Author Topic: Summer cooking ... or not  (Read 15598 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Summer cooking ... or not
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2012, 06:51:37 AM »
I'm copying the recipe Antonia posted above last year, as those wonderful healthful things are coming into season now, but today I'm cooking some small green beans and potatoes to eat cold in a kind of salade niçoise.

At the other end of the culinary spectrum (The Very Worst of Recipes for Health?), at the Globe and Mail website yesterday, I saw how to "improve" corn on the cob by wrapping it in bacon.

Yes, I know bacon adds flavour, but isn't it becoming rather a culinary cliché, and a way of "being bad"?

Edited to add: Thought I'd add these Second World War vintage tips, including "overeating is overheating"...
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2012/07/vintage-summer-tips-from-the-u-s-government-overeating-is-overheating/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120708-Weekender

This could go in the July thread too, with the record-breaking heatwaves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:17:20 AM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
Have perfect my Cobb salad since last summer. Eating one right now.

Mesclun greens plus arugula
Julienned carrot (yes!)

Grape tomatoes

Chicken or turkey

Blue cheese

Whole avocado

Bacon bits (I use fake because I never eat pork anymore)

Garlic powder (not salt), red wine plus balsamic vinegar, olive oil

The first two ingredients are basically prepared, prewashed etc. Just throw them in the bowl. (I buy a big box of mesclun and a small of arugula. I can get 3-4 salads out of that.

Sometimes I buy rotisserie chicken which lasts me and the furkids a few days. Most often I buy vacuum-packed precooked chicken or turkey strips, without preservatives.

The goal is to make this as simple as possible, with a minimum of preparation. I now have it under 10 minutes. I buy enough of everything for 3-4 salads and I love this so much I am happy to eat it that many days in a row.

Plus it's so healthy!
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
That looks lovely. The Globe and Mail bit about the corn on the cob wrapped in bacon sort of grossed me out. Bacon is appealing, but it is terribly unhealthy. I can buy ethically-reared pork here, but still avoid it. I'll eat it chez des amis, but few friends eat much pork.

Antonia, I have a portable carrot (and other veg) julienne gizmo from Zyliss that is carrot orange. It is going in my bag with the Opinel knife, the corkscrew and a flexible flat cutting board along with other necessities. Not useful for doing julienne veg for a crowd, but for one or two people, good insurance of carotene. I've seen one in Southeast Asian shops that is cheaper (think it is made in Thailand), don't know whether it is as good.

I confess that I dislike grape (or worse, cherry) tomatoes. The ideal would be small ripe ones, perhaps San Marzano (we don't get the kind people in Italy - perhaps Greece? - use in salads, that are a mix of red and green when fully ripe. I'll eat them, but I cut them up as I find them too watery and don't like them "popping" in my mouth.

I've never seen precooked chicken like that here without preservatives and dodgy stuff.  Since I most often work at home, I buy good-quality chicken (at least "poulet de grain", organic if I have the $$) and roast it with no spices in my little countertop convection oven. Furfriend eats at least half. He is a very old baby and I feel the need to indulge him, as he won't always eat his high-quality croquettes.

I roast the chicken ahead of time, usually early in the morning, as I don't like to have to do a lot of 'stuff' at suppertime.Though today I've prepared new green beans and tiny Ratte potatoes (once again in advance) for a semi salade niçoise, though it won't necessarily involve tuna.

I was at the St-Hubert street sale this week, and so much horribly greasy junkfood. No, I didn't eat any. It was really too greasy to appeal. On the other hand, I happily met up with friends, and found a lovely denim jacket.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
Look for Maple Leaf Prime Naturally Cooked chicken and turkey.

e.g.

TURKEY, WATER, VINEGAR, POTATO STARCH, FLAVOUR, SEA SALT, HONEY, CANE SUGAR, SPICE, GARLIC POWDER, ONION POWDER.

ETA: Oh and the reason I use grape tomatoes is to cut down on all work, including chopping tomatoes. The goal is to get it in the bowl asap before I get tempted to eat junk.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:45:37 PM by Antonia »
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
I usually like a couple of shows on The Food Network, but all of them have taken to saying stupid stuff like "bacon makes everything better". No, it doesn't.

Case in point: someone on that network demonstrated how to make 'bacon ice cream'. I think the network should have been fined for showing that - North Americans are obese enough without that crap.

ETA: OXFAM says:  "The Sahel region of West Africa is once again likely to face a serious food crisis that could, if early and effective action is not taken, prove as costly to lives and livelihoods as the past food crises. Oxfam aims to reach 1.2 million people across the region with aid."

I find it incomprehensible that folks are putting bacon in ice cream while millions around the world are hungry. I'm starting to really hate The Food Network.   :annoyed
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:13:58 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »
Most people in Sahelian countries such as Mali, Mauritania (which also straddles the Sahara) and Senegal are Muslim, so sending them bacon would be adding insult to injury. Desertification is continuing apace, and with climate change is affecting the Mediterranean countries north of the Sahara as well. It played a part in sparking off the Tunisian revolution, and a friend sent me photos taken in Greece that show hilly areas (high hills or old, low mountains) that have not recovered from the huge fires there a few years back.

Boom Boom, there is also President's Choice Black Label (the most expensive line) bacon marmelade. (you must also remember marmelade in big tins, in the postwar years, but it didn't contain bacon, just Seville oranges).

Pork production is also highly polluting of waterways, and seems especially cruel. Pigs may be taboo in different religions, but they are also very intelligent animals, and suffer terribly from how they are treated on megafarms.

Some other food media are much more attuned to environmental and social justice problems relating to food. I don't have a television at home (I look at a bloody screen all day, much of it looking up definitions and translations, so don't need that, hence have only seen the Food Network when visiting people. Best thing to do is write to them; it can't hurt.

Margaret Wente wrote one of her usual stupid columns slamming the "locavore" movement as an upper-middle-class indulgence. I am by no means "upper-middle-class" (whatever that means, I assume for someone with as little analysis as her, it would refer to income and consumption) but I strive to buy local produce whenever possible.

Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »

Boom Boom, there is also President's Choice Black Label (the most expensive line) bacon marmelade. (you must also remember marmelade in big tins, in the postwar years, but it didn't contain bacon, just Seville oranges).

I remember getting Dundee marmalade also in white earthenware jars, as well as glass later on. I hate President's Choice - it's such a bourgeoise idea. I'm starting to think the only decent show on The Food Network is Chef At Home (Michael Smith - from PEI I think, maybe Nova Scotia). He uses local fresh ingredients whenever possible, meals are always simple, nothing gross or really unappealing like all the other shows on that network.

I love marmalade, but rely on the homemade stuff from friends here - being in such a tiny community we don't get quality stuff - just Kraft and Smuckers. Both are overloaded with sugar.  :annoyed

ETA: If anyone wants to make a few bucks, send me some Dundee - I'll make it worth your while.

ETA: I think Dundee is out of business - this is the only company still making marmalade in Dundee, Scotland: Mackays

excerpt: The Dundee Orange Marmalade
   In 1797 marmalade as we know it was first produced in Dundee, Scotland.  We are now the last remaining producer of this iconic product, in the Dundee area.

(I'm Scotch on me mudder's side - Munro -  me granny was very old fashioned Scottish)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:23:56 AM by Boom Boom »

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
Boom Boom, I'm right with you on the Food Network. There are almost no instructive gentle cooking shows any more. Most of the shows have some element of "Reality TV" competitiveness about them and they're simply formula TV with language warnings! I wrote a little bit about such shows recently:

http://www.twrblogtalk.blogspot.ca/2011/02/watch-your-language.html

You're right about Chef Michael Smith. His show is still enjoyable. He's originally American -- from New York -- but he came to PEI years ago. He spent time here in Nova Scotia -- had a restaurant here -- but he's now back in PEI. (He got married and went back to PEI and they had a baby. I regret to say, the marriage didn't last. I think his little boy would be around 10 now.)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
Thanks, Sharon. I'm trying to get The Food Network off my satellite feed.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
I blanched some Vlita (a type of green amaranth eaten as a leaf vegetable in Greek cooking; similar bitter herbs are eaten throughout the Mediterranean) this morning, precisely because I knew I couldn't be bothered to blanch and prepare it at suppertime.

Yes, the "reality show" and "tough guy" approach to cookery shows is more than a bit obnoxious. However, Boom Boom, if it doesn't save you money, why not keep the channel and only watch the show(s) you like?
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT