote from: 'lance
Thanks for the tip, though it looks like there's a shortage of those in these parts. I can locate only one listing on-line, and it's in New Westminster. Well, for the difference between a good and a great mojito...

I think there's a place somewhere around 25th and Victoria, for some reason.  Or possibly up Fraser amidst the South Asian stores around 45th.  Failing that check the gourmet warehouse at Clarke and Hastings, they carry lots of obscure goodies - for a price.  Cheaper than a trip to New West though.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
*waves at timebandit*

Over on Babble you mentioned a recipe for one-jar-at-a-time pickles ...

If I asked you very very nicely would you share it?

*bats eyelashes coyly in a nauseating fashion*

:drool
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »
I may be contributing the only greenery to an Argentine friend's birthday get-together. Salad w/lots of mixed greens (including lovely so-called "wild" roquette - it isn't really wild, but smaller and stronger-flavoured than the usual kind), but also a Spanish-type rice with safran and lots of freshly-shelled peas. I'm not putting in any ham as the recipes call for - there will be too much meat anyway, and I know at least one vegetarian friend might show up so that will mak another thing he can eat So much work though, shelling the damned things! :stirthepot:

Should be fun though :party3
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:24:29 PM »
To shell peas: Get two large bowls, one full of raw unshelled peas, the other empty. Take them outside to the garden, and sit down. Do tops and tails. Toss the tops and tails over your shoulder into the garden. Open pea with fingernail and scoot those peas into empty bowl. Toss shell over shoulder.

All done.  :D

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
:drool  shelled fresh peas. I don't know why but when I read that I made two celeries with cheez wiz, ha! I read today Monsanto and Canada have agreed to quietly (shh, it's a secret)approved a new genetically engineered corn with eight different insect- and weed-fighting traits, but farmer and environmental groups in Canada say the approval was rushed and environmental risks ignored. Sad day for corn lovers. Organic corn is not easy to come by.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT