Author Topic: Summer cooking ... or not  (Read 15067 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Summer cooking ... or not
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »
I doubt my downstairs neighbours would approve of that method for shelling peas.

The peas, rice and onion and saffron dish is very good indeed. Have now finished washing several types of greens, dried them in the spinner, and have them all in a bag. Took out cheese so I don't forget it (forgetting the wine is unfathomable)  ;)

I've replaced almost all my plastic food storage vessels with glass, though I have kept some real Tupperware for the express purchase of taking food to parties.

Toe, that is bad news indeed. Miss real (yellow, and not supersweet) corn. The new stuff tastes far too sweet for my palate. This frankencorn - very scary stuff.

Not much organic (fresh) corn, and when there is, it is very, very pricy.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
I do not see what is wrong with my shelling method. The tops and tails and shells will rot healthily, and even before that happens, squirrels or raccoons will eat them, so where is teh problem?

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »
When I was growing up on the farm we would cover the kitchen table with newspaper, pile the freshly picked pods in the middle and sit around it shelling peas and talking or listening to the radio or both.  We used cereal bowls and dumped them into the large mixing bowl my mother was using.  For garbage bags we had the paper grocery bags from Co-op which were thick and stood up well.  

We would dump the shells out in the caragana bushes.  We didn't have raccoons or squirrels to eat them, and the gophers were more interested in digging tunnels into our potato hills.

ETA: oops, quoted myself instead of editing myself. :whis:
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
skdadl, only problem a slightly fussbudget (but nice) downstairs neighbour. But I certainly wish I could compost the pods - seems such a shame to toss them in the rubbish. I believe one can put them in soup stock.

Party went well - far too much food as usual so my pea and rice dish was not finished, so I brought some home. Friend C is a diehard carnivore and wouldn't eat it though the week (too many peas, I guess). She does eat salad, so I'm glad I at least got some greens into her, and she'll have a very nice salad (boston lettuce, rocket, radicchio, minced parsley etc) for a few days.

My dish was more pea than rice - just one cup of uncooked basmati, and a medium-sized pyrex bowlful of peas.

Another friend, M, doing some kind of research sabbatical here this year, is from Barcelona and she is a vegetarian - she made a lovely tortilla - the Spanish egg, potato and onion thick omelette that has the same name as flat cornbread in Mexico and Central America.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:11 PM »
I cut up and breaded and fried a fennel bulb yesterday ! They taste like licorice.
Make revolution- love your body

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »
I have never managed to acquire the knack for breading and frying, or I'd do it all the time.

Sans potato, I love tortilla.  Of both continental provenances.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:49 AM »
This was a typical Spanish potato frittata, with onion and perhaps garlic.

Mandos, you don't like potatoes?

Audrey, fennel is in the same family as liquorice, and anise (the flavouring in all those Mediterranean drinks like ouzo, raki, sambuca, pastis etc. For those who don't drink any alcohol, there is also anise syrup to put in water for the same kind of drink). That is one of the flavour families people usually love or hate, like fresh coriander leaves (cilantro). I love cilantro, but detractors think it tastes like soap.
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:08 AM »
Ricard is also anise-flavoured, yes? That is the only such flavoured drink I've ever liked, but it is very refreshing on a hot summer's day -- actually, dangerously refreshing.   ;)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 08:47:45 AM »
Ricard is a pastis, skdadl. According to the "pastis" entry in French Wikipedia, seems Pernod is not a "true" pastis.

Yes, it is one of those evocative drinks, but no chaleur du Midi de la France this year to make it so alluring.
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »
Lagatta: Potatoes in crispy forms, yes, I like.  Potatoes in stewed or boiled forms, generally not, unless it's something like pierogi filling.  I think in omelettes they wouldn't be the crispy kind, would they?  I've become a little more tolerant over the years about this childhood dislike of mushy potatoes (which causes my parents some consternation considering the number of dishes in which âlû is prominent in South Asian cooking, as well as other root vegetables I don't like), but I don't go out of my way to eat them.

I've also never been a big fan of lentils/dâl, if you can wrap your head around that one.

But it's the mushy foods that I dislike most.  Never liked melon.  Don't generally favour boiled forms of squash.  Can only eat eggplant in grilled form.  And so on...

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
Actually, a properly made Spanish potato tortilla IS rather crispy. No, it is not "low-fat" - the potatoes are fried in olive oil, and then eggs, potatoes and onion are ALL refried in olive oil. The one we had on Saturday was crispy.

I do understand an aversion for mush - in South Asian food I'm more inclined to the drier dishes. I LOATHE poutine - why do that to good frites?
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
Oh, I love poutine, actually.  If served *very* fresh, with the gravy and cheese *just* poured on.  So that the potatoes are still crispy.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 01:50:39 PM »
You trying to have your first heart attack before I have mine Mandos?

I love poutine as well.

pookie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »
Am trying for a reservation at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal this weekend.  If so, will try the foie gras poutine.

ETA: Re cooking, had a hankering for succotash this weekend, but couldn't find corn to my liking. :(

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »
(Trying again to post this).

This past weekend and the coming week is HOT in Edmonton so I made up a big batch of watermelon gazpacho to keep handy in the fridge, and got a little goat cheese to put on top of it. Also, made sure I have fixings for Pimm's Cup and a big pitcher of iced tea made up. That, along with lettuce/nasturium/raspberry salads from the garden should get me through a while. Also considering pizza with chard or kale from the garden but I don't think I want to turn on the oven for even a short while when it's this warm. Can I BBQ pizza with a regular dough crust or should I just get some flatbread pre-made for this?

Return To TAT