Author Topic: Fall food  (Read 4434 times)

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Fall food
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »
I haven't been there since 1988. All along the coast there were half-finished hotels (subsidized by the government to encourage tourism) and public buildings. Take the money and run.

One night we were at a hotel in Cosenza, the main town i guess. There was a meeting and dinner-dance of the local Lion's Club. It quickly became apparent to us that this was not about charity.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 12:58:18 AM »
That is just about the last time I was there. As in most parts of southern Italy, all kinds of useless half-finished infrastructure projects.

Edited to add: By "there" I mean Calabria, or for that matter anywhere south of Rome. Obviously some babblers might remember that I was in central Italy in 2006, where I was interpreting at an event right in Perugia. But the corruption endemic to the south has only spread - people in the beautiful small city of Aquila, in south-central Eastern Italy (Abruzzi) are still living in containers and very little has been rebuilt after the earthquake. Not to mention Berlusconi's shady real-estate deals in and around Milan.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:39:54 AM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »
I have been to L'Aquila many times, as my ex used to be on the board of a cinema institute there. My God, how I loved it. I can't bear to think of the devastation.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »
I'm making some lamb kefta on little bamboo skewers - ground lamb with some bulghur or fine couscous, onion, garlic, parsley, different spices. I rarely eat red meat but picked this up at a little supermarket run by an Algerian family and when they have ground lamb it is a good price and not too fatty. One recipe says to cook the kefta over hot coals but I'm just going to do them in the little countertop convection oven. It will do. They will sure as hell be better than the frozen ones from Loblaws (and much cheaper).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Which US president famously stated that ketchup was a vegetable? Was that Reagan?

I think these lunch programmes exist more to provide an outlet for agricultural surpluses than to provide healthful food for children and teens at school. In France, the rules are very strict and mandate a variety of nutritious foods.

Pizza is not necessarily a bad or unhealthy food; it can feature a lot of vegetables (the one shown is ghastly - just that horrid pepperoni and nary a veg). The crust should be at least partly composed of whole grains. Ideally served in a fairly modest portion, with a salad. And not every day.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:09:15 PM by lagatta »
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
Your memory is better than mine - yes, I think it was Reagan that made that infamously stupid quote. The potato industry is one of the strongest lobbyist against healthier eating, especially with school lunch programs in the USA - they want to continue to sell french fries as part of what they call a "balanced" diet.  ::)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
The ketchup as a vegetable controversy refers to a proposed United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Drug Administration directive, early in the presidency of Ronald Reagan, that would have reclassified ketchup and pickle relish from condiments to vegetables, allowing public schools to cut out a serving of cooked or fresh vegetable from hot lunch program child-nutrition requirements.
It was never implemented.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »
It really is the autumn now, so we can legitimately post here. I'm laughing ruefully about Antonia's "Cosenza" society story, because it seems that the top meeting place for the traditional Mafiosi here is ... the Cosenza Social Club.

However, there is still a lot of great local produce at the Jean-Talon Market and I made a little curry with a small orange cauliflower broken up into florets, some Lentilles du Puy (small lentils of French heritage, though I buy the Canadian-grown CLIC brand), bits of other veg, onion, garlic and fresh ginger of course, some coconut milk, an envelope of spice paste etc. I'm pleased with it - curries made by amateurs can be gloppy and horrible; I really did it well this time.

And a mixture of goat's milk ricotta, fresh local spinach (leaves only, blanched) and some of my dwindling balcony herbs - basil and sage, mostly, to fill cannelloni.

This will give you a rough idea of what I'm making, though that recipe has far more ingredients. With all my herbs and excellent ricotta (on sale this week at PA, a Greek supermarket) I don't need all those additions, and mine will be vegetarian (but not vegan). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spinach-and-Cheese-Cannelloni-107789

The curry is vegan.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 11:26:49 PM »
Ms. smoothie of the greens (daughter) has asked me not to do anything 'new' with kale or nuts or squash or anything. She wants a turkey dinner ala traditional for Thanksgiving. And I was thinking of doing a few new things, but alas I'm so glad she doesn't want anything 'new', I'm tired. So I did the cranberries and froze them, did a pumpkin pie today which I'll freeze and place nuts/cream day of. I also did an apple/peaches pie, frozen now. I made lentil/orange soup as well. I called my butcher fearing the beef news, all cleared thankfully cuz I'm doing a prime rib dinner for friends who helped her move to TO. *sigh* such a lot of food and prick head Ford knocked out a gorgeous huge garden the other day; still am recovering from that outrage. Feeling quite blessed for the moment, knowing that could change any day.

When do we get off the wheel of thanksgiving/xmas? Personally I detest it, and the alternative is too horrifying. As good consumers tho I suppose we'll carry it on until we can't.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 04:10:56 AM »
Isn't it odd when young people show such conservatism, which I would associate with older folk? Squash isn't traditional? It is one of the Three Sisters.

I can't abide heavy Thanksgiving dinners - fortunately Thanksgiving is all but ignored in Québec - it mostly just means a day off. And in general we've been doing lighter fare at the year's end holiday period - alas much of this involves fish and other seafoods, which are all becoming unsustainable - but also several vegetable dishes to lighten things up. No heavy sweet desserts, but there is cheese along with fruit and sorbet. The only heavy, traditional thing is at least one tourtière - those can also be made vegetarian, by the way, but I did a duck one last year as well as a vegetarian one.

I'm just sick about the destruction of that garden - it is a true expression of contempt and hatred: "you plebs have no right to grow and eat healthy food".  Make do with the food bank, and the ghastly HFCS-laden, sugary, bad-fat, bleached flour-based crap left over from corporate "food products". Ford should be shamed into buying an equivalent harvest's worth of organic vegetables for the group cultivating the garden, though that will never replace it being the product of their own initiative and hard work.

I bought a potimarron at the market; a French cultivar of the variety of squashes that included the red kuri. The flesh really does have hints of chestnut, and is a deep orange. Extremely nutritious and very, very tasty. I simply roasted wedges of it, brushed with olive oil.

Now they are announcing an olive oil shortage and possible major price increase. That is practically the only lipid I use in the kitchen, except for some insipid oil, usually sunflower, for the wok.

My post was originally much longer, with several links, but the internet software froze on one of them so I lost it. And I'm up with insomnia, so hoping to go back to bed vary soon. I should ask my cat for sleeping lessons...
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
Isn't it odd when young people show such conservatism, which I would associate with older folk? Squash isn't traditional? It is one of the Three Sisters.

I think this is about the kids bf, very disadvantaged childhood that went on into young adulthood. So far he's loving Caribbean/Indian, a whole new world of foods and cultures opening up as well as living in the big city, going to Jays games, jogging along the Humber, ROM all new stuff. Thanksgiving is comfort food, giving a sense of belonging. And yes Squash included, plain baked with a touch of maple syrup, no kale in stuffing. You should have seen his face at last years Thanksgiving (first meeting) at my best friends house when she lit up a spliff in the kitchen (no tobacco allowed), that was priceless, the poor boy was petrified of us. Ha! one step at a time.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
Ha, that is hilarious!

Problem with my European friends is that when they roll spliffs, they are inclined to put a lot of tobacco in the mix. I'm very sensitive to tobacco smoke - of course in some countries, I just have to put up with it. Think it is still allowed in cafés and pubs, but not restaurants, in the Netherlands. One of the worst places for it is Germany, which one may think odd given how "green", organic and rational Germans are in other ways.

Moroccan friends had the pure stuff, though, and miniature water pipes to indulge in it.

I don't put any maple syrup in squash as it is already just about as sweet as I can stand - more inclined to add sage, and of course onion, (real) shallot and garlic, but I'd add those to almost anything.

Continuing on in the druggy vein, I have to go out and buy a bottle of wine for a supper this evening, and it is pouring rain. One SAQ outlet would be on my way, (SAQ = LCBO) but it closes at five on a Sunday.

At least I'm not out of coffee! (drug trifecta?)
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Continuing in the druggy vein.....this was such fun when just a little bit high I was told, they went hither and yonder til 3 a.m.!.http://www.toromagazine.com/culture/art/2d0358da-133c-6e14-e9de-a15d35b61d71/Nuit-Blanche-2012/?gclid=CJyPkJOT3rICFclQOgodMS0A8w   Can't imagine having that much energy to go thru all those wonderful visual art sites. It makes me tired just reading about it.

Raining? None here so far, but cloudy.

Return To TAT