Author Topic: Bike Train 2008  (Read 2009 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Bike Train 2008
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
An expanded initiative by Via Rail, between Toronto and Niagara, to encourage people from the GTA to explore the many bicycle paths and lanes in the Niagara region! Bike Train 2008 launches today

http://www.biketrain.ca/

:bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
Re: Bike Train 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
I love this idea a lot. However, Via Rail is rather pricy, no? I recall looking into that option when I had a trip to make from Toronto to Edmonton and was knocked over by the price, which worked out to nearly 3 times the cost of plane ticket.

There's off and on significant talk of building a high-speed train between Edmonton and Calgary (which I want! want! want!), and when serious proposals come forward and consultations start, I'll definitely lobby to have bike facilities on that train, which would be both environmentally sound and health supporting, but also great for tourism. Calgary has a terrific network of bike paths. Edmonton has a good network along the river valley and park stemming off from that, but dismal elsewhere. Having two bike networks joined by a high speed train would be awesome. I hope it can be affordable, too.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »
Quote from: kuri
I love this idea a lot. However, Via Rail is rather pricy, no? ....
There are reduced price seats available on some runs; I find that if I purchase my return ticket Ottawa-Toronto a few weeks in advance it costs about the same as Greyhound bus.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »
Huh, maybe it's the cross-country routes that are more expensive. (Or maybe I was too disorganized and just too late, not an unlikely event for me.  :oops: )

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
Cross-country train travel is exceptionally expensive, much more than flying -- it's one of the reasons the CPR passenger service was easy to kill, because people just couldn't afford it. That's true even if you're travelling coach (sleeping sitting up), too, and of course berths and roomettes are so much more.

The whole thing could be reorganized, of course. There are lots of people like kuri and me who would prefer a couple of days on the train to a flight. The economics of it is just a question of figuring out where one set of numbers is sinking another, and then changing that. But sleek politicians in Ottawa don't get that, since they mostly love jetting about.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 02:44:58 PM »
Especially in light of the much lighter environmental impact of railway travel.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere (where? why can't I recall where?) that international trade agreements prohibit any taxes on jet fuel directly. And that BC's carbon tax cannot apply to any flight that connects out of the province.

I have a feeling that air travel is heavily subsidized in a number of ways not entirely transparent to the casual observer either. And that train travel isn't in the same way.

Return To TAT