Author Topic: Good Read  (Read 2691 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Good Read
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »
Blog posts that have caught your eye.

Like this one;
Prime Minister Stephen Harper Sues the official Opposition for Opposing him
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
Re: Good Read
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »
Actually, I like your recent one Debra, on Rural Politics. Very important topic.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
Great post from the always thoughtful Boris at the Beav : Rant
on the responsibilties of power

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
That is a keeper indeed.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
Calling it abortion because implantation of a fertilized egg does not take place is about as psychotically absurd as it gets. Under that same definition, menstruation is abortion. So is pulling out. No sense even talking about condoms.
That analysis doesn't work for me unfortunately.

While I agree with the first sentence, the second sentence isn't correct and I don't think the bright side does itself any favours by using flawed logic.

• No implantation = Murder (cuz an embryo has been created but is without a womb for a home)[/*:m:1yd10xhd]
  • Menstruation/pulling out/contraception = prevention of conception; no embryo is created.[/*:m:1yd10xhd]
On this issue, the fetus fetishists are focusing on what happens to embryos, not what happens to sperm or eggs. The latter they tackle in other [s:1yd10xhd]of their excruciatingly flawed[/s:1yd10xhd] arguments. In other words, in this case, the analogy doesn't work.

Confession: In a former life, I studied philosophy as one of two majors at the graduate level. Logic is a required field for all philosophy students. There are few things I miss from those years, but the analysis of the structure of arguments is one of them. So every now and then, I indulge.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Although I don't know for sure how the blogger approached his opinion piece, I read the whole blog then stood back and considered how it all worked together.  It's not intended to be approached as logically argued writing, as least that's not my impression.  

It's a scatter-gun screed .... almost a Monty Python riff on the absurdity of the religious fundamentalist bureaucrats changing the definition of abortion, and contraception, to fit their ideological imperative, imo.  The choice of image used may be the tip-off (no pun intended).

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »
Bush Administration To Define Contraception As Abortion?
This is the same administration that has long argued that hate crimes legislation, intended to specifically deter violence against the LGBT community, is unnecessary. So when it comes to measures to bolster the safety of gays, existing laws are sufficient because they already provide penalties and punishment for these crimes. However, when a handful of Christians want to refuse to provide contraception to a rape victim, the Bush administration thinks special rules are warranted.

I guess I’ve finally figured out what the president meant when he stated he was a compassionate conservative. He meant he had compassion for conservatives…

be sure to watch the short video at the end

deBeauxOs

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
Wow!  That's a good connection to make.  No anti-hate laws to protect those who are the target of the haters, but lookee here, a law to protect the haters' rights to be fully employed in areas where they can do harm to those they hate.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:08:28 AM »
My wife and my daughter have made me realize that they and all the women around me are not abstractions or props in a debate. They are real people, with real rights, facing real danger from people who think women are irrational creatures who can't be trusted.
Why Marriage and Fatherhood Made Me Pro-Choice

deBeauxOs

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »
I like this blog:Law Is Cool.  Read today's post: First They Came for the Polygamists…  It makes another connection between the selective authoritarism of right-wing neo-cons and their for 'nanny' state meddling in people's lives when it suits their religious fundamentalist agenda.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »
Adorable youtube with Ellen and Melissa, but no Law is Cool.

http://lawiscool.com/
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT