Author Topic: Jersey Man in Hammersmith Palais  (Read 1610 times)

'lance

• View Profile
Jersey Man in Hammersmith Palais
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »
Like Paul Wells, I'm not the biggest Bruce Springsteen fan going, but this reminded me why I once was, and reminded me of much else besides.

In truth, it made the hairs rise on the back of my neck. Your mileage may vary. That is all, etc....

deBeauxOs

Re: Jersey Man in Hammersmith Palais
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »
Wow ... same here, not a die-hard Springsteen fan, but I agree that when he was magnificent, as in this clip, he was sublime.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:11 PM »
yup.  springsteen was one of those acts that i never listened to much but still respected.  Born to Run came out when i was a teenager and i certainly listened to that a lot but if i went through my vinyl i'm sure i wouldn't find any springsteen.  he has consistently, though, maintained a political philosophy that has its musical expression in the gutherie/seeger mold and for that i applaud him.

I do know for sure that i have a copy of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes 1978 "hearts of stone".  John Lydon is/was a sprinsteen/vanzant collaborator and, like early springsteen infused his rock n' roll with fabulous, horn section driven rnb.

next winter i'm really going to rip some of this stuff to my ipod.

ETA:  why i have so much trouble adding links under text is beyond me  :annoyed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southside_Johnny

The Hegemo

• View Profile
    • http://neutralzonetrap.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
I was never much of a Springsteen fan, but I went to the MoveOn/Vote for Change show he did in Cleveland in 2004 with R.E.M., Bright Eyes, and John Fogerty, and I was really impressed. He puts on such a high energy live show!

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »
Southside Johnny and the Jukes were more on the periphery of my musical knowledge. Meanwhile the vinyl albums I still have boxed up somewhere could probably be numbered in the tens.

I had a middle-class upbringing but could still grasp what Springsteen was on about, maybe because I grew up in a couple of small, somewhat blue-collar but mostly backwater towns. Best example: when I was 15, we planned to move from one to the other of these places, around late summer. A few weeks before this, my friend -- a good driver, and 16, but not yet licenced -- "borrowed" his brother's car, and we spent a day tooling around county back roads and rural highways.

This vehicle was maybe a 1968 Skylark or some such, a convertible -- big-ass engine, but past its prime. For example, buddy didn't dare lower the rag-top, for fear he wouldn't be able to put it back up again, and his brother -- who hadn't given him permission to drive the thing -- would have his head on a post. Toward the end of the day, we found ourselves in the neighbouring town my family was moving to, and actually only a few blocks away from our new house, just off a highway strip with the usual gas stations, a Dairy Queen, and the like.

It was one of those stuffy, oppressive days you get in eastern Ont. in late summer especially -- thunderstorms threatening, the sky a sickly greenish-gray. This reflected my mood. Summer was nearly over and I was not only going back to school, I was starting grade 11 in a town I didn't know. The neighbourhood had some cracked pavement, lots of weeds, a couple of small factories, and between these things and the quality of the light, looked shabby and hopeless (which it wasn't, really).

I distinctly remember thinking: shit. This is Springsteen country.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »
damn!  Thunder Road is now playing constantly in my head!  the "big band" version though.  is it still called an ear worm when you like the song?

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Quote from: 'lance
It was one of those stuffy, oppressive days you get in eastern Ont. in late summer especially -- thunderstorms threatening, the sky a sickly greenish-gray. This reflected my mood. Summer was nearly over and I was not only going back to school, I was starting grade 11 in a town I didn't know. The neighbourhood had some cracked pavement, lots of weeds, a couple of small factories, and between these things and the quality of the light, looked shabby and hopeless (which it wasn't, really).

I distinctly remember thinking: shit. This is Springsteen country.

While i can certainly understand your connection of springsteen and the mood you were in at the time, 'lance, i doubt that eastern ontario backwaters really looked that much like Asbury Park New jersey http://www.drakkar91.com/ap/asbury6.htm
 ;)

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
Oh, I'm certain not. Not that I'd have had any way of knowing, at the time.

[cracked old voice]

Not even MTV had been invented back then, consarn it, let alone MuchMusic.

[/cov]

deBeauxOs

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
Quote from: chester
... i doubt that eastern ontario backwaters really looked that much like Asbury Park New jersey ...
Strangely enough, some of it does, around Cornwall for example.  The St-Lawrence shoreline is different, but if you have ever travelled some of the back roads of New Jersey and Pennsylvania in and around the Delaware river - and I have - some of those bleak little towns are a bit like eastern Ontario

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 02:07:46 PM »
Yeah, though the river does change everything. And I remember a lot of Eastern Ontario as being somewhat hillier, once away from the St-Lawrence or Ottawa rivers.

The river, about the only hopeful thing thereabouts, does bring to mind both Springteen's "The River" and a song by Sting about his hometown in the North of England, near the Scottish border:

"All This Time" Sting

I looked out across
The river today
I saw a city in the fog and an old church tower
Where the seagulls play
I saw the sad shire horses walking home
In the sodium light
I saw two priests on the ferry
October geese on a cold winter's night

And all this time, the river flowed
Endlessly to the sea

Two priests came round our house tonight
One young, one old, to offer prayers for the dying
To serve the final rite
One to learn, one to teach
Which was the cold wind blows
Fussing and flapping in priestly black
Like a murder of crows

And all this time, the river flowed
Endlessly to the sea
If I had my way I'd take a boat from the river
And I'd bury the old man,
I'd bury him at sea

Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the earth
Better to be poor than a fat man in the eye of a needle
And as these words were spoken I swore I hear
The old man laughing
'What good is a used up world and how could it be
Worth having'

And all this time the river flowed
Endlessly like a silent tear
Father, if Jesus exists,
Then how come he never lived here

The teachers told us, the Romans built this place
They built a wall and a temple, an edge of the empire
Garrison town,
They lived and they died, they prayed to their gods
But the stone gods did not make a sound
And their empire crumbled, 'til all that was left
Were the stones the workmen found

In the falling light of a northern sun
If I had my way I'd take a boat from the river
Men go crazy in congregations
But they only get better
One by one
One by one...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT